Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL killed by Orbea?

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
So what do you think... Who would buy an SL with 35nm now that Orbea Rise offer 60nm in the same "package"??

I'm putting mine out for sale. OR can we expect an software update to get more power?

Noticed that the SL details are not available on specialized.com anymore.... (details meaning models/prize info).

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I think the SL is dead. Honestly if they try and get double the power out of the current mot then the power draw will be crazy and you will be t what 2 miles out of the battery? Sorry, they would realistically have to go back to the drawing board. Personally I own a normal Levo and i would jump on a Orbea Rise for sure. But i could not afford to do that any time soon. I also do love my levo

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
So what do you think... Who would buy an SL with 35nm now that Orbea Rise offer 60nm in the same "package"??
Only everybody who bought an SL in the first place...

How often do you see people complaining that the SL isn't "enough"?

We buy SLs for what they are, not for what they aren't. If we wanted more power we wouldn't have bought the bloody things in the first place!

I could buy a Rise right now, but I have absolutely zero interest in it: a generic "by the numbers" bike whose only claim to fame is that it's pretty light for a bike with a Shimano motor. And (to use your own logic) one that can't do as much as any other bike with the same motor.

No thanks...

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California

I'm putting mine out for sale. OR can we expect an software update to get more power?

Noticed that the SL details are not available on specialized.com anymore.... (details meaning models/prize info).
i think you're correct.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Time will tell, but I highly doubt the SL is ‘dead’. One thing that intrigues me about the Rise is range... more power, more consumption, less range is how I see it. The SL is capable of impressive ranges, I wonder how the Rise will stack up.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
You have to be quite fit to ride an SL that's for sure. There's not an awful lot of difference between the power settings.
I now know why I kept falling off/crashing my full fat de-restricted levo, because since riding a restricted SL I realise how effing fast I was going... lol?

the Orbea has only 40wh of juice more and has nearly double the suction.... hmmmm.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
We buy SLs for what they are, not for what they aren't. If we wanted more power we wouldn't have bought the bloody things in the first place!

might of done if there was an option available at the time!? ?

you almost sound like you are justifying your purchase dude. It’s a bit like buying a 6 month old car and a new model comes out.
You tell your mates you prefer the old shape but secretly your gutted inside ???

on a serious note. The SL looks a great bike. So does the Rise.

Whatever makes you happy.

But just cos you love the SL, doesn’t mean the next guy won’t prefer the Rise ??

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
might of done if there was an option available at the time!? ?

you almost sound like you are justifying your purchase dude. It’s a bit like buying a 6 month old car and a new model comes out.
You tell your mates you prefer the old shape but secretly your gutted inside ???

on a serious note. The SL looks a great bike. So does the Rise.

Whatever makes you happy.

But just cos you love the SL, doesn’t mean the next guy won’t prefer the Rise ??

put it this way, i would definitely get a de-restricting module on an SL, it just too damn slow with leg muscles alone.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
put it this way, i would definitely get a de-restricting module on an SL

so you would have more power?

It’s always better to have the option imo. I’d love to try both bikes and see what one feels best for me.

I’m guessing the Rise comes with range extender too?

And for comparable range you could just ride in a lower power mode to sl to compare apples for apples

I’m trying not to look into it too much as I really like the look of the orbea.

And I have no desire to change my levo just yet. Promise ?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Yeah, the SL is too slow Once hitting the 15mph limit. My shit legs?.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I think that’s when the SL comes into its own... pedalling a restricted full fat bike beyond the limit is no fun at all.
I guess I have been spoilt with a de-restricted ff.

however my SL is nearly 6kg lighter the my ff

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would take the Orbea over the SL, because of the Geo, and the build kit.

However I would want to see a real world back to back range test between the two first

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
so you would have more power?

It’s always better to have the option imo. I’d love to try both bikes and see what one feels best for me.

I’m guessing the Rise comes with range extender too?

And for comparable range you could just ride in a lower power mode to sl to compare apples for apples

I’m trying not to look into it too much as I really like the look of the orbea.

And I have no desire to change my levo just yet. Promise ?

Yes, there is a range extender for the Orbea Rise. For me, the geometry, weight and power of the Rise is simply a better fit for what and where I ride an eMTB. I ride my SC Hightower when I want a “full burn” workout.

And the SL is most certainly not “dead”. There will still be a strong market for it. It does pressure specialized to differentiate further with it beyond “less power”.

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas

I think the folks that buy the SL are buying it for what it is, an EMTB that is light and offers 35nm not more. Also, atleast around here, the Levo SL is a LBS supported bike. I have yet to see the Orbea at an LBS in the two states I ride. I'm sure the Rise is a nice bike but I doubt it will hurt the SL sales.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I think the folks that buy the SL are buying it for what it is, an EMTB that is light and offers 35nm not more. Also, atleast around here, the Levo SL is a LBS supported bike. I have yet to see the Orbea at an LBS in the two states I ride. I'm sure the Rise is a nice bike but I doubt it will hurt the SL sales.

My Rise will be delivered and serviced by a local bike shop here in Pennsylvania.

The Rise, and similar future bikes from other manufacturers, will definitely affect Levo SL sales. It is just as lightweight but offers more power.

That said, with supply chain issues, Specialized will still be able to sell every SL they can produce.

competition is a good thing for everyone.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
That's a tedious, predictable meme.

As I say, I could easily buy a Rise right now - but it offers absolutely nothing I have any interest in. It's not a paradigm shifter, it's not special, it's just an obvious bit of band-wagon jumping. It's simply an emasculated FF bike, with some weight-saving.

You could as easily buy any other lightweight Shimano-powered bike and turn the power down in the app.

And as to it having more power than the SL - so does everything else. That's precisely its appeal.

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

2 very different animals, and the weight weenie from Orbea is fitted with a Fox 34 and not, as on the SL, a 36, also the top tube on the Orbea, looks like someone took a hammer to it.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
That's a tedious, predictable meme.

As I say, I could easily buy a Rise right now - but it offers absolutely nothing I have any interest in. It's not a paradigm shifter, it's not special, it's just an obvious bit of band-wagon jumping. It's simply an emasculated FF bike, with some weight-saving.

You could as easily buy any other lightweight Shimano-powered bike and turn the power down in the app.

And as to it having more power than the SL - so does everything else. That's precisely its appeal.

“Any other lightweight Shimano powered eBike”. Lol. That’s a short list.

You seem to think that the Rise can’t also be run at low power. Simple summary: the Rise can function both as an SL style bike and as a mid power bike. Why not get 2 for 1? At the same or less weight than a SL?

I don’t plan to argue this, as any bike that makes you happy is an awesome bike, but please respect that there are some significant advantages to the Rise as well. Including appearance with fully custom colors.

now let’s all go ride!

cheers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
But what you really want is an SL Evo, right? With 35nm.
Yes and No

I would love to see an SL Evo, and for me having just 35nm would not be an issue, as the driving factor in my decision is low weight, but having said that if there where two 18kg lightweight EMTB's which ticked all the boxes, but one had more power, then I would probably get that one as no reason not to unless range was well down on an SL

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
I have both on preorder, but I am canceling the SL comp alu over a Rise M10. I’ve only tested the SL and liked it, but the offering of the Rise was just too damn tempting. For almost the same money (preorder price both) I get full carbon frame over Aluminum , Fox36 Factory grip2 over 34 Rhythm; Dpx2 kashima over float performance, Shimano XT group over NX, XT brakes over guide RE, carbon handlebars over aluminum, etc. More than 1 kg lighter bike!
On top of that a most likely better geo AND the choice of running up to 60Nm torque. I could tune it down to the SL level if I want to. I even got to customize the colors of the bike to my liking?.

So, for me the SL kind of died.

I am keeping my 2020 Kenovo for full power and bigger days!?

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
The Rise, and similar future bikes from other manufacturers, will definitely affect Levo SL sales. It is just as lightweight but offers more power.

That's what I think myself.
I love the ride feeling of the SL, but I also see that I choose the Levo FF more often than the SL. That also comes down to the people I ride with. I'm sure I would ride the SL more if it provided 60nm! It would make a more "go-to" bike when I do group rides with my friends that have full effect emtb.
I barely use the range extender. Just needed it once this season. The rides I do on the SL are normally more short rides (1-2 hours) locally and when I ride with people with normal bikes. Seldom use more than 50% of the capacity.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles