Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL killed by Orbea?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
There are a few things you can do to help the Levo in tight stuff .
Set the power mode so acceleration is lower , but power is still high . Gives a more progressive feel .
Learn to pedal more gently and higher cadence . Bike will be more responsive and interactive .
Drag the back brake in tight twisty sections . Keep pedaling but govern the acceleration with the brake .

Or just take my SL! Lol

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
the orbea rise would be that bike for me, 1-2 additional bidon batteries. but, the problem is that the bidon batteries do not give power directly to the engine. but only the built-in battery after charging, that is a weak performance from the manufacturer.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It seems few people are buying SLs now.
There's loads more of them on fleabay than any other e-bike, and many of them have been on there for ages.
The only one that I've seen actually sell was a carbon one with 700 miles on it and it only sold for £3500 with only a few bids, 2 bids I think.

I've had an eye out for a bargain alloy frame one for the boy. He's only 14 and very slight build, so I want something light so he can lift it over gates and wotnot, but not too powerful.

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
It seems few people are buying SLs now.
There's loads more of them on fleabay than any other e-bike, and many of them have been on there for ages.
The only one that I've seen actually sell was a carbon one with 700 miles on it and it only sold for £3500 with only a few bids, 2 bids I think.

I've had an eye out for a bargain alloy frame one for the boy. He's only 14 and very slight build, so I want something light so he can lift it over gates and wotnot, but not too powerful.
I sold my comp carbon with lyrics,range extender and other upgrades for £4500. Bike was mint as well. Few others msg me on pink bike how much I sold it for so they lowered there price. There’s alloy SL s on there for 5k since 6 months. The whole market has stalled now but the SL was the hardest bike I’ve ever had to sell.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Buy " your son" the bike YOU want to ride. ;)

I spent yesterday riding with my 12 yo - he's my height but weighs nothing. We were swapping between my comp carbon sl and giant full e pro.

Most of the time I was struggling to keep up with him climbing on the giant ! At least when I was on the SL I could catch him down hill..... So we ended up with him on the giant but waiting for me at the top of hills.

I still had to lift both bikes

A8858ED4-056C-4CAA-8C3E-15DD5671FFA9.jpeg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Buy " your son" the bike YOU want to ride. ;)

I spent yesterday riding with my 12 yo - he's my height but weighs nothing. We were swapping between my comp carbon sl and giant full e pro.

Most of the time I was struggling to keep up with him climbing on the giant ! At least when I was on the SL I could catch him down hill..... So we ended up with him on the giant but waiting for me at the top of hills.

I still had to lift both bikes

View attachment 72313
I can't afford the bike that I WANT to ride. ?

I want to get him a light bike so he can manage it when I'm not with him. He's actually taller than me but probably only 2/3ds my weight, and I'm not particularly fat.
Currently he does sometimes ride my giant E and I'll ride my 'poverty' non-E because I want the exercise and he obviously enjoys the novelty/lazyness.
I'm hoping that if I get him his own e-bike then he'll likely ride more and build up his strength by way of doing more riding and also build more upper body by way of the bike being a bit heavier to move around.

I'm just too tight to pay full money for something which, for several reasons, I honestly think the backside is imminently going to fall out of very soon.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I sold my comp carbon with lyrics,range extender and other upgrades for £4500. Bike was mint as well. Few others msg me on pink bike how much I sold it for so they lowered there price. There’s alloy SL s on there for 5k since 6 months. The whole market has stalled now but the SL was the hardest bike I’ve ever had to sell.

The seller doesn't understand that you can get a new one with warranty for £5k then?

I think a mint low miles alloy frame one is soon going to become a £2500-£3000 bike. What with people buying them during the pandemic soon giving up riding, people who bought them thinking that they were a full power bike, money getting tight for Christmas and people selling them because, let's be honest, the Rise is a far better bike on the whole.

I'm told that there's an alloy frame Rise due soon as well, so that's going to knock SL Comp sales for sure, if anyone is actually buying new SL Comps now, besides hire shops.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
but if I could only own one bike, I would probably go SL...

I tend to agree with this comment. An SL offers the best combination for all riding situations, but may not be the best on a given day, depending on where you're riding. Unfortunaly most of us can't afford to have two expensive e-Bikes, so SL seems to offer the best comprimise in value, generally speaking.

Stevie H

Mar 6, 2021
Hereford
I have also looked at the Rise great bike. But did you know that the warranty does not transfer to a 2nd owner. So would be hard to sell once you want to move it on.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
They're that good, you don't want to move it on! :ROFLMAO: It is a fair point though.

I love mine but still occasionally ride my Merida e160...

They're that good, you don't want to move it on! :ROFLMAO: It is a fair point though.

I love mine but still occasionally ride my Merida e160...
Funny that you have a Merida too, I just did a hill climb test video between the Orbea Rise and the Merida e160. From an owner of the two bikes (and if you have any interest in watching the video ?), are my conclusions correct? Will PM the video.

I thought that boost mode on the EP8 RS was equal to trail mode on the std EP8. But in the end, both bikes climb equally well. It is not the motor that stops you from climbing the steeper sections.

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I agree, I have done the same local area on both bikes in the last week so my conclusions are as follows: -

The Merida e160 (mine is a Limited with 504wH, E8000 motor) is faster up the hills, my wife has the e160 700 with EP8 and she can slowly pull away from me on the Rise (both in Trail mode) up the steeper climbs. So the lower power Rise is slower in similar modes. You have to use more cadence and lower gears on the Rise. Not surprising, my Trail mode in Profile 2 (higher) is only 39Nm, whereas it is probably up in the 50s on the Merida EP8. Boost on the Rise is 55Nm unless you max it in settings.

Different story on the downs. The Rise is probably slightly quicker and far more agile but you definitely need more skill to ride it fast compared to the Merida where the weight (almost 6Kg more) makes it feel more stable just much less nimble.

For cross country and technical trails, Rise all the way. The agility is what seals it here.

If I was to sum it up, I would say the Rise is for more skilled riders due to the poppiness and agility, you really need to be on top of your game and concentrating whereas the Merida will allow a lower-skilled rider to enjoy their ride without getting too nervous about the bike moving underneath them. I came from a low weight 26" mid-1990s GT Team RTS bike that was so poppy and agile, even the Rise feels sluggish and BIG compared to that so maybe that's why I like the Rise so much.

I still use both, often taking the Merida if I am out with my wife as I know I won't be tackling anything radical and can have a relaxing ride (comparatively).

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
Ive just sold my SL for the Levo gen 3 (which incidentally handles better than the SL...mullet configuration perhaps) , but had it been available at the time of purchase, I would have bought the Rise for sure over the SL.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I can't afford the bike that I WANT to ride. ?

I want to get him a light bike so he can manage it when I'm not with him. He's actually taller than me but probably only 2/3ds my weight, and I'm not particularly fat.
Currently he does sometimes ride my giant E and I'll ride my 'poverty' non-E because I want the exercise and he obviously enjoys the novelty/lazyness.
I'm hoping that if I get him his own e-bike then he'll likely ride more and build up his strength by way of doing more riding and also build more upper body by way of the bike being a bit heavier to move around.

I'm just too tight to pay full money for something which, for several reasons, I honestly think the backside is imminently going to fall out of very soon.

I suppose an update to my SL value prediction above, last November I bought the lad an absolutely mint SL Comp in Red, with a range extender, hope wheels with new Michelins on, it's got MT7 brakes and renthal bars. All the standard parts were included and I gave £3600 for it. Without the upgrades that makes the bike itself around £2500. I was more than happy with the upgrades done because it is all stuff that's lacking on the standard bike.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Hoping my SL comes in soon. My buddy ordered one too, so I may have someone to occasionally ride with. None of my buddies have e-bikes so I just ride my Ibis. The Levo is too much of an ungainly beast for me, and I do not want that much power or weight. The Rise is still a very good option for more power but I have heard that the SL is going to get a redesign this year. Looking forward to some range testing soon, since I will have two extenders.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles