levo know problems rant ....

Bryan Wells

Jul 31, 2019
Washington
mine is a 2019 expert 700wh batt. I run at 70% . power max and stay in larger gears to avoid extra strain. I feel like the motors are becoming a wear item on the scale of replacement tires...

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I wanted to replay to all those saying things like "Spesh will sort this out and support you":
Yes, until your bike is exactly one year old. After that their only explicit obligation is to sell you repair parts.

How much do you think these parts cost? Cable, Motor, Battery?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I wanted to replay to all those saying things like "Spesh will sort this out and support you":
Yes, until your bike is exactly one year old. After that their only explicit obligation is to sell you repair parts.

Except that:

"All model year 2016 to 2018 (presume that includes 2019 & 2020 models?) custom Brose motors are covered by a two-year / 15,000-kilometer warranty (whichever is reached first). Faults due to manufacturer defects during this period are covered under this warranty"

Specialized.com

How much do you think these parts cost? Cable, Motor, Battery?
Probably around USD$1100-1200 each for motor and similar for a battery. Not bad when you consider your motor & battery are likely to last well beyond the warranty period. Compare that to any other form of recreational vehicle.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
my 2018 motor died around 1200km, battery also died same time, both covered under warranty. Sold the bike..currently using a 2019 levo..almost 600km. flawless so far..but it seems to have a issue with heat retention...it cant take full on turbo blasts of more than 20-30min intense climbing...output drops quite abit till i rest and let it cool down

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
it cant take full on turbo blasts of more than 20-30min intense climbing...output drops quite abit till i rest and let it cool down
Sounds like a lot of impressive motor abuse & that's really how it's meant to be. Thermal rollback with the slightly less favourable thermal qualities of magnesium vs aluminium vs ?

Do you know what temperature the motor is when rollback starts? Maybe 90°C ?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Sounds like a lot of impressive motor abuse & that's really how it's meant to be. Thermal rollback with the slightly less favourable thermal qualities of magnesium vs aluminium vs ?

Do you know what temperature the motor is when rollback starts? Maybe 90°C ?

yes. thats my suspicion also..cos i could do the same trails on the 18 without the drop in power.

I will monitor with the spez app motor temp next ride.

Makes me wonder...this could be the reason spez left the rear of the 19 open to the elements, it was meant as a heat exhaust...but ended up being a mud collector. Spez rolls out fixes to close the gap....and ends up defeating the original purpose of venting heat

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thats why they just used moto foam. It still breathes but stops dust and mud filling up the motor covers.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Sigh.
2018 Sworks, battery and motor failed at 1200km - warranty covered and sold
2019 Expert, motor failed at 500km. Happened today, no signs at all..happily powering on a uphill,..then suddenly it sounds like a electric chainsaw on turbo

sending in for warranty tomorrow. Sounds like a belt has kaput

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles