Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Carbon Frames - Check Your Main Pivot Bolts!!! Warranty

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere
I took my Levo SL Expert out for a ride just over a week ago and noticed that the rear end felt a little 'sloppy'. ON checking there seemed to be more than expected movement on the drive side main pivot (located behind the chainring). I spoke with the LBS who, due to Covid-19, are only opening the shop once a week to deal with deliveries etc. Dropped the bike into them this morning and have just received the call to advise me that the main front triangle needs to be replaced as the pivot bolt treads on the main frame are stripped as are the treads on the bolt itself.

This couldn't of happened at a worse time. The bike has been my release valve from the stress of the current lockdown. The LBS expect that this could perhaps take a few weeks to sort out as it will be dependent upon Specialized being able to source a new frame and then the length of time it will take to get the frame to the LBS and then when the LBS will be able to rebuild the bike. I've suggested that Specialized would do better to warranty the whole bike as i assume that this would be quicker than waiting on a frame.

The bike has covered about 200 miles from new and has been brilliant so far, everything i hoped it would be. Lets see how long it takes for this to be resolved.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I had a creaking sound from the drive side main pivot area on my SL. I removed the main pivot bolts 2 black anodized spacers dropped out of the non drive side and there were no spacers present on the drive side. Spaces were symmetrical with one side being concave with flat lip and with a flat surface on the other side. I assumed they assembled it incorrectly as one spacer should be on each side of the pivot, in between the arm pinion and carbon surface of the bottom bracket frame mounting point.

I re lubed everything with super techy grease, put a spacer on each side, bolted everything back together torqued it properly, and the rear swing arm operates very nicely and smoothly. I didn't notice any stripped threads or anything like that but I didn't check very closely as everything went back together pretty smoothly and torqued down properly.

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere
I had a creaking sound from the drive side main pivot area on my SL. I removed the main pivot bolts 2 black anodized spacers dropped out of the non drive side and there were no spacers present on the drive side. Spaces were symmetrical with one side being concave with flat lip and with a flat surface on the other side. I assumed they assembled it incorrectly as one spacer should be on each side of the pivot, in between the arm pinion and carbon surface of the bottom bracket frame mounting point.

I re lubed everything with super techy grease, put a spacer on each side, bolted everything back together torqued it properly, and the rear swing arm operates very nicely and smoothly. I didn't notice any stripped threads or anything like that but I didn't check very closely as everything went back together pretty smoothly and torqued down properly.

losgatosgtr I am happy to hear that you managed to sort your issue with a bit of careful greasing.
I am very pleased to report that following my post this morning Specialized must monitor these forums as they have been in touch and have given an undertaking to get the matter resolved ASAP. Great service so far !!!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Very interesting, As I've had a sqeak on mine, did a full bolt check and that same one wasn't torqued fully - only just, will check to see if its gone tomorrow on mine, else rear end strip down for mine too.

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere
Very interesting, As I've had a sqeak on mine, did a full bolt check and that same one wasn't torqued fully - only just, will check to see if its gone tomorrow on mine, else rear end strip down for mine too.

it would be interesting to hear if you have the same issue - I hope not!

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
Interesting. Just got my SL and noticed the same things. Creak coming when the suspension compresses. Couldn’t figure out what. One ride on it. I guess time to pull the rear end apart too.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Suppose I'd better take a look at mine before my weekend rides!
Can you get at the one behind the chain ring without removing lots of other bits? I'm sitting at work, so I can't picture the bike!

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Can you get at the one behind the chain ring without removing lots of other bits? I'm sitting at work, so I can't picture the bike!

If you want to remove chainstay, you need remove first the chainring.

chinesederek

Feb 6, 2020
Windermere

To get to the drive side main pivot bolt you will need to remove the chainring, but that is no great thing.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Checked mine... All was set correctly. Cleaned and greased and put back together.

Wonder what kind of a idiot has assempled the bike with both spacers at same side. Maybe need a different kind of job.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
My main pivot still creaks even after reassembling it with the spacers in correct position, re greasing, re torque. Creak went away for two rides then came back. Not sure what to do now.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
So I got to the bottom of mine, the rear mech wasn't fully tight and was moving enough to sqweek...

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Standard Specialized maintenance, new bike check every nut, bolt, washer. First 5 rides repeat and then every 3 rides same again. Don’t know if it’s an ebike thing or a Specialized thing but I found if I do this and keep things lubed, almost no problems.
I’ve also found regardless of brand, forks and shocks should be rebuilt from factory or very soon after bed in process. The difference after a rebuild was immediately noticeable. Almost as if they skimped out on oil/lube in initial assembly, both quality of product used and effort put into quality control.
Business is business I suppose.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Standard Specialized maintenance, new bike check every nut, bolt, washer. First 5 rides repeat and then every 3 rides same again. Don’t know if it’s an ebike thing or a Specialized thing but I found if I do this and keep things lubed, almost no problems.
I’ve also found regardless of brand, forks and shocks should be rebuilt from factory or very soon after bed in process. The difference after a rebuild was immediately noticeable. Almost as if they skimped out on oil/lube in initial assembly, both quality of product used and effort put into quality control.
Business is business I suppose.

Yea I had checked everything but the rear mech in the last week...... stupid me.

As you say about forks, tempted to do mine, when adding some volume spacers, the amount of fork grease in them was insane, more than you'd need for 10 services imho.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yea I had checked everything but the rear mech in the last week...... stupid me.

As you say about forks, tempted to do mine, when adding some volume spacers, the amount of fork grease in them was insane, more than you'd need for 10 services imho.
Yeah my brothers Boxxers just got 29 lowers put on and the rebound side was totally destroyed, 10 rides old. I was running them on my 19 Kenevo and every jump I hit they were shooting out and twisting my bike.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
my ride was squeaking for a while, kept thinking it was the head tube so I would continually re-adjust but the squeak would come back. Now that my rear shock pivot bolt has shear'd off, thinking it might of been that all along. Now just trying to find a replacement and will have to remove the remainder of the bolt from the frame boss.

My riding weekend is now shot, dammit!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Mine developed a rear suspension related creek a few rides in. Everything appeared to be tightened correctly and there was no discernible play anywhere. I blew out all the rear linkages with an airline (it’s been very dry and dusty here of late with lots of grit being flung up) and the creak has now gone, so there must have been some foreign objects lodged somewhere

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Re the sounds, I’ve developed a few here and there and have always been resolved with a clean, oil and a re torque check. Had similar things with ally Kenevo but more do on carbon frame.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Not really drastic problems in my opinion. Every full suspension bike I have owned has had a creak or two but all were fixed with lube and proper torque and maintenance. An ebike is no different.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles