Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Going down yes, but uphill it would be incredibly difficult to keep the front down. Its one of the negative sides to the SL, its not the best climber. :)
Thats why i removed the mounted stem and changed the handlebar too.
If you want to upgrade your fork, change the stem into 0 degrees one and maybe a handlebar with 20mm rise. Specialized delivers the SL with a 6 degree stem and a handlebar with 28mm rise. That´s useless, even when you leave the 150mm fork.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Swapping the front and rear brakes from SRAM to Shimano XT was a massive upgrade. You would need to get the following:

- two new shimano olive and barb insert kits.
- Shimano brakes of your choice.
- Shimano mineral Oil and Bleed kit.
- New 6 bolt rotors of your choice (203mm front and 180mm rear ice tech is what I used).
- Caliper adapter for front 203mm shimano rotor. Make sure you get the one in the photo. 203 rotor adapter.PNG
You need to cut the SRAM rear brake line at the lever and use a barb connector fitting (see photo) to attach an old brake line to the end you just cut and pull it thru to the rear swing arm. Then you attach your new shimano brake line to the barb on the old brake line and pull the new line back thru the swingarm and frame back to the bar. The barb has one left hand thread and on right hand thread.

Barb connector reverb stealth on amazon:
barb connector reverb.PNG

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Swapping the front and rear brakes from SRAM to Shimano XT was a massive upgrade. You would need to get the following:

- New 6 bolt rotors of your choice (203mm front and 180mm rear ice tech is what I used).
- Caliper adapter for front 203mm shimano rotor. Make sure you get the one in the photo. View attachment 26707
You need to cut the SRAM rear brake line at the lever and use a barb connector fitting (see photo) to attach an old brake line to the end you just cut and pull it thru to the rear swing arm. Then you attach your new shimano brake line to the barb on the old brake line and pull the new line back thru the swingarm and frame back to the bar. The barb has one left hand thread and on right hand thread.

View attachment 26708
It´s not that massive. I changed brakes on my last LEVO from SRAM to TRP, including new cable routing because the TRP has wider cables. Removing motor etc. ...
Hope the Shimanos work well.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
XT's offer much better performance, modulation, much better stopping power with less finger force and les arm pump. It is night and day between the SRAM brakes on the carbon comp and the new Shimano XT 8120 4 pistons I installed. The actual work of swapping the brakes over is not "massive" if that is what you mean.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
31.8 mm enve bar and 31.8 mm stem I bought three years ago...not sure the exact model. looks like the M6 stem in 40mm. I think the bar is close to 25mm rise like the M6 bar they offer now.

I've got the same stem, but 55mm I think - and the DH bars (which I think are now called the M7) Mine are almost 3 years old.
I removed 1 of the spacers from underneath and put it on the top. Will see how that rides, and then swap another if I need to. I'm on an XL, but haven't found the front end lifting any more than my 2017 Stumpy on steep climbs.

Still tempted by a 160mm Lyric though - but not sure whether to order with the same 51 offset, or go with 42?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The ground control and the purgatory work petty well, much better than i thought when i decided to try them.
The grips are fine, no problems with them, and yes, i ride the XTR pedals. I´m very used with them. Why not? The SL is almost like a Stumpjumper to ride, so no problem.
Your tyres and grips would both be awful for me and where/how I ride. But cool if they work for you. I see both the stumpy and the SL as very capable of Enduro style riding though rather than XC so would also choose an spd with more of a platform if clipping in. We're aw different tho, eh?
Thanks for explaining your choices.

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Has anyone used or considered an oval chainring? If so, would you keep a 30t or go up to a 32t? Do you have to change the chain and increase the number of links?

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
Can someone help me understand shock measurements a little better. The spec sheet says the shock is 52.5x210mm, but I’m only seeing 50x210 or 55x210 in the dpx2. Do I go for the 55? If so do I need to change out anything?

Hoppy

Nov 1, 2018
Washington
I’m gonna try a dpx2 sunday i think i got a 210x52.5 direct from fox through my lbs. since i could not find the 52.5 listed anywhere either. I’m hoping the external battery will still go in.?

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
I’m gonna try a dpx2 sunday i think i got a 210x52.5 direct from fox through my lbs. since i could not find the 52.5 listed anywhere either. I’m hoping the external battery will still go in.?
Keep us posted! I’m curious too. I don’t have the extender currently, but don’t want to lose the option.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I need some advice.
I thought to replace the brakes on my SL. The SRAM G2 ULTIMATE, 4-piston caliper by the Shimano XT BR-M8020 / 8000. Personally I think the XT brakes a lot better than the G2 but does anyone know the weight of the 2 sets and what do you guys think about replacing the Sram with the Shimano?[/QUOTE

New 12 speed groupset weights

Shimano M8xxxx painot.png

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto

- Caliper adapter for front 203mm shimano rotor. Make sure you get the one in the photo. View attachment 26707

View attachment 26708
Massive upgrade from which SRAM brakes? Certainly not from the G2 Ultimates.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
yeah but i want the shock more i think. Need to figure out how much battery i end using most of the time

Remember the shocks that come with the SL are not standard - they are tuned by Specialized to minimize pedal bob.

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Are the Ultimates not just the same as the G2 RSC but with better levers?

The materials are different in both the caliper and levers:
For the Ultimate, we held nothing back. Our engineers sculpted the finest materials - titanium and carbon fiber - to make this our lightest four-piston brake ever

But the "base" SL comes with Guide R, not G2 RSC...

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
So it doesnt like climbing or going downhill?
It'll just take more rider input mate.
I know how difficult a concept this is for your average Emtb enthusiast tho . ;)
Lol. You realise that this is my first eeeeb.

I was just surprised on the feedback. If it dont like going up and it dont like going down then

Seriously note though there might be some improvement needed on the geo which I'm sure in next years model they will sort out. Which is usually the case with spesh

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The materials are different in both the caliper and levers:
For the Ultimate, we held nothing back. Our engineers sculpted the finest materials - titanium and carbon fiber - to make this our lightest four-piston brake ever

But the "base" SL comes with Guide R, not G2 RSC...

My Expert came with G2 RSC's, and I find them pretty poor. Nothing to do with the weight of them - more the lack of stopping power. I will be replacing them this weekend hopefully!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
New 12 speed groupset weights

View attachment 26714
XTR chain weight in your table is a misprint
as is the shifter

10 speed Zee shifter 120g (£22) 12 speed XTR is £70 (127g)
10 speed Zee R/Mech 270g (£44) 12spd XTR is £170 (242g)
Deore 11-36 Cassette 350g (£24) 12spd XTR is £200 (376g)
SRAM 1030 Chain 264g (£13) 12 speed XTR is £45 (262g)

overall weight is lighter than XTR and £103 Vs £385
*online prices

I honestly can't see that many people in the market for a super lightweight 37lb Eeb would ever need a 42t sprocket. Never mind the stupidly large 51T XTR has. and if you do it's possibly not the weight of the bike you should be looking to reduce ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Seriously note though there might be some improvement needed on the geo which I'm sure in next years model they will sort out. Which is usually the case with spesh
For who?
Fashion followers?
There's nothing wrong with the geometry (if it suits your preferences)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I honestly can't see that many people in the market for a super lightweight 37lb Eeb would ever need a 42t sprocket. Never mind the stupidly large 51T XTR has. and if you do it's possibly not the weight of the bike you should be looking to reduce ;)

I'm 6ft 2" tall and am 82kgs - so definitely not over weight... but am maybe underpowered!
On Saturday I was riding my SL up climbs where I NEEDED that dinner plate at the back. It was a slow climb, but it was something I'd have ran out of puff in about 2 mins of my regular bike. The SL had enough power to get me to the top - even though it took 15mins! :p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles