Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Comp Alloy or Expert

Chazbot

Apr 29, 2020
New Zealand
Just sold my Trek Rail. Looking at Levo SL Alloy model - demo'd one the other day and loved it.
Needs 160 fork though and components seem cheap for what you pay. Is it worth it to save and get Expert model? Would still need Fork upgrade I know... But components better and would be 2kg lighter than the alloy.
Main concern is weight - would like to reduce weight as much as possible but still hold up to agressive trail/enduro riding.
In NZ we don't have the Carbon Comp model here.
Thinking Alloy comp and sell parts new and build up with what I want from there keeping weight down.
Have been offered OHLINS RXF 36 EVO upgrade by shop

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Fitting a 160mm fork is not recommended by Specailized, the SL is designed around a 150mm fork , not sure i it will void the warranty but if Spesh advise against it then it may

Personally id go for the Carbon Expert to save some weight

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Fitting a 160mm fork is not recommended by Specailized, the SL is designed around a 150mm fork , not sure i it will void the warranty but if Spesh advise against it then it may

Personally id go for the Carbon Expert to save some weight
I think it's not because of the light front end than anything else.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
had similar choice.

I went alloy comp. figure w/ assist the weight isn’t going to be a huge factor. Look at the numbers and it shows what kinda weight reductions needed to be a big difference (it’s a lot).

that said- I thought alloy was only 2 pounds heavier - not 2kg like I read somewhere.

Anyway - Put my parts from my enduro race bike on it. It’s a good setup for what I needed. Here’s a list of parts as it sits:
Marz Z1, 170, 44offset
Renthal 50mm stem/30mm rise fatbar carbon
XTR drivetrain/cassette
atomic platform pedals
King hubs, ex471 rims, DT comp spokes
Eliminator grid trail front/aggressor DD R
Stock guide brakes and xfusion dropper

42.9 pounds as it sits (w/some dirt).

Could drop more weight for sure. The fork is 200g heavier than a 36 or Lyrik. Carbon rims and flimsy tires could save 500g easily. Maybe another 100 on the dropper. So that’s 800g/1.75 pounds for a ton of $ and negligible ride benefits.

current ride quality is good, but not perfect

The stock brakes lack power and need something better (saints!)

the rear shock is harsh on small bump and blows through travel. Cascade link and a coil are probably a good solution.

hope that helps from the alloy perspective.

Chazbot

Apr 29, 2020
New Zealand
had similar choice.

I went alloy comp. figure w/ assist the weight isn’t going to be a huge factor. Look at the numbers and it shows what kinda weight reductions needed to be a big difference (it’s a lot).

that said- I thought alloy was only 2 pounds heavier - not 2kg like I read somewhere.

Anyway - Put my parts from my enduro race bike on it. It’s a good setup for what I needed. Here’s a list of parts as it sits:
Marz Z1, 170, 44offset
Renthal 50mm stem/30mm rise fatbar carbon
XTR drivetrain/cassette
atomic platform pedals
King hubs, ex471 rims, DT comp spokes
Eliminator grid trail front/aggressor DD R
Stock guide brakes and xfusion dropper

42.9 pounds as it sits (w/some dirt).

Could drop more weight for sure. The fork is 200g heavier than a 36 or Lyrik. Carbon rims and flimsy tires could save 500g easily. Maybe another 100 on the dropper. So that’s 800g/1.75 pounds for a ton of $ and negligible ride benefits.

current ride quality is good, but not perfect

The stock brakes lack power and need something better (saints!)

the rear shock is harsh on small bump and blows through travel. Cascade link and a coil are probably a good solution.

hope that helps from the alloy perspective.

Thanks Grizzy from what I've read the Expert in size M would be just under 2kg lighter that equivalent Alloy comp model though the Expert components would need upgrading also.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'd wait for the 2021 so expert. The spec is going to be much higher and you won't need to upgrade forks. Early suggestions say it is going to have fox elite forks which are the same spec design as factory plus better drivetrain and shock

Chazbot

Apr 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'd wait for the 2021 so expert. The spec is going to be much higher and you won't need to upgrade forks. Early suggestions say it is going to have fox elite forks which are the same spec design as factory plus better drivetrain and shock

Cool when are they being released do you know?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I don't know for sure but as the 2020 expert is no longer being ordered by shops and the 2021 carbon comp is now beginning to arrive, I doubt it will be be too much longer. Maybe another month or two. However this is speculation.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
I don't know for sure but as the 2020 expert is no longer being ordered by shops and the 2021 carbon comp is now beginning to arrive, I doubt it will be be too much longer. Maybe another month or two. However this is speculation.
MikesBikes has the 2021 Levo’s up (not SL)

if parts spec follows suit the ‘21 expert should be dialed (X01/36 Grip2)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles