Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
For those curious about the coil + CC link - it’s definitely an improvement for bottom out support AND small bump compliance if you are riding the correct spring rate for your weight. As mentioned, it increases the leverage rate which requires higher spring rate. FWIW, I find my happy spot at ~580lbs spring rate for most conditions on my bike with the CC + EXT Storia V3. I am 176-180lbs depending on the day. That’s a bit under what their recommendations are, but its really riding style and terrain based.

IMO, if you go coil -get the CC link and/or get a progressive spring. The EXT has a HBO which helps with bottom out, and you can probably get away with that too, but I still think the CC link is a positive. I do notice more shock bob with the coil, but according to CC, the anti-squat doesn’t change vs. stock. With my EXT, the “lock-out” pretty much eliminates any bob and allows the bike to ride higher for most climbs and flat terrain.

In terms of the coil compatibility, a few coils have larger shafts - DVO, EXT, Push (I think) - which tends to solve the shaft breaking issues on the SL and SJ with the side arm. You definitely want to check with the shock manufacturer.

Overall - with the coil + CC and overforking (170mm Mezzer for me) this bike went from moderate trail bike to aggressive “enduro” bike that I will take anywhere. Definitely is the fastest bike that I have ridden DH

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
For those curious about the coil + CC link - it’s definitely an improvement for bottom out support AND small bump compliance if you are riding the correct spring rate for your weight. As mentioned, it increases the leverage rate which requires higher spring rate. FWIW, I find my happy spot at ~580lbs spring rate for most conditions on my bike with the CC + EXT Storia V3. I am 176-180lbs depending on the day. That’s a bit under what their recommendations are, but its really riding style and terrain based.

IMO, if you go coil -get the CC link and/or get a progressive spring. The EXT has a HBO which helps with bottom out, and you can probably get away with that too, but I still think the CC link is a positive. I do notice more shock bob with the coil, but according to CC, the anti-squat doesn’t change vs. stock. With my EXT, the “lock-out” pretty much eliminates any bob and allows the bike to ride higher for most climbs and flat terrain.

In terms of the coil compatibility, a few coils have larger shafts - DVO, EXT, Push (I think) - which tends to solve the shaft breaking issues on the SL and SJ with the side arm. You definitely want to check with the shock manufacturer.

Overall - with the coil + CC and overforking (170mm Mezzer for me) this bike went from moderate trail bike to aggressive “enduro” bike that I will take anywhere. Definitely is the fastest bike that I have ridden DH

thanks for another informative and thoughtful post. More to think about I guess. BTW - are you running 29's?

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
1FD533C3-0A18-4AC8-9401-79F5C7A5EF12.jpeg

First ride on a 210 x 55 DPX2 off eBay...not the tune for SL and no high speed compression screw...but still felt pretty good.

I’m guessing $200 for Fox to change to the D6JD tune (on the 21 SL Expert).

Up next:

083AFD6A-00B8-4359-A0F1-8464F4512E7D.jpeg

I’ve been following the coil posts...gonna try this even though TFTuned recommended using a coil with a thicker shaft, since I do not ride big jumps/drops.

Since it is 210 x 55, not sure if this would clear with the cascade link...I run 27.5+ in back, so maybe?

This is only about 1 lb heavier than my other air shocks.

May just keep the coil on my ‘20 Levo Comp.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
thanks for another informative and thoughtful post. More to think about I guess. BTW - are you running 29's?
I am running full 29er. I prefer it that way. I have tried mullet, and though it adds to the slacked out feel and might turn a bit sharper, I don’t like that the “speed limit” is hit earlier. I don’t believe that you can adjust the speed cut-off like you could with previous levo/kenevo. I could be wrong there though? I also found that the BB is dropped quite a bit too even if you use the flip chip. It’s rideable, it I tend to ride a lot of rocky terrain.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
View attachment 47007
First ride on a 210 x 55 DPX2 off eBay...not the tune for SL and no high speed compression screw...but still felt pretty good.

I’m guessing $200 for Fox to change to the D6JD tune (on the 21 SL Elite).

Up next:

View attachment 47008
I’ve been following the coil posts...gonna try this even though TFTuned recommended using a coil with a thicker shaft, since I do not ride big jumps/drops.

Since it is 210 x 55, not sure if this would clear with the cascade link...I run 27.5+ in back, so maybe?

This may depend bike to bike, but where you find limits with the CC link is not the wheel in my experience. The shock yoke can touch the seatstay bridge at full compression on occasion. This happened when I also had an offset bushing in place. So, stock geo should be ok, but I am not sure at 55mm stroke.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I am running full 29er. I prefer it that way. I have tried mullet, and though it adds to the slacked out feel and might turn a bit sharper, I don’t like that the “speed limit” is hit earlier. I don’t believe that you can adjust the speed cut-off like you could with previous levo/kenevo. I could be wrong there though? I also found that the BB is dropped quite a bit too even if you use the flip chip. It’s rideable, it I tend to ride a lot of rocky terrain.
The LBS has to change the wheel circumference...they are sometimes reluctant because they know some folks try to cheat the speed limit with a smaller circumference.

I argue with them because I want accurate mileage, so I do a rollout to measure the back wheel circumference and I ask them to set it to that value.

I probably should have measured my BB height...I swapped the Fox 34 160 with an upgraded Lyrik 160 mm..axel to crown is longer...seems like my BB is about the same height in high position with plus tires...but I didn’t measure it to be sure.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Offset bushings are a no go unless you’re going to a larger shock < 210.

They will always roll in. They make bikes more slack you can install them to raise a bike but riding will roll them back in and when you use a x55 shock it will make contact for sure.

unless you find offset bushings with a mechanical feature to keep them from rolling.
Not sure what you mean by roll in , but my intent and use was to slack the bike out (roll in?). It does the same as the flip chip , just adds to the effect.

specialized just needs to hurry up and make the SL Evo or SL Enduro for all us modern geo acolytes ?

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Great, thanks a lot for your feedback!

I have been running the ethirteen Helix R for a while now and have some additional comments:
- Shifts to larger cogs are similar in feel to the GX cassette
- Shifts to smaller cogs can be a bit clunky
- To get the best shifts to smaller cogs you have to adjust the derailleur to be a bit more inboard (towards the hub). Otherwise the chain wants to briefly hop to the next smallest cog before settling in the one you want. Adjusting the derailleur inboard means that in the 9 tooth gear the dreaded tick, tick, tick noise appears when the bike is on the stand. I have not heard that on the trail because I spend little if any time in the 9 tooth cog. I have tried adjusting the b gap as well as the other derailleur adjustments to fix this but no dice.

tl;dr - I think the reason for the clunky shifts to the smaller cogs is that the ethirteen cassette does not have ramps to guide the chain to the smaller cogs while the SRAM cassettes do. See the images below. Note the broken tooth on the SRAM cassette; the reason I got the ethirteen is because I wanted a lightweight cassette without having to purchase a whole new one when an aluminum tooth breaks. The ethirteen comes in two pieces so you can replace the aluminum cogs when (not if, at least with my panic-and-shift too late technique) the teeth start breaking off. Plus, purple!

I don't see much difference in wear yet as I have only run the ethirteen cassette about 100 miles / 160 km.

So, the ethirteen Helix R is about the same weight as a SRAM XO cassette, is much cheaper to purchase, you can replace the broken parts much more cheaply, but the Helix R is noisier and finicky to adjust.

SRAM ramps.JPG
Ethirteen ramps.JPG

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
When I plug my bike in to recharge, it turns itself on. I think the manual says it should be turned off when charging. Anyone else have this issue?
Do you mean that the TCU lights up and the bike is available to the app?

Mine does too - as designed, AFAIK. But yes, it should be turned off when you plug in.

After that though, the bike and charger need to communicate with one another, so it makes sense for the TCU to "light up".

Last edited:

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
Yeah. There was a dude that thought he could use the offset bushings to raise the bike and swore that they stayed in place. Opposite of their intentions. Anyway. ?
i use a offset bush to slacken it out a tiny bit , i presume by roll in u mean spin when fitted from lift to slack position , i don't believe this can happen once fitted

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I had two days and my SL was rebuilt.
According to the motto, "Black is colorful enough" ...

the black beast :D

View attachment 45109

It was not that easy to get everything black, the silver decals of the Pike had to be removed and exchanged for stealth ...

View attachment 45111

and then that ugly silver scraper the reverb ...

View attachment 45112

the result...

View attachment 45113

View attachment 45114

View attachment 45115

View attachment 45116

and a few more details ...

View attachment 45117

View attachment 45118

View attachment 45119

View attachment 45120

The weight is now almost exactly 18 kg.
Now drive, adjust and test first.

cheers (y)
Can you share where you purchased the black reverb part? I've been able to find service kits for older model reverbs but not the AXS. Not sure its compatible?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
i use a offset bush to slacken it out a tiny bit , i presume by roll in u mean spin when fitted from lift to slack position , i don't believe this can happen once fitted
Would you mind providing a link or some product information about what your using? Thanks.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
View attachment 47007

I’m guessing $200 for Fox to change to the D6JD tune (on the 21 SL Elite).

Up next:

View attachment 47008

Looks like Sycamore Canyon? I live in Westminster and have only ridden there 3 times.

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
This thread needs more action ?

Thanks for posting this! Looks like fun, and so much different than what I'm riding in the PNW these days. I'd say similar in terms of jumps and drops ... but everything here is soggy, green and rooty. And I even got first-tracks down a snow-covered DH trail last week. Super fun. I just put on a Mezzer fork last week and a DVO Jade X yesterday. I'll report back on impressions (and maybe video) after I get out for my next ride. Thanks to all of you who gave me input before my upgrades!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Thanks for posting this! Looks like fun, and so much different than what I'm riding in the PNW these days. I'd say similar in terms of jumps and drops ... but everything here is soggy, green and rooty. And I even got first-tracks down a snow-covered DH trail last week. Super fun. I just put on a Mezzer fork last week and a DVO Jade X yesterday. I'll report back on impressions (and maybe video) after I get out for my next ride. Thanks to all of you who gave me input before my upgrades!
I would love what you have in the pnw. Trying to convince the wife that we should move to Bellingham ?

there are definitely good spots here, but not to the extent I think that you have. And yes, maybe a month or two a year we get damp dirt. Otherwise it’s dry and dusty

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Few more upgrades on the SL, full burgtec cockpit, had to wait on parts since June, rock shot super deluxe shock with megneg, feels like a coil with that added pop. Trying some Vitoria tyres out, stains flow wheels on for the winter, pedal hounds motor cover is perfect. swapped out my hope E4s for some hope v4s and much better braking control . 220 rotor up front .
F3920572-BADC-4932-949F-81ED6142BE6C.jpeg

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Curious if anyone can give me some feedback on my thoughts of getting a Turbo SL Comp carbon.
I am 5'7 120lbs
My main use is riding to work, about 4 miles each way(on a paved bike trail that happens to run near my house and luckily near my office). Sadly after a sickness earlier this year my health is not that great and I still haven't quite gotten back to it. Even this short ride is trying for me.

I currently have a trek FX4 carbon acoustic hybrid bike(I also have a MTB, but for paved riding the FX4 is much lighter and faster, my chicken legs average 10-11mph, peaking at 17-20mph on certain parts) and would like to know if the Levo SL (In medium) will be more comfortable for this ride. I often have hand and tendon pain as well and I am hoping the full suspension will help soak a bit of that up vs a solid road/hybrid bike. I would plan to run the SL on turbo mode most of the time for the most assistance, as well as delimit it if I find myself hitting top speeds on flat/ slight inclines and declines.

Would the SL fit my needs? Since I currently weight about that of a sack of rice after getting sick, I don't want to go for something like the FF levo as its just too much weight for me, but at the same time it would be a lot less effort. My health isn't anywhere near to hit the trails but I do occasionally like to go off the bike path as well as take some minor jumps as I discover them and the lighter weight of the SL helps there as well. I also find true joy in being able to go off the beaten path, which sadly my FX4 limits me to the smoother pavement or my body hurts too much.

Thanks for any input. It looks like my LBS has a comp carbon SL in stock so I would like to go test ride one as well and see how the assist helps in turbo mode.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Curious if anyone can give me some feedback on my thoughts of getting a Turbo SL Comp carbon.
I am 5'7 120lbs
My main use is riding to work, about 4 miles each way(on a paved bike trail that happens to run near my house and luckily near my office). Sadly after a sickness earlier this year my health is not that great and I still haven't quite gotten back to it. Even this short ride is trying for me.

I currently have a trek FX4 carbon acoustic hybrid bike(I also have a MTB, but for paved riding the FX4 is much lighter and faster, my chicken legs average 10-11mph, peaking at 17-20mph on certain parts) and would like to know if the Levo SL (In medium) will be more comfortable for this ride. I often have hand and tendon pain as well and I am hoping the full suspension will help soak a bit of that up vs a solid road/hybrid bike. I would plan to run the SL on turbo mode most of the time for the most assistance, as well as delimit it if I find myself hitting top speeds on flat/ slight inclines and declines.

Would the SL fit my needs? Since I currently weight about that of a sack of rice after getting sick, I don't want to go for something like the FF levo as its just too much weight for me, but at the same time it would be a lot less effort. My health isn't anywhere near to hit the trails but I do occasionally like to go off the bike path as well as take some minor jumps as I discover them and the lighter weight of the SL helps there as well. I also find true joy in being able to go off the beaten path, which sadly my FX4 limits me to the smoother pavement or my body hurts too much.

Thanks for any input. It looks like my LBS has a comp carbon SL in stock so I would like to go test ride one as well and see how the assist helps in turbo mode.

I like what the suspension does for bumps, even on pavement. My other bike is an air fork/hardtail and there is more difference than I expected. I have the SL set soft since I don't do any jumps.
Turbo mode does not work well for casual riding, if I am not keeping the bike close to the speed cutoff (on flat terrain) the motor cuts in and out frequently. Trail mode would probably work better and we can adjust the level of assist to suit.

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I like what the suspension does for bumps, even on pavement. My other bike is an air fork/hardtail and there is more difference than I expected. I have the SL set soft since I don't do any jumps.
Turbo mode does not work well for casual riding, if I am not keeping the bike close to the speed cutoff (on flat terrain) the motor cuts in and out frequently. Trail mode would probably work better and we can adjust the level of assist to suit.

Thanks for the info, I guess I should rephrase that rather than using turbo mode(as I suppose I don't quite understand how they work yet), I would probably set it up so that it would be on "full assist" at all times, so to speak. Also the delimiter may take care of the cutting in and out.

yup, the other thing is you can run a higher volume 2.6 width tire, even with 120 tpi, at lower pressure if you don't plan on going too fast

I don't mind going fast if I am able to. I'm hoping the SL is capable of reaching the 15mph stated fairly easily on flat.

I am 5'7 120lbs

Just my opinion here, the SL is noticable weaker than any other full-powered bike. Feels like about 1/4 to 1/3 of the power. If it is flat it does not make any difference, you don't need that much torque there anyway and it still produces 240W which is plenty enough. Steep hills, where you need the torque is another story.

Suspension wise the comp carbon is absolutely fine.

When you hit the trails and some jumps - that is where the SL shines. It is by far the most poppy and fun eMTB I have ever tested!

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Right - Cascade link ordered, and a 650lb spring to replace the current 600lb I currently have on my dhx2. The 600 is a bit too saggy. It takes 2 turns of preload to get 32%. With the Cascade link, the firmer spring should be just as, or more, supple plus more progressive. I will report back...

Reporting back as promised on the Cascade link for my SL.

I decided to opt for a 700lb spring instead of the 650 on the DHX2. The 650 is borderline for my weight, and with the additional effect of the Cascade link, it makes it possible to go up to 700lb and retain the suppleness at the start of the stroke.

Since getting everything fitted, I haven't had much of a chance to get out, until yesterday when I went up into the Surrey Hills. While it was a total slop-fest, runs like Barrys were in good condition and made a decent test. Happily, everything passed with flying colours. In fact, more than that, the bike felt just gorgeous. It's a bit hard to describe as it is quite subjective, but everything felt smooth and controlled. With the heavier spring there was no loss of compliance thanks to the way the link alters the travel at the top end, and it was just fab. I did some relatively small jumps, and there's no bucking, and the landing is just like "oh, I've landed" and away you go with no drama at all.

Things may be helped a bit by the Ohlins RXF36 coil up front, which I dropped from a 65lb spring (too firm) to a 60lb, and which is pretty stonkingly amazing too.

The bike is now set up very nicely for me, and I like it a lot. It's far more capable than I am, but that's a good thing in my book. Compared with the stock setup it's a huge improvement. And I got the silver link as I'll be stripping the bike to bare alloy soon (damn that Rob guy for publicising raw alloy bikes so effectively). I bought the base alloy SL as I knew I'd be stripping it, and I also wanted to go al-la-carte on the upgrades too.

20201220_113036.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles