Levo - range extender or upgrade to 700 WH battery?

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I think the 2019 is a big change and therfore this is the price of progress and relatively early adoption - twas ever thus.

The word is the 2020 Levos will be much the same as '19 but 700wh batteries will be std lower down the range...but £+

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
I brought my Levo back in April with a 500wh battery. I have since brought a 700wh battery from the same shop and they gave me a 10% discount on it. I dont plan to sell my 500wh battery buy rotate them from time to time depending on where I'm going. In the summer I'm planing on doing some 75km rides in the mountains around Wanaka NZ so will be carrying the spare battery for sure. Cant see the point in selling the smaller battery as the return in small compared to the value of having a spare 500wh in your backpack. ?
20190403_104934-EFFECTS.jpg

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I brought my Levo back in April with a 500wh battery. I have since brought a 700wh battery from the same shop and they gave me a 10% discount on it. I dont plan to sell my 500wh battery buy rotate them from time to time depending on where I'm going. In the summer I'm planing on doing some 75km rides in the mountains around Wanaka NZ so will be carrying the spare battery for sure. Cant see the point in selling the smaller battery as the return in small compared to the value of having a spare 500wh in your backpack. ? View attachment 14157

Love that picture ?

BikeChimp

Feb 24, 2019
Sheffield, UK
I'm also thinking about increased range options etc. I've got to ask though why are we getting shafted with Lithium battery costs from Specialized? Rutlands is showing £1100 for the 700W/Hr unit and the 500W unit is about £700-800 new! Bosch Batteries are £600 for 500W unit

The current market cost per 1000W of lithium battery for cars is $176. So why are we being charged (pun intended) so much for these batteries? That is a MASSIVE mark up. I do appreciated there is a small amount of voltage regulator electronics in the bike packs along with the lithium cells but it doesn't cost this much.

A Behind the Scenes Take on Lithium-ion Battery Prices | BloombergNEF

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I'm also thinking about increased range options etc. I've got to ask though why are we getting shafted with Lithium battery costs from Specialized? Rutlands is showing £1100 for the 700W/Hr unit and the 500W unit is about £700-800 new! Bosch Batteries are £600 for 500W unit

The current market cost per 1000W of lithium battery for cars is $176. So why are we being charged (pun intended) so much for these batteries? That is a MASSIVE mark up. I do appreciated there is a small amount of voltage regulator electronics in the bike packs along with the lithium cells but it doesn't cost this much.

A Behind the Scenes Take on Lithium-ion Battery Prices | BloombergNEF

Maybe four main reasons:

1) Specialized.

2) E-bike

3) Early adoption

4) Small scale

Like anything boat related - add 'marine' and add 50%. Or Apple, add an i and add 50% etc.

They charge it because they can!

Really so little of the cost of a bike and parts is the material - it's R&D, nice offices, share holders, shipping, distribution, finance and a healthy markup all the way down the line with everyone taking a cut.

But they are damn good bikes.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The bikes ‘brain’ is in Specialized’s batteries so that will add to the cost per unit compared to other brands.

Bike Scene are selling brand new take off 500wh packs for £550 if it is any use to anyone. Apparently everyone ‘needs’ the 700wh?

BikeChimp

Feb 24, 2019
Sheffield, UK
What’s the cheapest place to buy a new 700Wh? At the beginning of the year Rutlands wanted £900. Now its £1,100.

I’m tempted to rebuild the battery myself since I can buy 1000W of cells for $170! I hate being ripped off.

It’s a good bike, I love it but re the battery and actual cost of lithium cells I feel like I’ve just been bent over!

mtbnorth

Apr 30, 2018
MI
Here's a tip: If you want a quick, easy and inexpensive method to increase range get the Praxis Carbon Cranks direct from their website. I put them on all my Levo's (stock is 170) used the 165mm, and also on my Kenevo. Previous to this on my super tough rides, several thousand feet of climbing and balls out running a combo of 50% power to 100% power assist I'd get about 3 miles per blip on the battery, now with the new cranks, same ride, same ambient temps around 65 degrees F, I get about 3.8 miles per blip. On easier singletrack rides with around 500 feet of climbing that number is upwards of 4 miles, max I've got is 4.4 miles per blip. Combining that with the Trail Watts system you can significantly increase your range. I am thinking of getting the Traiil watt's system, seems very well engineered, but until then on super long rides I carry a spare 504W Specialized battery in a EVOC FR Trail Eride backpack, I made some easy mods to the battery pouch with 2 inch wide velcro to address the extra length of the Specialized battery and have went on many rides with a spare battery, it adds 6.5 lbs and the backpack has a built in back protector and does not negatively affect the ride quality or handling. What Ilike about the backpack option is I can still carry my bear spray in my water bottle holder where I can access it in seconds if necessary,
20190524_150124.jpg

BikeChimp

Feb 24, 2019
Sheffield, UK
I'm told the 500wh battery is same at 700Wh unit externally. They just use different cells.

Does anyone on here have experience of the Trail Watt system? That looks like just what I'm after.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
So I went for it, fingers crossed it is all above board. including delivery and currency change £832.
Battery just delivered and fitted. I must ad it it took longer than I thought it would and I was slightly concerned that the fact it’s a 700wh battery may have issues with international shipping. Anyway it’s installed and charging. Mission control should it has having 10% charge and 1 charge cycle, battery health was healthy. Now to see how the range goes.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Battery just delivered and fitted. I must ad it it took longer than I thought it would and I was slightly concerned that the fact it’s a 700wh battery may have issues with international shipping. Anyway it’s installed and charging. Mission control should it has having 10% charge and 1 charge cycle, battery health was healthy. Now to see how the range goes.

Be nice to see the range in the individual modes obviously there are variations but be a good enough guide. And to what level assistance you had in each mode ... personally id have eco really low say 15% for more canal path leisure rides with the family for that sunday cruise

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
650 x 70 x 50. Measurements are generous given there are the raised "feet" at the end of the battery and the sides are not square. but it's near as.

Just mocked it up (as I don't have one) and that is mahoosive and a right PITA to lug around. Must be twice the length of the typical Shimano battery...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Here's a tip: If you want a quick, easy and inexpensive method to increase range get the Praxis Carbon Cranks direct from their website. I put them on all my Levo's (stock is 170) used the 165mm, and also on my Kenevo. Previous to this on my super tough rides, several thousand feet of climbing and balls out running a combo of 50% power to 100% power assist I'd get about 3 miles per blip on the battery, now with the new cranks, same ride, same ambient temps around 65 degrees F, I get about 3.8 miles per blip. On easier singletrack rides with around 500 feet of climbing that number is upwards of 4 miles, max I've got is 4.4 miles per blip. Combining that with the Trail Watts system you can significantly increase your range. I am thinking of getting the Traiil watt's system, seems very well engineered, but until then on super long rides I carry a spare 504W Specialized battery in a EVOC FR Trail Eride backpack, I made some easy mods to the battery pouch with 2 inch wide velcro to address the extra length of the Specialized battery and have went on many rides with a spare battery, it adds 6.5 lbs and the backpack has a built in back protector and does not negatively affect the ride quality or handling. What Ilike about the backpack option is I can still carry my bear spray in my water bottle holder where I can access it in seconds if necessary, View attachment 14196

what is it about the cranks that you credit for the 25% extra range?

(haha bear spray, that's not a problem in Surrey!).

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
what is it about the cranks that you credit for the 25% extra range?

(haha bear spray, that's not a problem in Surrey!).
Nice problem to have though. I always get a bit excited when a deer or something jumps out in front of me....might be a little different with a bear though haha

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
I go out for 30mile+ rides regularly. I use my battery to accelerate to speed on the flat, then turn the assistance off- using it again when I am in need of it on a big climb or similar. I have been out for a couple of 45 mile rides using this method. On both, I got home with around 50% battery left.
Remember, even if you have it on turbo or trail, it only provides as much assistance as it needs to, so it could be only giving you the equivalent of Eco if you’re not applying the pressure through the pedals.
So whereas I understand the desire to not poodle around in eco, for the mileage you want to be covering, you could get the range out of a 500Wh battery with a bit of careful battery management by turning assistance off when not needed Flat/downhill and not particularly challenging climbs), and using your gears more; and save yourself some dosh....

All the above said, when I cane it on turbo all the way, I get about 20 miles....

ohm13

Jun 10, 2018
Seattle
Here's a tip: If you want a quick, easy and inexpensive method to increase range get the Praxis Carbon Cranks direct from their website. I put them on all my Levo's (stock is 170) used the 165mm, and also on my Kenevo. Previous to this on my super tough rides, several thousand feet of climbing and balls out running a combo of 50% power to 100% power assist I'd get about 3 miles per blip on the battery, now with the new cranks, same ride, same ambient temps around 65 degrees F, I get about 3.8 miles per blip. On easier singletrack rides with around 500 feet of climbing that number is upwards of 4 miles, max I've got is 4.4 miles per blip. Combining that with the Trail Watts system you can significantly increase your range. I am thinking of getting the Traiil watt's system, seems very well engineered, but until then on super long rides I carry a spare 504W Specialized battery in a EVOC FR Trail Eride backpack, I made some easy mods to the battery pouch with 2 inch wide velcro to address the extra length of the Specialized battery and have went on many rides with a spare battery, it adds 6.5 lbs and the backpack has a built in back protector and does not negatively affect the ride quality or handling. What Ilike about the backpack option is I can still carry my bear spray in my water bottle holder where I can access it in seconds if necessary, View attachment 14196
do tell how these cranks extend battery life???? cause they are lighter?

Tim Skafidas

Oct 1, 2019
Crested Butte Colorado
So is it because of a lighter crank? Shorter arm? Just not sure how a minor adjustment would make such a marked change?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles