Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - my build thread.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hey, I am in your same situation form before- I have a rail 9.9 AXS and am considering swapping to a Levo SL Expert Carbon. What are your thoughts in terms of comparable assistance- some have said its similar to the Turbo mode on the Bosch Performance CX, although these are two completely different bikes and the SL is lighter...

How have you found it from the handling point of view? I have found the rail very planted. I do a lot of general trail riding with some technical bits. Be good to get some feedback form you. How do you find the range etc?

It’s difficult for me to compare now, as I only owned the Rail for 3 weeks, and have been riding the SL since the end of February.

In the beginning, I felt like the Rail was a better handling bike. It was a bit slacker, and felt very planted with the weight. It was very much a point and shoot bike. If you took a wrong line, it wouldn’t matter as it would just charge over what was in the way!
Since then, I’ve changed near enough every component on the SL, and now have it exactly as I like it. It feels nimble, but stable at the same time. I take it down sections as speeds I’d never have considered on my Stumpjumper as I have confidence in it.

The other consideration is that my Rail was my first jump into eMTB. Prior to that, I’d always been riding analogue bikes.
My initial thought was that the Rail was way too powerful for me.
I ride with my SL on 30/80, and find it more than enough. With that, I’m getting about 25miles / 1200m. On the Rail, I was mainly using eMTB mode, and was getting about 15 miles / 1000m.

I ride a lot of trail riding (fire track / fires paths etc), and also a lot of fast flowing single track descents, and occasional downhill tracks.
Sure, the SL is not as capable as a downhill bike, but it’s still capable of getting me down. It handles the flowy trails better, especially tight turns. It also feels much better to ride on low power or off. There’s a little drag when off, but it feels much more like riding an analogue bike.

I’d say the only way you’re going to find out how the SL / Rail compare in terms of power is to get a demo of an SL. That’s what I did - as even after only 2 weeks (when the SL came out), I was unsure if I could cope with the loss of all the Rail’s power. I think at this point, I hadn’t got used to it enough to feel I’d lost it.
If I’d been riding the Rail for a year, I might have struggled with feeling that the SL had enough power!

Hope that makes sense?!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Out of interest did you get the matte invisiframe kit? Like the Finish of that carbon... do you think you could get 2.6 E-wilds on the back?

I went Matte.
Plenty of people with a 2.6 on the rear with no issues. The SL isn’t heavy enough to warrant an ‘e’ specific tyre though.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
I’ve got a test ride thread out here somewhere that has details of my build in it - but here’s the info in an easier to read format rather than spanning over loads of posts...

My Bike:

Specialized Levo SL Expert - Size XL
What’s changed:

Full Invisiframe kit
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 cassette
RockShox Reverb AXS 170 x 34.9mm dropper post
RockShox Lyric Ultimate 160mm 51 offset fork
ENVE DH Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Magura MT7 brakes
Magura Storm HC Rotors (200mm + 180mm)
Magura Carbon levers
Specialized Phenom S-Works saddle
HT Components ANS-10 Supreme pedals
Ergon GE1 Evo Grips
Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 front tyre
Maxxis DHR II 29 x 2.3 rear tyre
Muc Off 45mm tubeless valves
Mudhugger FRX mudguard (trimmed) at rear
Some cosmetic changes - Magura purple rings for the brakes, some titanium iridescent screws dotted about... and iridescent headset spacers.

View attachment 30025 View attachment 30026
View attachment 30028
You have to be the best person I can ask this question seeing what you did to your SL. First off a little about me. 55 years old. Been riding emtb's for about 2 years know. A fairly modified 2018 Focus Jam2 Plus Pro. Got a little over 2300 miles on it. I like the power well enough but I don't get my hart rate up much and I tend to hurt myself though it's not the bikes fault at all.

Now for the real question. I have a chance to get a 2021 S Works Turbo Levo SL for about $10,000 usd. It's like new with only two rides on it. I'm no speed demon but I need to keep up with my friends who are XC racers but don't go full out all the time. On my Focus I could keep up with them in trail mode no problem. I would like the to be capable on the SL too. My focus is about 50 lb's and I would also like a light weight bike too. I will still keep the Focus, Just wondering how I would get on with the SL. I can't test ride it do to just having surgery. Severed my patellar tendon. Yes, I did it on my Focus being foolish. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Nate
ducky tree.jpg

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
The 2021 Sworks has carbon everything and AXS everything, mt7 brakes, kashima factory, and is as light as air. Yes you should buy it for that price If you have the funds. The SL will keep up, it's like having an extra pair of legs.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I'm no speed demon but I need to keep up with my friends who are XC racers but don't go full out all the time. On my Focus I could keep up with them in trail mode no problem. I would like the to be capable on the SL too.

Your friends are XC racers and they ride with you on acoustic bikes or EMTBs as well? If you rely on a 'full power' motor in trail mode to keep up then.

1. They're fast if they are on acoustic bikes!
2. The Levo SL may be just enough but you'll be putting in a lot more effort to keep up.

On the flat and downs you'll be at least as fast as them. There will come points on steep climbs where the 250W LevoSL motor will get dropped by any 500+W motor, even if you're in 'turbo' and they are in 'trail'.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Your friends are XC racers and they ride with you on acoustic bikes or EMTBs as well? If you rely on a 'full power' motor in trail mode to keep up then.

1. They're fast if they are on acoustic bikes!
2. The Levo SL may be just enough but you'll be putting in a lot more effort to keep up.

On the flat and downs you'll be at least as fast as them. There will come points on steep climbs where the 250W LevoSL motor will get dropped by any 500+W motor, even if you're in 'turbo' and they are in 'trail'.
Yes they are on acoustic bikes. I'm the only one with an ebike except my girlfriends and we have to wait for her for about 5 minutes every mile. Her skill level is a bit lacking as she never rode a dirt bike or bmx when she was young. Thank you for your help. I'm feeling more confident as I read the replies.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
The 2021 Sworks has carbon everything and AXS everything, mt7 brakes, kashima factory, and is as light as air. Yes you should buy it for that price If you have the funds. The SL will keep up, it's like having an extra pair of legs.
Thank you for your reply. And also the new fox 36 forks too. I was telling my girlfriend it was almost to good a deal to pass buy and the odds of finding the S Works at this price with warranty and all is probably never gonna come again.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
You have to be the best person I can ask this question seeing what you did to your SL. First off a little about me. 55 years old. Been riding emtb's for about 2 years know. A fairly modified 2018 Focus Jam2 Plus Pro. Got a little over 2300 miles on it. I like the power well enough but I don't get my hart rate up much and I tend to hurt myself though it's not the bikes fault at all.

Now for the real question. I have a chance to get a 2021 S Works Turbo Levo SL for about $10,000 usd. It's like new with only two rides on it. I'm no speed demon but I need to keep up with my friends who are XC racers but don't go full out all the time. On my Focus I could keep up with them in trail mode no problem. I would like the to be capable on the SL too. My focus is about 50 lb's and I would also like a light weight bike too. I will still keep the Focus, Just wondering how I would get on with the SL. I can't test ride it do to just having surgery. Severed my patellar tendon. Yes, I did it on my Focus being foolish. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Nate
View attachment 46675

I have a 20 Sworks Levo but added a 20 Expert Carbon SL. I ride both as they are completely different bikes. If you can swing the cost you will be very glad you have both.
IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
Hi,

I did install a cupple weeks ago an SRAM AXS Upgrade kit. But now, the controller interferes with my ergonomics because it is positioned too far to the right.

IMG_0140.jpg

Is this attachment (marked in red) also available for the left (inner) side? If so, what are you looking for? Where could I buy this part?

IMG_0139.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

slate104

Sep 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hi,

I did install a cupple weeks ago an SRAM AXS Upgrade kit. But now, the controller interferes with my ergonomics because it is positioned too far to the right.

View attachment 47589

Is this attachment (marked in red) also available for the left (inner) side? If so, what are you looking for? Where could I buy this part?

View attachment 47590

Thanks in advance for your help.

I guess it matters what brakes you have. I am running Shimano XTR brakes with AXS dropper and derailleur so I ended up getting these...

Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Right
Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Left

from Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Right

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
I guess it matters what brakes you have. I am running Shimano XTR brakes with AXS dropper and derailleur so I ended up getting these...

Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Right
Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Left

from Bike Yoke I-Spec EV Adapter for Triggy, Right
thanks...for that fast response

I use the original Levo SL Expert brakes SRAM G2 RSC...I think, the Matchmaker X is the right part.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Good luck with those. I had 3 pairs go within about 18m. They then suggested I use the alloy axle instead as it's tougher. They lasted about 6 months as well. They do look the part though and super light.

What do you mean when you said they ‘go’?
Mine rode perfectly last weekend, but today not so much. I was only riding round the block with my 5 year old daughter on her bike - and both pedals were making quite loud cracking noises every time I put any weight on them.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Got on my bike at the weekend, and heard a loud ‘crack’ noise from behind me. When I turned round to see what it was, my seat spun with me.
Turns out my seat post clamp had snapped. Not sure how, cause I haven’t touched it for about 8 months?!

A bit of a panic, as I called 2x LBS’, and neither had an oddly sized 38.6mm one in stock.
With it being Christmas, Tier 4, and having 12 days off, I thought I’d probably want to use my bike... so I managed to find a Hope 38.5mm one in stock, and paid for a next day delivery.

It arrived today, and I was surprised at how heavy it was. It feels thicker aluminium than the stock one... but it has a huge bolt, so is nearly double the weight.

It’ll do for now though, as I’m sure an extra 13g isn’t worth crying about!

ED526D85-9625-4390-AB0F-F43913571014.jpeg
B5532139-3295-48AF-8AB8-D42FB2657546.jpeg

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Pretty sure I have made the same mistake with the full fat Levo I just brought
I love it but I am fairly fit and it kinda offers me to much assistant but if I put it in eco it’s a chore to pedal
Wondering if I should sell / try to sell and buy a sl
Sadly I am out of my satisfaction period tho

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Pretty sure I have made the same mistake with the full fat Levo I just brought
I love it but I am fairly fit and it kinda offers me to much assistant but if I put it in eco it’s a chore to pedal
Wondering if I should sell / try to sell and buy a sl
Sadly I am out of my satisfaction period tho

See if you can get a test ride of a Levo SL before making any decisions. It might be that you think it’s not powerful enough and miss what the Levo has to offer. I managed to get one for the day, so took it to 2 different trails to compare it - whilst taking it home for a charge / lunch in the middle! It was good to ride it on my regular trails rather than a car park, as I could see how it compared to my Stumpjumper (which I’ve ridden round them hundreds of times) and the Rail.

I’d only had the Rail 2 weeks when I changed, so it still felt vastly over powered. If I’d been riding that for a few months, I’d probably feel like the SL was weak in comparison.

The SL doesn’t have much resistance at all, and can be ridden with the power off quite easily. Obviously it’s a bit heavier than a regular bike... but I rode with a friend on my Stumpjumper and set my SL at 10/10. The theory was this would cover the drag from the motor and the extra weight. I think the SL still had a slight advantage - but it made it much more even!

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
Got on my bike at the weekend, and heard a loud ‘crack’ noise from behind me. When I turned round to see what it was, my seat spun with me.
Turns out my seat post clamp had snapped. Not sure how, cause I haven’t touched it for about 8 months?!

A bit of a panic, as I called 2x LBS’, and neither had an oddly sized 38.6mm one in stock.
With it being Christmas, Tier 4, and having 12 days off, I thought I’d probably want to use my bike... so I managed to find a Hope 38.5mm one in stock, and paid for a next day delivery.

It arrived today, and I was surprised at how heavy it was. It feels thicker aluminium than the stock one... but it has a huge bolt, so is nearly double the weight.

It’ll do for now though, as I’m sure an extra 13g isn’t worth crying about!

View attachment 47913 View attachment 47914
The Wolf Thooth Seatposts are just 21g in Size 38.6mm. So you could safe 7g against the Hope. If you buy 2, then 14g ;-)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A couple more mods to the bike over the last few days.

Fitted a Chris King Dropset 5 tonight. In doing that, I’ve removed the tool / mechanism in the steerer, so will have knocked a few g’s off the overall weight! The old bearings were pretty knackered and feel pretty gritty.

My chain snapped a few weeks ago. Ordered a new XX1 rainbow chain, and fitted it. The gears kept skipping when under mood. I wondered if it was because the chain length had changed slightly due to it being new, but it turned out it’s just down to a few worn teeth on the cassette. I thought I’d been maintaining it very well - regular lube, cleaning and occasional soaks in the ultrasonic bath at work... but obviously not well enough! I’ve ordered a new XX1 rainbow cassette, but this time I’ve taken the 52T one.
I’ve bought a new Wolftooth 32T chainring too, which will hopefully give me a bit more speed... but with the 52T cog, I shouldn’t lose much of the bail out gear.

I’ve also ordered another XX1 rainbow chain, and am going to rotate the pair of them every 150 miles. Not bike related, but I’ve also bought a whiteboard to put up on the garage wall to write my bike maintenance schedule on to remind me what’s due when!!

My AXS dropper has been away for warranty repair for over 2 months now. It’s being replaced under warranty, and the replacements have been out of stock for a long time.
Tredz advised it should be with them on the 7th May, and with me a few days later, but I’m not holding out hope as it was due mid March and moved! Currently riding with a fixed post, and it’s amazing how much you rely on a dropper... and how awkward it can be without one.

I have been running an AXS GX shifter (controller) for the last month as my XX1 one died inexplicably. It went away for a warranty replacement too, and was also out of stock (hence why I bought another). It arrived back on Thursday (took about 5 weeks), and I have received the new style one which doesn’t have the ‘paddle’. It’ll be interesting to see how that is and feels after using the paddle one for over a year.

2EF78F20-DE44-455C-B435-5385BED8E412.jpeg
994B32F3-6F36-4C04-9AD2-29BB97F86C3D.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles