Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2022 - 60nm?

a.rohde

Feb 15, 2021
Denmark
Hi Guys

I know nobody really knows but would appreciate your opinion. Do you think Specialized could potentially choose to upgrade the SL motor to a version with 60nm of torque on the 2022 models?

I looking into buying my next ebike within the next year.
I love the SL but I'm afraid I can't follow along with my friends on FF eMTB's with on 30nm of Torque - 60 should be fine though.
I ride mostly short rides of 1-1½ hours so the smaller battery size and weight is an advantage for me.
Love to jump, manual and play around with the bike.

I know I could go and pick the Orbea Rise which have the 60nm of Torque and smaller battery, but the SL is just so much nicer, and for me the Rise seems to be more trail oriented.

/Anders

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Not a chance in hell will they bring out a 60nm mahle motor , its will eat through the battery like nothing on earth .. and its 35nm the current motor . we may get a 10nm increase on software update on current motor .

join the Facebook Levo Sl owners group . Facebook Groups

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
What Spesh *might* do is offer a 'normal' Levo (non-SL) with a more powerful motor from Mahle, based on the Levo SL motor, replacing the Brose motor. But, yeah, that would be a new Levo not a new Levo SL.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hi Guys

I know nobody really knows but would appreciate your opinion. Do you think Specialized could potentially choose to upgrade the SL motor to a version with 60nm of torque on the 2022 models?

I looking into buying my next ebike within the next year.
I love the SL but I'm afraid I can't follow along with my friends on FF eMTB's with on 30nm of Torque - 60 should be fine though.
I ride mostly short rides of 1-1½ hours so the smaller battery size and weight is an advantage for me.
Love to jump, manual and play around with the bike.

I know I could go and pick the Orbea Rise which have the 60nm of Torque and smaller battery, but the SL is just so much nicer, and for me the Rise seems to be more trail oriented.

/Anders

Curious question : what is “nicer” about the SL vs the Rise? Certainly not geometry, range, power, spec, or weight? Most are roughly the same except that the Rise has more power, and can be fully customized. Specialized has more dealers and better local support.

monton1999

Mar 22, 2021
Spain
Curious question : what is “nicer” about the SL vs the Rise? Certainly not geometry, range, power, spec, or weight? Most are roughly the same except that the Rise has more power, and can be fully customized. Specialized has more dealers and better local support.
The rise is loaded with components more suited for a cross country bike in order to achive their claimed weight. They are cheating. Cross country components of course are lighter but they are not a good choice for a trail/enduro bike. When you mount the correct components (four piston brakes, 200 mm disks, 36 FOX front suspension and DPX2 shock and proper tyres like on the SL) there it goes the "weight advantage". I recommend you to check Orbea's web site and compare the standard specs of the Rise M-LTD (The one they use for the claimed weight on their marketing material) with the standard specs for the RISE M10. Funny, isn't it? They mount the correct components on the M10 becasuse they don't use that variant for their marketing weight claims. Plenty of people have checked and the real weight of the M10 is about 19.5 kg pedals included. Much heavier than the SL as expected. The Shimano EP8 motor is much heavier than the SL motor and they must use cross country components to try and compensate for that.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The rise is loaded with components more suited for a cross country bike in order to achive their claimed weight. They are cheating. Cross country components of course are lighter but they are not a good choice for a trail/enduro bike. When you mount the correct components (four piston brakes, 200 mm disks, 36 FOX front suspension and DPX2 shock and proper tyres like on the SL) there it goes the "weight advantage". I recommend you to check Orbea's web site and compare the standard specs of the Rise M-LTD (The one they use for the claimed weight on their marketing material) with the standard specs for the RISE M10. Funny, isn't it? They mount the correct components on the M10 becasuse they don't use that variant for their marketing weight claims. Plenty of people have checked and the real weight of the M10 is about 19.5 kg pedals included. Much heavier than the SL as expected. The Shimano EP8 motor is much heavier than the SL motor and they must use cross country components to try and compensate for that.

Huh. My Rise is outfit with a Fox 36 and a DPX2, 4 pot brakes, etc. - pretty burly spec and I'd be comfortable on almost any amateur enduro course with it.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
That's OK with me. The only thing I wanted to clarify was that in that case (both bikes equipped with roughly equivalent components) the Rise is heavier than the SL, not lighter...

Not so sure about that, but they're close enough. Mine weighs in just a shade over 39 pounds with more enduro/trail components on it (brakes, fork, shock). But at roughly the same weight, I guess my point is that 35nm vs 60nm is a HUGE difference.

a.rohde

Feb 15, 2021
Denmark
I guess with the launch of the Kenovo SL my questions is answered. The new Kenevo SL still have the 35nm motor so I’m pretty sure we won’t see a new 60nm motor within the next year or so. So I’ll properly stick with my turbo Levo a year or two more. Did consider the Rise and make it a 160/160 mullet. But it will end up costing a fortune and not really save that much weight compared to my levo expert.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Specialized have a contract with Brose until 2024 so highly unlikely they'll replace the higher power motors with Mahle.

There are derivatives of the Mahle motor with 50nm so higher power with a similar internal build, we may just see firmware updates to increase the power of the current model...

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
60 N*M is an entirely new motor, feasible and probably likely down the road but not just a tune on the existing motor. Gears, shafts, splines, clutches all have to be designed larger. The extra heat has to go somewhere and the battery has to power it for a decent amount of time.
Like a car when the designers went to a bigger engine: the clutch broke; then the transmission; driveshaft; differential; axles... eventually it all worked reliably but only after more weight and money.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Not sure but that's what the Rise kicks out and it seems to be the biggest critique of the SL ' that the motor doesn't quite give enough power'.
I looked at both, SL has the pedigree for sure but at my budget the Rise offered more bang for your buck. For me both are aimed at XC/trail because if you wanted power you would buy a big motor and battery and tear up the fire roads at full throttle. You cannot consider them pure XC either as they are too heavy. Mine is 18kg which is still heavy especially in the world of XC. I went for the burlier Team as that is all I could find (and the most I wanted to spend). I think this trend will continue so expect to see more brands entering the market with lighter full suss e-bikes. I don't think it'll be too long before there's a SID 100mm equipped XC whippet at sub 13-14kg . God knows how much that'll cost.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Sub 13kg is not possible before a long time.

Because 13.45kg is the weight of a carbon road Turbo Creo equipped with light DTSwiss XC1500 wheels and light Tracer Pro tires.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pretty sure there are lighter road e bikes than the creo.

IIRC the Focus Raven hardtail EMTB with the Fazua motor has been built up at 13kg but it’s 130mm xc bike, and that was 4 years ago

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
"60 NM" is kind of like saying my car has 570 Nm (it does) : there are more specifications required if it is to mean anything. At what pedal angle is the maximum torque delivered; what is it at other pedal angles ?; at what RPM ?; for how long ?...

60 Nm is nice but without a few more qualifiers it doesn't mean much and does not allow a good comparison with other bikes/motors. It is time for some standards in the industry. The SL 35 Nm is not much but it seems like more than 1/3 of the Vado 90 Nm.

A1000

Aug 16, 2021
UK
The SL 35 Nm is not much but it seems like more than 1/3 of the Vado 90 Nm.

Good point, well made - the Levo SL is 35Nm and the Levo 90Nm (2.6x greater) yet the marketing says the SL is 2x your effort whereas the Levo is 4x. While the marketing specs almost always show the maximum (or minimum) achievable on a specific measure, max/min of all relevant dimensions is rarely what you get to give the optimum performance. There are trade-off's as we live within the laws of physics. Even with EMTBs ;)

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Sick!!!!
New alloy Stumpy Evo.
With SWAT storage and the new Fox Float X.

Damn, its better spec'd than the carbon comp.

And look, they've moved to One Up droppers.

Damn Specialized, you ain't playing no more 😀

My next bike👍🏿

SDP

Dec 21, 2020
??
I have a Kenevo SL and I ride with my FF eMTB bike friend by using the next power up. So if he / she uses Eco you need to be in Trail etc. Sure if they use Turbo, you’ll fall back.
However, the benefits of the lighter bike and also for solo rides/training far out weigh a heavier bike, where in my honest opinion even Eco seems over powered on a FF for a fit rider. Take it from me 35nm is plenty 💪🏻 and the SL range is the most natural feeling eMTB out there. 👌🏻

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles