Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
If the Levo SL is truly discontinued it is a victim of marketing, not poor design. Like the automotive horsepower wars we are in a newton-meter war and selling the least powerful e-bike is not a winning strategy. It is not that 35 n*m is insufficient, it is in most cases. Take a look at the motor test numbers in the image.

Going from 35 to 65 n*m gets us less than 10% gain! Someone is measuring torque differently of just plain fudging the numbers. 80 n*m starts to show improvement but still little more than 10% faster. Finally at 90 n*m we see some real gains, almost 20%.

As for geometry, most riders that actually ride a Levo SL like it. Many who only ride spec sheets don't. Top professional racing drivers can tell if a tire is 1 psi off or if shock damping is slightly too much. The rest of us have no idea, even if we can tell something is not quite right we still don't know what it might be. Same with bike geometry, few actually can tell something is off or know what to adjust

So it looks like the Levo SL will soon be discontinued or replaced but it is not likely Specialized will try a similar formula again, where *on paper* it appears the bike is way outclassed by the competition. It's a shame, I like mine as it really fits how and where I ride.

View attachment 83810

I can't believe anyone who buys such an expensive piece of gear will do so based completely on marketing and what the numbers say. When I bought my first emtb (Kenevo 2020), I thought more power would be the thing I would want the most. My wife bought a Levo SL and it was enough power to get her up the mountain to ride back down and still get a good work out. I sold my Kenevo as it was too heavy to ride down the mountain which was changing the way I was riding. I bought a Levo SL and upgraded the fork and think its a great bike! I have ordered a Kenevo SL as research (marketing?) tells me that the rear suspension will be better but if the bike is too difficult to handle on the steep tech trails I like to ride I will sell it as the Levo SL will keep me going for awhile longer.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
LevoSL had lot of discounts everywhere at least for a year. The one we bought for wife was Comp Carbon marked down to 5300 Euro from (Retail is anywhere from 7000 to 7800 Euro.. the MSRP kept changing during Covid).
In fact it's the only bike discounted in local Specialized shops :- ).

Makes sense, there is lot they didn't get right with this bike except being first and introducing niche, but amazing category. Price being the biggest one.

The bike can live perfectly next to Kenevo SL with some geometry update. But the engine could use some tweak... for both me and my wife, the power is more than enough. But that noise... it's so horrible I turn off the motor when I see more then 2 hikers :- ). Too much of engineering compromise, since the noise is the same in Eco as well. If it takes 300 more grams to keep it silent... I would take that...

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
LevoSL had lot of discounts everywhere at least for a year. The one we bought for wife was Comp Carbon marked down to 5300 Euro from (Retail is anywhere from 7000 to 7800 Euro.. the MSRP kept changing during Covid).
In fact it's the only bike discounted in local Specialized shops :- ).

Makes sense, there is lot they didn't get right with this bike except being first and introducing niche, but amazing category. Price being the biggest one.

The bike can live perfectly next to Kenevo SL with some geometry update. But the engine could use some tweak... for both me and my wife, the power is more than enough. But that noise... it's so horrible I turn off the motor when I see more then 2 hikers :- ). Too much of engineering compromise, since the noise is the same in Eco as well. If it takes 300 more grams to keep it silent... I would take that...
Im very close to pulling the trigger on a lightly used Levo SL. The one thing holding me back is if I can put up with the noise. I rode a Kenevo SL recently for a few minutes which is the same motor. I didn’t find it too bad but the owner said they do get a bit noisier with higher cadence and also when the weather is warmer. It would be good to hear others thoughts on the noise who have had an SL for sometime.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I currently ride around freezing point outside, and the noise is identical to Autumn which was 20deg C.
The difference ramps up with cadence uphill... on flat terrain it's hard to stress the motor at any cadence given how smoothly and lightly these bikes move compared to full-fat ones.

I also find the noise to be identical to wife LevoSL and my KSL, so there wasn't any tuning that some people in reviews believed (rather odd placebo).

I don't mind the noise myself as much... but I am deeply embarassed by it around others :- ). It's like damn drone.

The pitch is super high and I have rather very good hearing.

I would by KSL again and again, because there is absolutely nothing like it out there. It's not great e-bike, it's amazing bike that happens to be somewhat e-capable.
But current Levo SL I am less sure about. The Orbea is imho stronger contender, but I wanted identical system in our family for easier service, warranty and range extender swapping.

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
Probably time for an update to the motor and geo. Possibly going to an EVO style frame for the LSL. The Specialized price point jump was ASStronomical too.

I bought my wife and I LSL's a couple months ago. We bought them to have fun and do longer, out of the ordinary rides. Now all this gimmicky testing about who can get up the hill the fastest etc. Is that what Ebikes are going to be all about? Ebike drag races up the hill? It still depends on your fitness...Ridiculous if you ask me. I want a capable all around Ebike that I can still throw around on jumps and berms and do drops without that "tank" feeling.

The motor noise is a non issue for us and it starts to fade away. Would I like it to be silent, yes, but I don't want a bike that rattles and clunks (EP8 etc). I had a couple ride past us on our Amish bikes and they both had Orbea Rise'...they were humming too.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Probably time for an update to the motor and geo. Possibly going to an EVO style frame for the LSL. The Specialized price point jump was ASStronomical too.

I bought my wife and I LSL's a couple months ago. We bought them to have fun and do longer, out of the ordinary rides. Now all this gimmicky testing about who can get up the hill the fastest etc. Is that what Ebikes are going to be all about? Ebike drag races up the hill? It still depends on your fitness...Ridiculous if you ask me. I want a capable all around Ebike that I can still throw around on jumps and berms and do drops without that "tank" feeling.

The motor noise is a non issue for us and it starts to fade away. Would I like it to be silent, yes, but I don't want a bike that rattles and clunks (EP8 etc). I had a couple ride past us on our Amish bikes and they both had Orbea Rise'...they were humming too.

My wife and I also have Leve SLs (upgraded suspension) and thoroughly enjoy them for all the trails we like to ride. here in BC. Of course we would appreciate a quieter motor so we could listen to the sounds of nature, the groans and moans of others riding up the trails and the creaking of our joints but we feel the high pitched whine also scares off the bears!
What particular updates in geometry do you see lacking in the current Levo SL? I seem to be at a riding level where I don't have any complaints about the bike.

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
My wife and I also have Leve SLs (upgraded suspension) and thoroughly enjoy them for all the trails we like to ride. here in BC. Of course we would appreciate a quieter motor so we could listen to the sounds of nature, the groans and moans of others riding up the trails and the creaking of our joints but we feel the high pitched whine also scares off the bears!
What particular updates in geometry do you see lacking in the current Levo SL? I seem to be at a riding level where I don't have any complaints about the bike.

The current Levo SL is a dated SJ platform. I have a '22 STUMPY EVO and that is a sweet bike. Modern geometry and updated motor is probably in store for the '23 Levo SL.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The current Levo SL is a dated SJ platform. I have a '22 STUMPY EVO and that is a sweet bike. Modern geometry and updated motor is probably in store for the '23 Levo SL.

I read all the marketing brochures and watched the promo videos about how revolutionary the EVO is but how many of he setting have you changed and what difference have you noticed? As stated, maybe at my level I need something substantial to notice a significant change. A +/- 1.5 degree change in the head angle is something I am not going to spend $200 on to see if I can notice a difference. Our Levo SLs have Ohlins coil rear suspension with a 170mm Ohlins air fork and we ride a mullet setup. I have a Cascade link on mine. These geometry changes are all very quantifiable and noticeable on the trails we ride which are mostly steep and technical. While I will be the first to admit my upgrades are not what the designers/engineers had in mind when they developed the SL, I will also state that they work for us and I am not willing to buy a new bike every couple of years to keep Specialized in the black. Happy trails!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I guess that again it depends what you ride. If it’s knarly you’d just get the Kenevo SL. They won’t want to make it too close to that in geometry. Will they possibly just leave the SL platform to the Kenevo as most reports say it climbs about as well as the Levo SL. and it could blur the lines.
Kenevo SL has a head angle only a degree slacker than the latest FF Levo(which you can also make slacker or steeper) but longer chainstays. It’ll be interesting what they do with the Levo SL

Levo SL would be good geo for me currently.I like fast handling bikes and ride trails with lots of turns and undulation, not that much point and blast. The motor noise is my only reservation but maybe I’m overthinking it. Quieter must be better though as long as performance and reliability don’t suffer.
My Epic Evo is an incredible bike for where I ride.
I’ve come to realise that every updated model
Isn’t always a step forward. Newest isn’t always better.

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
I read all the marketing brochures and watched the promo videos about how revolutionary the EVO is but how many of he setting have you changed and what difference have you noticed? As stated, maybe at my level I need something substantial to notice a significant change. A +/- 1.5 degree change in the head angle is something I am not going to spend $200 on to see if I can notice a difference. Our Levo SLs have Ohlins coil rear suspension with a 170mm Ohlins air fork and we ride a mullet setup. I have a Cascade link on mine. These geometry changes are all very quantifiable and noticeable on the trails we ride which are mostly steep and technical. While I will be the first to admit my upgrades are not what the designers/engineers had in mind when they developed the SL, I will also state that they work for us and I am not willing to buy a new bike every couple of years to keep Specialized in the black. Happy trails!

The EVO has a lower planted feeling on the trails, absolutely rips going downhill and pedals way better than the previous versions of the SJ. The EVO Expert is what I have with Float X and RX tune w/ .6 spacer and Cascade Link. The EVO you can also change many of the settings... BB high or low, the rear chain stays short or long and the degree of head angle...this is what makes the EVO better. you can taylor it to your style of riding be it trail or park etc.

I have my BB high, chain stay short and middle on the head tube.

In comparison, I have the Expert LSL w/ DPX2 w/ the same .6 spacer and Cascade Link almost identical setup and it feels good...just not as good. I did buy a X fusion HLR coil and I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
I would second that. Have had my Levo SL just for about seven months now, but I don't find the engine noise is a distraction at all. When riding in Eco it is barely audible, then still very restrained in Trail mode, only to be a little more dominant in Turbo. But still far from nerve-wrecking, imo. And the big bonus: there is no rattling whatsoever when riding in rough terrain or going downhill etc.

cjc.emtb

Oct 13, 2020
Puerto Rico
Had 3 motor issues today on my 2020 LevoSL. Had freewheel engagement going backwards and motor moved cranks by itself going forward… Is there anyone with the same problem?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I picked up my very lightly used(157 park miles and 4 charging cycles) 2021 SW Levo SL on Saturday. Had the firmware updated at LBS as it had never had any done and been unused for the last 6 months.
I’ve been out twice now and really enjoying it so far. I didn’t want a FF, having ridden one before, and still like to pedal. Although a fair bit heavier than my Epic Evo it doesn’t ride like it. It’s not as playful as the Epic obviously but I feel like it descends quite like my Stumpy from a couple of years ago, just more planted.
Still getting used to the bike and tweaking the suspension settings but it’s certainly given me a different experience and I like the option as an alternative to the Epic
I had been a little worried about the reported motor sound but I don’t find it an issue. I got the chance to ride one a few days before pulling the trigger which convinced me. You can hear it, of course, but it’s quieter than the wind in my ears and I can still easily hear the trail chatter. I don’t feel it is intrusive in the slightest. A couple of friends have FF E-bikes, one has a Bosch motor and one a FF Levo. The FF is quieter but you can still hear it, the Bosch is about the same.
The SL is so quiet going downhill which I was a little surprised at.
The most impressive thing is the apparent natural feel of the motor, when it cuts out about the speed limit I also can’t really detect it. I’m impressed so far. Hopefully it will stay reliable, although I still have a years warranty left.
Time will tell if this becomes the bike I ride the most but I’m suspecting it will be! I’ve averaged 148 heart rate on the two rides which is what I usually do on my non E-bike so I’m still getting the desired workout. I’ve just gone further!!
Not the power for everyone but it’s certainly right for me as someone who enjoys fitness and a bike that is still a little playful.

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
My 2020 Levo SL reached its 2nd anniversary yesterday. The bike has done 4500 miles still on the original motor & the battery shows 100%
Photo shows yesterday's long climb from Kilnsey to Mastiles Lane in the Yorkshire Dales.

P1190518-01.jpeg

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
My 2years one week old SL (4500miles) stopped working today. LBS think it’s the torque censor and will need a new motor. anyone else had this issue.
Why would faulty torque sensor mean a new motor? Curious if they hassle you on warranty being a week out of warranty. I've been waiting to hear what motors cost for SL's once out of warranty, won't be long until a lot of people hit their 2 year mark.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Why would faulty torque sensor mean a new motor? Curious if they hassle you on warranty being a week out of warranty. I've been waiting to hear what motors cost for SL's once out of warranty, won't be long until a lot of people hit their 2 year mark.
my thoughts exactly regarding the torque sensor But specialized seem to just put new motors in regardless if it’s still under warrant.
if they say I’ve got to pay then I’ll obviously be asking questions.
I’ll keep you posted.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
My motor died at 2300 miles. Just quit engaging. Bike was 1.5 yrs into warranty. Had a new motor from Spez in about 10 days. Never found out what happened with the original motor. 1100 miles on new motor, going strong.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
my thoughts exactly regarding the torque sensor But specialized seem to just put new motors in regardless if it’s still under warrant.
if they say I’ve got to pay then I’ll obviously be asking questions.
I’ll keep you posted.
Is that through Certini?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Got the bike back today with a new motor replacement. 1200 miles on the stock one. One thing I noticed right away is how quiet this new motor is.

Since we seem to be on a near identical time frame - I suggest you keep an eye on the right crank.

I got my sl motor back a week ago, same issue. A week later and the R crank is coming loose every 30-60 km - tightening it up to the recommended torque does not completely get rid of play. My theory is that riding on the old motor with slop has partly worn the crank where it mates with the new motor. I should have a new crank and bolt by the weekend. I'm not bothering with trying for warranty because it's just as likely I've created a subtle bend in the crank from pedal strikes and thiat had been hidden by the slop in the old motor.

PS I swear this new motor is more powerful. Yesterday I was matching a merida e120 uphill over a 60 km ride ( shimano e8000) , swapping across bikes this new sl motor was quieter than the shimano AND gave more instant power, there was nothing in it side by side uphill with either rider.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles