Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Mud Tyres

Ben_H

Oct 9, 2020
Anyth1ng
First of all I am sorry - I am sure this answer is buried somewhere in the forums but I can't find it! Can anyone recommend a couple of tyres I can try on my Alloy Levo SL that might perform a bit better than the Butcher/Eliminator combo it comes with? I ride mostly QE park near Petersfield and its super muddy and I find the current tyres are clogging and getting coated in leaves making them ride like almost slicks. Sizewise I know I should probably stick to 2.3's and most locals I have spoken to swear by the Magic Marys - but as far as I can tell the size I need rules them out. Thanks in advance for any help / ideas - even if you suggest I stick with what I have.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
First of all I am sorry - I am sure this answer is buried somewhere in the forums but I can't find it! Can anyone recommend a couple of tyres I can try on my Alloy Levo SL that might perform a bit better than the Butcher/Eliminator combo it comes with? I ride mostly QE park near Petersfield and its super muddy and I find the current tyres are clogging and getting coated in leaves making them ride like almost slicks. Sizewise I know I should probably stick to 2.3's and most locals I have spoken to swear by the Magic Marys - but as far as I can tell the size I need rules them out. Thanks in advance for any help / ideas - even if you suggest I stick with what I have.
You could put a MM 2.6 up from and a DHR2 2.4 rear. It’s a decent combo, not full mud setup but will be good all round winter setup.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
The best mud tyre I've used is the Michelin Wild Mud Advanced 29x2.25 (think they're now called Michelin Mud Enduro Magix).

I've just put the 2.4 DH version on the front

mud.jpg

Ben_H

Oct 9, 2020
Anyth1ng
Thanks Guys - reading conflicting info on max size - but would seem that at least some 2.4's work on the front. I'll take a look at what stock is available and go from there. Thanks again.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Specialized hillbilly does not pack up with mud & might work well. That's the best tire in my very wet all the time region. You could run 2.6 upfront which measures 61 mm at the widest but might have to go with a 2.3 in the rear. Don't know what that measures at the widest. I have a Full fat Levo and can fit two 2.6s. Can't recommend this mud tire highly enough and it's relatively inexpensive compared to Maxxis. I will tell you that it holds the terrain especially when turning so much better than the butcher and eliminator tires that my bike came with.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
for winter use, I run the Hillbilly 2.3 on the SL, and can confirm it doesn't clog in mud, unlike the eliminator on the rear which rapidly becomes a slick in mud

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
If your riding QE's unoffcial trails in sloppy conditions then look at Maxxis Shorty's

I run Maxxis Assegai's on my Levo at QE but once it starts to get really muddy then the Shorty's go on as nothing else seems to cope

QE and the surrounding areas are a real mix of mud, roots, chalk and flint which gets ridden to death all year round so can be a real slopfest

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I run Specialized Hillbilly 29 x 2.3 which measures 2.44 and Specialized Purgatory 2.3 (there are a couple styles) with good success in all conditions. The Purgatory isn’t a mud tire but is an all round good tire. Only on the greasiest surfaces it will slide but then most tires do.
It also rolls well.

The purgatory I use
BFF5C394-64E0-4756-9C7D-76195BF4411A.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles