Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL - Motor Overrun

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford
So after nearly 1500 miles my SL has it first failure.

While out on it yesterday I started to notice the motor would overrun for a second or two when I stopped peddling.

Does this mean it’s need replacing / repairing or is there something else that may be the cause ?

Cheers Andy.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
My Shimano EP8 has a slight lag. If the program tried to match your motor output exactly to your pedal input, I envision the bike would be unridable. A degree of dampening and lag will provide a smoother, more natural feeling ride.

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford
Mine has never done it so it's definitely a fault..... Called Race Co Cycles where I bought the bike from, they said it sounds like one on the sprag clutch is sticking, they said pop it in and we will replace the motor (y)

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’ve just had my motor replaced Friday & circa 90miles on new motor
Motor changed for grinding under load and whining

Both old & new motor had this trait
I’d suggest it’s more a trait, as long as it’s not taking crank arms with the free spin
I’d also suggest the Sprag clutch is working as it should and preventing a hard stop of the motor when you stop pedalling
Try spinning crank arms backwards, if it’s free spinning all is good!

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford
So just under 1500 miles without the issue and then all of a sudden its noticable, somethings changed and Race Co agreed, if it was like it from day 1 then I would agree its a trait of the drive.

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford
Took my bike to Race Co Cycles in Halesowen today (where I bought it) and they quickly confirmed the sprag clutch was sticking by simple rotating the pedals backward and seeing the chain was being driven as opposed to the cranks only rotating.

40 mins later my bike was handed back to me with a new motor all replaced under warranty with no questions asked, first class service again from Race Co, Big thank you to Rich and the team (y)(y)(y)

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Rotating my pedals backwards sometimes the chain moves, sometimes not, sometimes it moves some and then stops. There may be a slight overrun only in Turbo, I have not noticed any problems while riding.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve noticed mine doing this more recently - and I ride in Eco all the time.
When I stop pedalling, I see the chain moving forward maybe 2-3” on its own.

I’ve only noticed it on the last few rides… but it could have easily been doing it for the last 2 years!!

It doesn’t seem to effect the bike at all though?

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
I’ve just had my motor replaced Friday & circa 90miles on new motor
Motor changed for grinding under load and whining

Both old & new motor had this trait
I’d suggest it’s more a trait, as long as it’s not taking crank arms with the free spin
I’d also suggest the Sprag clutch is working as it should and preventing a hard stop of the motor when you stop pedalling
Try spinning crank arms backwards, if it’s free spinning all is good!
Actually only about one out of four of the Brose motors is any good. I’ve had a 2019 Kenevo going on three years, de restricted it immediately, with a wheel size hack. It’s been perfect, not one issue.

chris f

Aug 1, 2021
cannock chase United Kingdom
this is interesting any one had it on a turbo levo . I have only just noticed that in turbo mode the bike will still surge forward once peddles stopped looks like something I need to keep a look out for it getting worse . Also notice a little more noise from motor in eco mode if i am spinning the legs a little

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
this is interesting any one had it on a turbo levo . I have only just noticed that in turbo mode the bike will still surge forward once peddles stopped looks like something I need to keep a look out for it getting worse . Also notice a little more noise from motor in eco mode if i am spinning the legs a little

Mines a Turbo Levo

jibedaddy

Apr 12, 2022
USA
Actually only about one out of four of the Brose motors is any good. I’ve had a 2019 Kenevo going on three years, de restricted it immediately, with a wheel size hack. It’s been perfect, not one issue.

I don't see the point to derestricting a SL 1.1 motor, it just doesn't have enough power to put out than the factory (20mph US) speed limit requires when riding flatter terrain, and can't hold above 12mph when climbing a 5% gravel road. Why void the warranty to get maybe 1 or 2 mph more?

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
It’s not an SL motor, it’s a 1.3 Brose. And it’s way beyond 1-2 mph. It does not even cut out until near 30 mph. First ride with stock motor was horrible. Most of my non-EMTB trail riding was at speeds of 20mph plus. The motor cutting out at 17-18 was not only lame, but made some approaches to jumps, dangerous. If and when, if ever, the motor quits, the rebuild will be done by Performance Bearing.

@ndy

Jul 9, 2020
Telford
Just had mine replaced . Chain moved when back pedaling.

Exact same symptom as mine, dealer said sprag clutch was sticking, motor was still working fine thou……

Such a small defect but spoilt the ride feel as when you stop pedalling and level off the pedals there was resistance, even a clunk/grinding noise a couple of times.

jibedaddy

Apr 12, 2022
USA
It’s not an SL motor, it’s a 1.3 Brose. And it’s way beyond 1-2 mph. It does not even cut out until near 30 mph. First ride with stock motor was horrible. Most of my non-EMTB trail riding was at speeds of 20mph plus. The motor cutting out at 17-18 was not only lame, but made some approaches to jumps, dangerous. If and when, if ever, the motor quits, the rebuild will be done by Performance Bearing.

Then your post is irrelevant. Why are you posting in this Levo SL thread? Do you just need the attention?

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
Although you had an issue with your motor and it’s fixed I thought I’d share my experience with SL overrun .
TLDR there is a little overrun and in some bikes it can be excessive, and your LBS can tune it out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles