Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Comp Carbon or S Works

JP2101

Jul 14, 2020
USA
So I've decided I want to get an SL and have a couple choices which I need to make in a couple of days. Should I get an SL Comp Carbon which retails for 7,500usd or a barely used S Works model for 11,000? I guess it comes down to whether the upgraded components are worth the extra 3,500usd. Or would i be better of buying the comp carbon at retail and upgrading it? Interested in hearing what you all have to say.... hmm... first world problems..? Thanks for the advice in advance!.. Jon

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve posted ‘my’ thoughts on this a few times... but it all boils down to your preferences.

At standard retail price, I ‘personally’ feel that you can buy a Comp Carbon and build a better bike (not the same bike) with the money saved. You can also eBay the bits you take off and save even more.

For me, the SL brakes are poor (on all models) and the 150mm Fox 34 needs upgraded at the very least.

It depends whether YOU would be happy with the component list of the S-Works and not feel the need to upgrade parts or not. If you’re happy with it, then go for it.
If you’d be looking to change some parts out, then you’re probably going to get better value with the Comp Carbon.

I went with the Expert, and have pretty much changed everything except wheels, rear shock and cranks. I still intend changing the rear shock and cranks very soon though.
It would have made more sense for me to get a Comp Carbon... but when I made the purchase, I didn’t intend changing everything!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’d buy the sworks just for that beautiful exposed carbon finish, then sell every part and build my own bike to my liking.

Last edited:

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Comp Carbon frame is same as S-Works. I think the purple finish is amazing. $3500 can buy a bit of upgraded components. Sell the stock stuff. Better warranty coverage for original owner. Used bike has a 2 year warranty from date of the original purchase (when the original owner bought the bike). I guess you would need some kind of documentation for that.

"If you're the second, or later, owner of a Specialized or Roval product, you are eligible for a two-year warranty from the date of the original retail purchase. "

I thought I was going to upgrade the 34 performance fork right away, but I've been impressed by how well it actually works. Will probably eventually get a 36 Factory Grip 2 when my b-day rolls around, but the 34 has been fine. I'm a trail rider, not doing 20 ft gaps, 6 foot drop to flats, but I do ride in the mountains, lots of rocky technical, high speed trails here in NM. Plenty of elevation gain and loss.

I've also been a Shimano fanboy for a number of years, but the G2 RSC brakes are fantastic. More power and modulation than my previous 4 piston XT's. The Sram eagle drivetrain is adequate, but I miss the XT 12spd I sold with my Hightower 2. Much more refined.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have a Comp and don't feel like anything needed changing. It probably depends on where and how you ride.
Comp Carbon is $1000 more than Comp and about a full water bottle lighter.

JP2101

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm more of a trail rider and would rate myself as a little bit above average. Having said that I didn't think that i would ride past the level of the fox factory components of the sworks, maybe not even past the capabilities of the OEM carbon comp components. So i would not plan to upgrade any components at least in the near future. I know folks feel that you pay a lot more than you get for these ebikes (7500usd for NX/guide components is not value for your money). But I am also aware that we are paying for the brand as well as the r&d that they put into it. I was originally looking at the comp carbon and would never have even considered the sworks if it were not discounted (13,525 retail vs 11,000). I'm looking at this from 2 perspectives: 1. Value for money and 2. Resale. For number 1, paying full price for a comp carbon those components did not seem enticing to me. Is the sworks worth 6k more? For me, absolutely not but is it worth 3,500 more... that is what I am trying to figure out. For number 2, I don't plan to keep this bike forever. I will probably get rid of the bike in 18m to 2yrs since tech advancements have been pretty rampant with these ebikes. So for number 2, what I am trying to figure out is which one will retain its value better for resale. Taking this into account it would seem to me that paying more now for a discounted sworks may be a better deal than paying retail for a comp carbon.

So far, it seems that the sentiment from most folks here is to buy the comp carbon and upgrade the components I want. Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I that’s the case then you’d be mad not to buy the Sworks. Contrary to what some say they don’t just put a higher price tag on it because it has a prettier paint job. It’s components make for a better quality ride and like you said it will hold better resale value.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
oh btw..depending on where u are, officially the warranty doesnt carry over to the next owner. only the 1st original owner. As a levo owner with 2 blown motors, i would advise u to really check your warranty status on the sworks

JP2101

Jul 14, 2020
USA
oh btw..depending on where u are, officially the warranty doesnt carry over to the next owner. only the 1st original owner. As a levo owner with 2 blown motors, i would advise u to really check your warranty status on the sworks
I’m in the US do you know if it transfers in the US?

JP2101

Jul 14, 2020
USA
The more you pay the more the 50% + depreciation in two years time (s) works out to.
So based on this the Sworks would sell for about 5500 in two years and the comp carbon 3750... I’d think that the better components would hold more of its value.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
The more you pay the more the 50% + depreciation in two years time (s) works out to.

Agreed.

Also another point...when it comes to selling, if you are selling a sworks, ppl will expect the AXS, the carbon wheels etc etc that came with it....so you cant move parts you like to your next bike.

But if you are selling a carbon comp, all the money you spent on mods, can just be moved on to your next bike, 2 ways u can do it.

1) from day 1, keep all your oem parts nice and new in plastic, when its time to sell move back everything and transfer your nice parts to your new bike

2) from day 1, sell all your oem parts...when you get your new bike..transfer over all the oem handles/stem/grip/brakes etc

I have done both ways multiple times, depends on your cash flow and if you have space in your store for Step 1..but i find it alot easier and simpler. I have renthal stem/bar, SC Reserve carbon rims etc that have traveled on to the next bike multiple times

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
So based on this the Sworks would sell for about 5500 in two years and the comp carbon 3750... I’d think that the better components would hold more of its value.

only if you find that right buyer that does appreciate it...might take a while. i sold a 18 sworks levo(full ohlins coil/rxf front) and a 19 expert levo....honestly ...the lower price of the expert made it alot easier to sell

JP2101

Jul 14, 2020
USA
only if you find that right buyer that does appreciate it...might take a while. i sold a 18 sworks levo(full ohlins coil/rxf front) and a 19 expert levo....honestly ...the lower price of the expert made it alot easier to sell
Yes that is what I was thinking as well. There would probably be less people in the market at the price point of the Sworks... looks like I’m leaning towards the comp carbon. Thanks.

MTBGUY65

Nov 15, 2018
Oregon
I just looked up the warranty on the Specialized website and attached are the facts in the US.
The second owner has the remaining warranty on all parts for two years from the original date of purchase from the 1st owner.
This includes the motor.

Attachments

• USA Specialized Warranty.pdf
    223.7 KB · Views: 557

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

Not true

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I would've bought an SL by now if I could select options for the build rather than having to swap & sell - or pile them up in my discarded parts crate.

Frame sets could be built up by the dealer with a small but diverse selection of preferred component options. Of course it's likely that logistics & economics are getting in the way - as always.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I guess I assumed that the warranty is universal
A reasonable assumption. Our Malaysian friend likely doesn't know - and certainly hasn't demonstrated - that it isn't universal. He simply made a statement of "fact", with nothing to support it...

I share your misgivings, to be honest.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
A reasonable assumption. Our Malaysian friend likely doesn't know - and certainly hasn't demonstrated - that it isn't universal. He simply made a statement of "fact", with nothing to support it...

I share your misgivings, to be honest.

well, im a Turbo ambassador for Malaysia, multiple meetings with the Spez SG HQ staff, which oversees ASEAN region, and i have asked multiple times this exact question, and the answer has always been 'dont mention it, and spez ASEAN will cover it' The refusal to give me a black and white answer leads me to assume that its not transferable.

But tbf, no one so far has had any trouble claiming warranty from our LBS, which has fantastic service. my 2 levos in total have claimed

2x motors, 1x battery, 1x roval carbon rim

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles