Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL killed by Orbea?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is "my engine mount looks smaller than your engine mount" A Thing now??

:rolleyes:
I think it's more a visual interpretation that in the comparison picture, the orbea motor area actually looks smaller than the SL - which is more of a surprising thing as the SL motor area is so tiny. Historically, men like their motor area to look large - so we're in uncharted territory here.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I think if you add customisation the lead in time changes rather dramatically unfortunately! Like August 21 which is a shame. Re the rattle the Loam Wolf test bike was quiet but other test bikes had the rattle. Very few test bikes out there so you pays your money and take the chance. I did ?

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Why bring the Levo/Brose motor into this? We're talking about the Levo SL, which has the Specialized/Mahle 1.1 motor. So far very reliable and does not rattle...

Josepma

Oct 13, 2020
Barcelona
Indeed, the SL is dead at the hands of orbea because it is a revolution that other manufacturers will take at least two years to copy. ..

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Had never heard of this but looked it up. Seems like an e-zesty clone on the face of it to me but without the advantages of the Orbea ?
The advantages of the Orbea? Such as? Oh, the EPx motors that heave been cracking cases already, I can see the appeal. ?

The Ebone and the Fazua use the same motor.
If that's what you mean by 'clone'?
Every other aspect of the bike is different. Unfortunately the price is looking like it will be too.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
So it’s a revolution to make an XC ebike with the standard weight Shimano motor?

it’s a made in China frame. If you use logic and realize it’s a same weight as the SL with the heavier motor you’ll have a light bulb go off and realize that the frames China carbon is probably pretty thin.

I agree. When my LBS told me about the Rise coming out (we've been talking about the light weight bikes for a while because we both tend to ride with low assistance and I've been looking for a while at options, with none of them lighting my fire)

He told me about the spec of the Rise and I just thought 'how pointless'.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
...so terrible battery range meaning that you have to always carry a further lump in your rucksack which could kill your back if you fall off, minuscule useable power band and strained torque, and for UK zero dealer back up, oh yes and that annoying motor ratchet noise in freewheel. So Ezesty clone ??

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I agree. When my LBS told me about the Rise coming out (we've been talking about the light weight bikes for a while because we both tend to ride with low assistance and I've been looking for a while at options, with none of them lighting my fire)

He told me about the spec of the Rise and I just thought 'how pointless'.
Complete conjecture. Where’s your factual evidence that the actual frame sourced for this bike is any more or less prone to failure when compared with other similar carbon frames under the same usage and stresses

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
What excessively light weight frame come with a 60nm motor and compensates for a riders 200 wh legs? Ohh. None because it wouldn’t last. Duh
Like I said no evidence, just a subjective opinion on your part so why would you just assume...fine but leave out the “duh” please. If mine breaks you’ll be the first to know?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Complete conjecture. Where’s your factual evidence that the actual frame sourced for this bike is any more or less prone to failure when compared with other similar carbon frames under the same usage and stresses

I didn't say that the frame would break, but I do KNOW that the release of the EP8 has been delayed because the over-lightened cases have been cracking.

The Rise is pointless to me because you might as well turn the power setting down on a regular bike and have the range.

At least the Fazua-equipped bikes have to option to remove the motor and battery for analogue use, and also allow you to easily carry an additional battery for longer trails if you're feeling too lazy to pedal without assistance. I have been looking at the Ezesty for a while, and the Nox Helium, but unfortunately the speed sensor position puts me off those bikes (and a lot of the Bosch powered bikes if I decide to have another heavyweight bike next).

The very low torque of the Levo SL puts me off, because you might as well have an analogue bike than one with so little boost.

So far, the Scapin ticks every box, and I know it will fit me well because all of its dimensions are almost identical to my current bike. The Ezesty looks a bit short on the chainstays for the climbing that we do, and as already said the speed sensor puts me off, as does the Nox Helium.

I'd have to buy a Nox from abroad too, as there's no UK dealer for them, so that's another negative for the Nox.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
I didn't say that the frame would break, but I do KNOW that the release of the EP8 has been delayed because the over-lightened cases have been cracking.

The Rise is pointless to me because you might as well turn the power setting down on a regular bike and have the range.

At least the Fazua-equipped bikes have to option to remove the motor and battery for analogue use, and also allow you to easily carry an additional battery for longer trails if you're feeling too lazy to pedal without assistance. I have been looking at the Ezesty for a while, and the Nox Helium, but unfortunately the speed sensor position puts me off those bikes (and a lot of the Bosch powered bikes if I decide to have another heavyweight bike next).

The very low torque of the Levo SL puts me off, because you might as well have an analogue bike than one with so little boost.

So far, the Scapin ticks every box, and I know it will fit me well because all of its dimensions are almost identical to my current bike. The Ezesty looks a bit short on the chainstays for the climbing that we do, and as already said the speed sensor puts me off, as does the Nox Helium.

I'd have to buy a Nox from abroad too, as there's no UK dealer for them, so that's another negative for the Nox.
In all seriousness I would try the Fazua motor before buying - I love the concept of it but it’s ride feel is too limited in my subjective opinion and needs more development. Its like an old 2 stroke mbike engine where the narrow power band is too high up the rev (cadence) range. If the Faz could be updated to 60nm and have say a 400wh battery, then it would be much more rideable despite a 1kg weight gain. The EP8 will be quite ‘revvy’ too but just less so...
I would expect the delayed release of the Ep8 would’ve taken account of any casing problems. But in buying any first release there is always a slight risk. We are buying into fast moving technology here so as long as the motor and frame warranties are solid then at some point you have to take the plunge

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
In all seriousness I would try the Fazua motor before buying - I love the concept of it but it’s ride feel is too limited in my subjective opinion and needs more development. Its like an old 2 stroke mbike engine where the narrow power band is too high up the rev (cadence) range. If the Faz could be updated to 60nm and have say a 400wh battery, then it would be much more rideable despite a 1kg weight gain. The EP8 will be quite ‘revvy’ too but just less so...
I would expect the delayed release of the Ep8 would’ve taken account of any casing problems. But in buying any first release there is always a slight risk. We are buying into fast moving technology here so as long as the motor and frame warranties are solid then at some point you have to take the plunge

The Fazua is 60 Nm. Did you ride the updated SV or early SV? It's supposed to be a lovely motor with the new software, very nearly as good as the EP8000 on the climbs, though still nowhere near the Bosch Gen4 or Brose 2.1/2 but then I don't need it to be.

It's the Spesh SL 1.1 that I'm not convinced by its output.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
The Fazua is 60 Nm. Did you ride the updated SV or early SV? It's supposed to be a lovely motor with the new software, very nearly as good as the EP8000 on the climbs, though still nowhere near the Bosch Gen4 or Brose 2.1/2 but then I don't need it to be.

It's the Spesh SL 1.1 that I'm not convinced by its output.
I tried the black pepper thinking it would have that bit more grunt but it was a little disappointing tbh. The power curve is so narrow it doesn’t feel anything like 50 or 60nm from a full fat. Try it though as it may suit your style of riding

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
Max power of 240W, as the Levo SL has, is a problem. "2x you" is only true on flats and mild inclines, as it steepens the multiplication factor drops rapidly. If the SL engine was an audio amplifier and input = rider effort, we would say that the amp was clipping and that the output is distorted.

Most of the time I'm at 30% assistance, which is fine. Of course in hilly terrain I'm not getting that because the motor is at max power and I get tired, pushing the turbo button only to find there's no difference.

This is why I have ordered the Orbea.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I actually haven't ridden an SL, and when I do it will either be included or excluded from my list of potential bikes to get next. I said the low torque 'puts me off', I did say it 'excludes it as an option'. Maybe I can borrow yours? ;-)

Having watched and read a zillion tests though, the SLs are always WAY behind the 'regular' bikes, whereas the Fazua is only SLIGHTLY behind, but the installation has much better flexibility re batteries and motor.
There's still loads and loads of the SLs in stock everywhere, when stock of everything else is depleted so there's tons of choice of SLs.

I'm hoping to test ride an Ezesty tomorrow if I can at The Bike Place in Kielder.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles