Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Levers are the same as the Guide R from what I can tell, the difference is the RE setup is supposed to be optimized for EMTBs. There is only the one adjuster knob for reach, nothing for pad contact at all. Running the stock rotors now, may bleed out the brakes and swap pads to see what kind of difference that makes before throwing money at a new setup - I actually have an older FS bike with Avid Juicy's on it and they have better progression and power IMO but obviously the bike weighs 14lbs less.

I think I am getting a little confused and maybe its different from country to country. Here in Canada, my wife's 2020 SL came with Code R brakes and it looks like the 2021 SLs are spec'd with the same brakes according to the LBS where we bought it from. According to Specialized, the 2021s will come with Guide RE brakes. Do the RE caliper look the same as the Code R calipers (which are the same calipers that the CODE RSC brakes come with)? I am not sure what OPTIMIZED could mean but the RE brakes cost $20 less than the Guide R brakes. Things that cost less usually mean some compromises were made.

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I think I am getting a little confused and maybe its different from country to country. Here in Canada, my wife's 2020 SL came with Code R brakes and it looks like the 2021 SLs are spec'd with the same brakes according to the LBS where we bought it from. According to Specialized, the 2021s will come with Guide RE brakes. Do the RE caliper look the same as the Code R calipers (which are the same calipers that the CODE RSC brakes come with)? I am not sure what OPTIMIZED could mean but the RE brakes cost $20 less than the Guide R brakes. Things that cost less usually mean some compromises were made.
I'm not certain but you'll probably find the calipers are the same as you can't really do a lot other than increase the amount of pistons. The difference will be in the lever, where you'll have more adjustment ie, lever throw(handy), bearings instead of bushings(you won't notice) and pad freeplay adjustment(never used it on any of my bikes that have had it).

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just sharing a tidbit of info for those looking at Range extenders. SL Comp carbon size Medium, stock bottle cage, Wolftooth b-rad bracket, Bomber coil over, tight fit but it works!
20210116_164556.jpg
20210116_164548.jpg

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
First proper ride on the sl expert carbon
Absolutely love it !!!
I am fairly fit and still looking for a bit of a work out did 30 miles on a mix eco and off no trail or turbo
Only used 29 % battery with the extender amazing

to be honest pedalling this bike off didn’t feel much different to my old 13.5 kg Santa Cruz Tallboy

as much as I love my ff Levo
This is the bike for me , it works well if your fairly fit and still looking for a work out , nice mix of ride in eco and off mode didn’t feel the need for the other modes

can’t wait for the next ride

C4EA6BF2-E738-4536-843A-B8005332FC75.jpeg

0E188E6C-B3DB-4ABE-A567-EE94626001E8.jpeg

E13F9D4A-9114-41DB-9BA9-E86946769ED9.jpeg

bbkp

Jan 10, 2021
vienna
anybody using a fork with 44mm offset ?
thinking of changing to an marzocchi z1 coil.
but unfortunatly it seems that 51mm is not availible.
would be interested in some feedback.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just a thought but have you looked at the MRP ribbon coil? 51mm offset available and 2110g vs Z1 2500g. I had one of these on my last analog, it was a sweet fork though max travel on 29er ribbon coil is 160mm and couple hundy more than Z1

MRP Ribbon Coil 29" (mrpbike.com)

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I am, it's great.

bbkp

Jan 10, 2021
vienna
Just a thought but have you looked at the MRP ribbon coil? 51mm offset available and 2110g vs Z1 2500g. I had one of these on my last analog, it was a sweet fork though max travel on 29er ribbon coil is 160mm and couple hundy more than Z1

MRP Ribbon Coil 29" (mrpbike.com)
what I have read so far on the marzocchi and the pricepoint makes it very likely that i give that one a try in case i go for coil.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
what differnces did you see in respect to 51mm offset ?
There is just 7mm in it, there is no difference from what I can tell. Perhaps you've got a more sensitive arse than me, but it really shouldn't make a difference. I've got 160mm lyrik ultimate(44mm offset), and I effing love 'em! Bike is SL expert Size Large.

MTB911

Dec 20, 2020
PL
Anybody using RS Super Deluxe Ultimate 210x52,5 ?
Will it be good for L size frame Carbon with range extender ?

RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT rear shock MReb/MComp 320lb Theshold Standard/Standard 210x52.5mm
EAN : 710845847332
MPN : 00.4118.306.005
MJ : 2021

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Well I've found the 34T a bit much for me on the SL so I am ordering a 32T which will hopefully be the happy medium. If I was a stronger rider I think the 34T would work great but I am not at that level yet. If anyone wants to buy the wolftooth 34T when I swap them out just shoot me a PM.

rjefferis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Hi everyone, hope all are safe and well.

Looking for a bit of advice, I currently have a medium (I am just under 5,9) 2020 Expert Carbon on hold for me while i sort out all the payment paperwork. Would like the Fox 36 and DPX2 though on the 2021 model. The 2020 is just over 1500GBP cheaper than the 2021 model.

So basically my question is, do I stick with the 2020 keeping the carbon wheels, and use the £1500 to upgrade fork and shock in due course.
Or
Spend the extra £1500 now and just get the 2021 model.

Re the other component changes, long term, in an ideal world I would probably look to swap out the cassette with a 1299 at some point and AXS derailleur so not overly concerned about the X01 upgrade on the 2021

Thanks all

Rob

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have the 2020 expert carbon with the carbon wheels

People on here will tell you carbon wheels are pointless personally I really like them !!!

If I was you I would stick to the 2020 expert with the carbon wheels save the £1500 then upgrade the suspension with the £1500 you have saved

Your then have a bike with it all on

rjefferis

Jan 23, 2021
UK
thanks @chrismechmaster and @BAMBAMODA

lol, really useful comments, i was kind of thinking the same thing

re the brakes point, yeah I think you could be right on that one. I have kind of standardised on Maguras across all mine and my daughter bikes for ease of maintenance and spares. Have a couple of sets of carbon Trail SLs dotted around so was tempted to mix them up and put a pair on my 8yr olds Yuma with twins front and rear and then put the quads front and year on the SL.

@BAMBAMODA interested on the 44 offset point, 51s seem much harder to find at the moment, certainly 160 44 are more accessible. Sounds like the general consensus is there is certainly no negative impact in handling moving from the 150 51s to 160 44s?

Thanks again everyone

Rob

MTB911

Dec 20, 2020
PL

Looking for a bit of advice, I currently have a medium (I am just under 5,9) 2020 Expert Carbon on hold for me while i sort out all the payment paperwork. Would like the Fox 36 and DPX2 though on the 2021 model. The 2020 is just over 1500GBP cheaper than the 2021 model.

So basically my question is, do I stick with the 2020 keeping the carbon wheels, and use the £1500 to upgrade fork and shock in due course.
Or

Re the other component changes, long term, in an ideal world I would probably look to swap out the cassette with a 1299 at some point and AXS derailleur so not overly concerned about the X01 upgrade on the 2021

Thanks all

Rob

If you want to make bigger upgrade the better option is SL Comp Carbon.
You have more money left.
£1500 may not be enough to buy Fox 36 Factory 2021 + DPX2/X2 (you can buy RockShox)
Carbon wheels are great, but if you riding in difficult terrain (large stones, etc.) that's the better option will be good aluminum wheels.
Good luck :)

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK

Or

Thanks all

Rob
I wouldn't knock the rear shock that comes on the 2020 expert as it's the elite version. Even the stock forks will handle more than most give credit for although I did upgrade mine to 36 performance elites as I was able to get hold of a new set for below £600. You should be able to get the 2020 model for £2000 cheaper than the 2021 model too as I know Infinity Cycles near Durham have a medium in stock for £6400. As has been said previously, if you're looking to change everything, get the Comp Carbon as that another £1k saving over the Expert and even those are great bikes out of the box.

bbkp

Jan 10, 2021
vienna
There is just 7mm in it, there is no difference from what I can tell. Perhaps you've got a more sensitive arse than me, but it really shouldn't make a difference. I've got 160mm lyrik ultimate(44mm offset), and I effing love 'em! Bike is SL expert Size Large.
thx for sharing your experiences.

yesterday there was a warmer day, about 10 degress, and it seems i have a different fork.
the harshness on small bumps has reduced so significantly that I will not change to the Z1 coil.
so thank you everybody for sharing your opinions and experinces with 51/44.

one final thought for 160mm. if for some other reason
I will change fork I dont think I go for 160mm.
the seat angle of the levo is not the steepest, so I think with flatting the angle
I will loose more of pedalling comfort and effeciency than I can gain from another 10mm on the front in the downhills.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Fox 38 160mm 44 offset.
medium SL

the difference is imperceptible. Going to 160 however is noticeable. - I now have to get out of the saddle for a super steep climb to keep the front down. But it’s only for 1 trail I have that with the 150mm fork the front tire was just floating like a feather and now with 160mm I really have to load balance and put my chin forward of the handlebars. View attachment 50530
Nice looking rig. I'm looking at forks myself and would like to go up to 160 but do have many ups and downs on my local trails

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
Nice looking rig. I'm looking at forks myself and would like to go up to 160 but do have many ups and downs on my local trails
Just to put something else into the mix here - UK riders will probably stick a 2.6 tyre up front to cope with the mud and slop we have from September to April. If you keep a 2.4 in the rear you'll probably want to stick to a 150mm fork so climbing ability is not compromised too much.

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
If anyones going up in tyre size for mud then Good luck, you want to go down size so the tyre cuts in, you don't want the tyre floating and squirming on the surface.
That's the theory for running narrow tyres on 4x4s and I used to think the same for mtbs, but when you look at the spacing of the tread blocks of a 2.4 vs 2.6 you'll see why it's the opposite for many of the popular tyres used during UK winters (e.g. Magic Mary). The 2.6 will clear the mud far more effectively than the 2.4. If I was just riding X-C I'd consider a narrow tyre but for me, the ride through the mud is to get to the technical decents and I find the 2.6 MM wins hands down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles