Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL “6-Fatties” (his and hers)

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Her Small Comp Carbon…

Levo SL Jill.jpg

His Large Comp Carbon…

Levo SL Larry..jpg

We converted our SLs from 29ers to 6-Fatties. Winter/Spring is desert riding time here in SoCal, and we like to run 3.0 tires for floatation in sandy conditions. Because 29x3 tires don’t fit in the back we usually run a 27.5x3 rear tire and either 27.5x3 or 29x3 up front. Either wheel combo works fine on most of our local hardpack trials +/- kittly litter, sand and rock.

We put the SL fatties on a diet using parts hanging around the garage or transferred from our regular Levos or other bikes.

Guess whose bike built up skinniest? Here's her Small: 35.3 lb (16.0 kg) without pedals
weight Jill.jpg

The Large was only slightly fatter: 36.1 lb (16.4 kg) without pedals.
With flat pedals the ready-to-ride weights are just under 37 lb. Here’s the Large with pedals, Garmin, and Timber Bell
weight Larry.jpg

The greatest weight savings came from the wheels, tires and cassettes:
Wheels - Light Bicycle i45 carbon rims, DT350 hubs
Tires - Rocket Ron 27.5x3.0
Drivetrain - XT shifter and derailleur, 11-speed Garbaruk 11-48 cassette
Handlebars - carbon EC90 (her) or S-Works (me)
Brakes - Shimano XT disc rotors, and Kool Stop organic pads!
Pedals - OneUp composite flats
Mrs levity’s SL also has a light Wren stem and her Concealed Carry SWAT tool was replaced with a star-nut/top-cap because I already carry a SWAT tool.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
Her Small Comp Carbon…

View attachment 27256

His Large Comp Carbon…

View attachment 27257

We converted our SLs from 29ers to 6-Fatties. Winter/Spring is desert riding time here in SoCal, and we like to run 3.0 tires for floatation in sandy conditions. Because 29x3 tires don’t fit in the back we usually run a 27.5x3 rear tire and either 27.5x3 or 29x3 up front. Either wheel combo works fine on most of our local hardpack trials +/- kittly litter, sand and rock.

We put the SL fatties on a diet using parts hanging around the garage or transferred from our regular Levos or other bikes.

Guess whose bike built up skinniest? Here's her Small: 35.3 lb (16.0 kg) without pedals
View attachment 27258

The Large was only slightly fatter: 36.1 lb (16.4 kg) without pedals.
With flat pedals the ready-to-ride weights are just under 37 lb. Here’s the Large with pedals, Garmin, and Timber Bell
View attachment 27262

The greatest weight savings came from the wheels, tires and cassettes:
Wheels - Light Bicycle i45 carbon rims, DT350 hubs
Tires - Rocket Ron 27.5x3.0
Drivetrain - XT shifter and derailleur, 11-speed Garbaruk 11-48 cassette
Handlebars - carbon EC90 (her) or S-Works (me)
Brakes - Shimano XT disc rotors, and Kool Stop organic pads!
Pedals - OneUp composite flats
Mrs levity’s SL also has a light Wren stem and her Concealed Carry SWAT tool was replaced with a star-nut/top-cap because I already carry a SWAT tool.
Nice! Did you keep the Levo's for the summer mountain climbing in Tahoe?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@losgatosgtr - We've had LB build custom wheels for us for several years in 26, 27.5, and 29er sizes with i30-i65 carbon rims, DT Swiss 350 or Bigwheel hubs, DT or Sapim spokes. They've all come in at or below the listed weights, have been true, and have held up well. The 650b wheels pictured above on the SLs have lived thru several bikes without any issues or truing.

You can spec the rim, hub, spokes, nipples, freehub, ratchet, colors, etc.

Here's their new website: carbon mountain bike-mountain bike,mountains bikes,carbon mountain bike,carbon mtb bike,mtb bike,carbon bike Light-Bicycle

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Webike - Ha! Wouldn't that be nice to have both Levos and Levo SLs. Nope, the Levos have been returned to stock form for posting on Craigslist before our new credit card bill comes due!

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
@losgatosgtr - We've had LB build custom wheels for us for several years in 26, 27.5, and 29er sizes with i30-i65 carbon rims, DT Swiss 350 or Bigwheel hubs, DT or Sapim spokes. They've all come in at or below the listed weights, have been true, and have held up well. The 650b wheels pictured above on the SLs have lived thru several bikes without any issues or truing.

You can spec the rim, hub, spokes, nipples, freehub, ratchet, colors, etc.

Here's their new website: carbon mountain bike-mountain bike,mountains bikes,carbon mountain bike,carbon mtb bike,mtb bike,carbon bike Light-Bicycle
Thank you for the detailed information. I have been looking at their 30mm wheels for a few weeks now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles