Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL buggered

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Just had the update done, rode home ok, washed bike, dried with airline charged up, all ok three days later go to switch her on and NOTHING! not one single glimmer of a light!! Any ideas from the Hive Mind?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Loose or bad connection. 99% of the time with ebikes. Or... Water ingress could have caused a short circuit?

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Drying off with an airline is a big no no, All you are doing is pushing water into and past seals. If you need to dry, use a car drying towel. I'd take off the plugs inspect and dry any that are wet.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I assume you've taken the battery out and checked those terminals? It suggests no power is getting through, so the battery. One other possibility is try putting the battery on the charger - for some bizarre reason it could be dead flat?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
If you had the firmware update, is it possible the shop did that using the USB connector on the TCU? If so, they could have left a lose connection up there. Get the TCU out and check the connections. Also, if they didn't put the USB cover back properly, your wash might have got in there? Depends if you airlined the TCU though...

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
There is no water in anywhere, there are no loose connections, two different TCUs have been plugged in and 2 chargers tried.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I assume you've taken the battery out and checked those terminals? It suggests no power is getting through, so the battery. One other possibility is try putting the battery on the charger - for some bizarre reason it could be dead flat?
He would have to remove the motor to remove the battery

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The only Levo SL failure I have encountered sounds similar to your situation.
In the end it was the main wire harness. When the battery was installed one of the wires from the TCU was pinched between the battery and the frame.
When I had the TCU out of the frame and still connected I could move the TCU and the bike would turn off and on.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I have taken it back, they are waiting on specialized, I just wondered if anyone out there has had similar issue so that I can help bikeshop get it sorted ASAP, was looking for constructive help really.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have taken it back, they are waiting on specialized, I just wondered if anyone out there has had similar issue so that I can help bikeshop get it sorted ASAP, was looking for constructive help really.

it does seem unusual. you could have just got inlucky with a piece of electronics either inside the motor, TCU, or battery. I wish I could help more.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I'm not unduly concerned, it takes as long as it takes in these difficult times, I'm just building my leg strength back up on the clockwork instead! Mind you shop manager said if it looks like a long wait he's going to cannibalise one of the un-opened bikes to get me back on track!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I'm not unduly concerned, it takes as long as it takes in these difficult times, I'm just building my leg strength back up on the clockwork instead! Mind you shop manager said if it looks like a long wait he's going to cannibalise one of the un-opened bikes to get me back on track!

Have heard very few problems with the Mahle/SL so I think this is just an anomaly. Sorry to hear in any case. Sounds like you have got a good dealer there also..

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
Just had the update done, rode home ok, washed bike, dried with airline charged up, all ok three days later go to switch her on and NOTHING! not one single glimmer of a light!! Any ideas from the Hive Mind?
I have also some strange issue with the Vado SL (same ebike setup as my Levo SL)...The update was done a cupple day ago. After that, I was driving some nice km.

Then yesterday: I was able to power up, but not able switching between the three modes on TCU and Remote. I did try to reset the TCU and was also removing the backup battery. Did not help. the bike was starting in the trail mode and changed immediately to off mode.

I had just motor support with Smart Control and the mission control app.

The LBS had also no fast solution....

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have also some strange issue with the Vado SL (same ebike setup as my Levo SL)...The update was done a cupple day ago. After that, I was driving some nice km.

Then yesterday: I was able to power up, but not able switching between the three modes on TCU and Remote. I did try to reset the TCU and was also removing the backup battery. Did not help. the bike was starting in the trail mode and changed immediately to off mode.

I had just motor support with Smart Control and the mission control app.

The LBS had also no fast solution....
Yes, you should really hold back on the firmware updates! I still haven't updated my shimano system - latest updates have been out for a couple of months now. Looking at those updates, I realise they will improve nothing for me, so I won't apply those updates. If it was an update that would improve my walk mode, I'd want it, but I'd still wait to see if there were any problems with it. Just look at all the trouble Giant owners have had!

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland
Yes, you should really hold back on the firmware updates! I still haven't updated my shimano system - latest updates have been out for a couple of months now. Looking at those updates, I realise they will improve nothing for me, so I won't apply those updates. If it was an update that would improve my walk mode, I'd want it, but I'd still wait to see if there were any problems with it. Just look at all the trouble Giant owners have had!
I did a quick visit at LBS...Changing the TCU did not help....they think it could be a bad cable connection. But this make for me no sense, when Smart Control is working...we will see...

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've held off on updating my Levo for this reason. These software updates don't seem to go through the same QA Testing as maybe they should.

It may be hardware. However, remember that people on the forum only come on to post problems rather than the 1000's of Mahle's out there without issue.

Feel for you, so annoying having a bike off the road/trail..

cb700

Sep 11, 2020
San Rafael, CA, USA
I experienced the same thing with my Turbo Levo Comp (less than 30 days old). My LBS says its a bad battery and Specialized is sending a replacement under warranty. Battery should arrive in 4 days (17 days after warranty replacement approved. I'm in Northern California BTW). I don't have great confidence in this LBS. They also will not loan me a battery to get me back riding while the replacement is sent. We will see if in the end a simple battery replacement fixes things.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
As the great Jack Rickard said “I never met a connector I liked”

Yeah, most inexpensive connectors are pretty bad. For our environment we might look for connectors made for dirt/mud/water/vibration... the construction equipment industry. Deutsch DT and AmpSeal 16 are pretty good in that environment, they probably cost more than the bike manufacturers want to spend.

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina
I have a new 2021 SL Bought three weeks ago and sometimes it will not start when power is pushed. Jostling it helps and it eventually will turn on. I figured loose wire or something and am waiting to bring it back for the 30 day checkup. Try picking it up a few inches and dropping.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles