Levo road bike

Stu-k

Apr 16, 2018
Australia
So it looks like my MTB days maybe over due to my back giving out(DDD) Thinking about kiting out my 18 Levo for road use as it will be smoother than a ridge road bike.
Does anyone know of a road tyre that will fit? Anyone else done same? Tips?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
So it looks like my MTB days maybe over due to my back giving out(DDD) Thinking about kiting out my 18 Levo for road use as it will be smoother than a ridge road bike.
Does anyone know of a road tyre that will fit? Anyone else done same? Tips?
My advice would be to sell it and get a Turbo Vado. The Levo doesn’t make for the best experience on the road with it’s speed governed to 25kph or 20mph in North America. On long flat sections is frustrating when the limit kicks in, with lighter narrower tires you’ll hit the limit even quicker.
A Turbo Vado with a decent suspension post will be better for your back when seated than the Levo because it will limit the range of motion of your back. The lighter frame, more efficient tires and different motor tune will double the range that a Levo has with a higher top speed.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
detail.jpg
Super Moto-X

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
Not specific to a Levo, but look into a set of Mavic Crossmax 29'r wheels (ETRTO size 29": 622x25TSS) which can be had really inexpensively. For tires, I'm running Schwalbe ENERGIZER PLUS HS 492 50-622 (28 x 2.00). This is roughly equivalent to a 2.8" tire on a 27.5 rim in diameter, so if that fits your bike, you are good. You will also need to either move your cassette over or get a new one if you want to swap back and forth. You can also swap over your discs or get new ones in the same size.

Last year I ran the super moto X tires in a 2.8" and that works too, but it's a lot lower max pressure so more rolling resistance. It's a great cheap solution though if you don't want to spend the money for a whole new wheel set.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Like OP, my shoulders and back are not coping with my return to mtb'ing so I'm going to try road cycling. Have just fitted Schwalbe Big Apple Plus 50-622 (28 x 2.00").

I agree with post #3 above, Super Moto-X (has better Off-road grip, puncture protection, durability), but they're not yet available in 29".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles