Levo Gen 2 Levo Firmware Update

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you're really sad and lonely and have a look at the code in Mission Control, you'll see that the facility is there to do it :unsure: ;)o_O

I think they're presently testing it.

The problem with any over the air update is the risk of bricking the device if something goes wrong, so they have to be 100% sure that this is completely fool proof.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
At the moment I don’t think I need OTA updates especially looking at the added functionality on offer.

I’ll definitely be wanting to get OTA updates when added capabilities are available.

EU s-pedelecs will hopefully proliferate.

In which case Performance upgrades via OTA certification of type, homologation and registration is possible although manufacturers may not want to present vectors of cyber vulnerability.

An example - Canadian shop Ingenext having just released their reverse engineered Boost 50 offering enhanced Tesla performance upgrades at discounted prices.

It will be interesting to see what happens with that. My guess is Tesla might not be quite as magnanimous and kind like they were when they open-sourced many of their patents.

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
The word on the street is Mission Control will gain new features to smart control the bike (such as dynamic tuning dependent on route/rider stress etc) - these aren't OTA for the bike but allow you to control it in different ways.

The TCU is already fairly open for customisation via Bluetooth, with the correct certificates, so OTA updates would mostly be TCU bug fixes or motor control (if a problem is found to be motor related which can be mitigated through the TCU - similar approach to what Apple do with their battery issues through software management).

There was talk of a Nissan GTR approach to speed limiting - i.e. the GPS in Mission Control detects you are on a closed private area and removes the speed limiter; but I'm skeptical that will actually go in to production.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
If your bike is working fine then why would you want to update it? Firmware updates can have a give and take effect. If you are satisfied then don't mess with it. For example, the first Levos had crazy power and torque. Firmware updates neutered those bikes. I didn't mind as much since battery life is everything to me but still it is something to think about. Cheers

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
For example, the first Levos had crazy power and torque. Firmware updates neutered those bikes.

In case you were still struggling with an issue here @Utah Rider - some riders did experience issues with reduced power when they had motors replaced during service. In every case retailers had forgotten to update the bike firmware after the motor replacement, once the bike was fully updated the fun-factor always returned - see Power smashed through the roof - EMTB Forums

Why? Standard Brose firmware supplied on service motors limited the current demand to the battery in order to preserve range - whereas we've always wanted our riders to be able to use the maximum available torque/power if they chose, with the capability to dial in tuning using Mission Control/support modes. Hence Specialized motor firmware uses our own custom-tune and needs to be updated at a retailer.

Incidentally, we won't provide motor firmware (certainly in the foreseeable future) over the air for a variety of reasons - but TCU firmware will be updateable for most bikes, and that typically improves things like fault detection, bluetooth connectivity, component management etc.

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
In case you were still struggling with an issue here @Utah Rider - some riders did experience issues with reduced power when they had motors replaced during service. In every case retailers had forgotten to update the bike firmware after the motor replacement, once the bike was fully updated the fun-factor always returned - see Power smashed through the roof - EMTB Forums

Why? Standard Brose firmware supplied on service motors limited the current demand to the battery in order to preserve range - whereas we've always wanted our riders to be able to use the maximum available torque/power if they chose, with the capability to dial in tuning using Mission Control/support modes. Hence Specialized motor firmware uses our own custom-tune and needs to be updated at a retailer.

Incidentally, we won't provide motor firmware (certainly in the foreseeable future) over the air for a variety of reasons - but TCU firmware will be updateable for most bikes, and that typically improves things like fault detection, bluetooth connectivity, component management etc.
Dear Specialized rider care,
I love it that you are on this forum and sometimes post these extremely helpful comments.
Thank you!

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
we've always wanted our riders to be able to use the maximum available torque/power if they chose
That sentence speaks volumes. I always thought that would be the case.

It'll be really interesting to see what new designs will result with less stringent future speed & power limitations. If I try to think what will follow, I imagine the proliferation of dedicated electro commuter infrastructure & the diversification of off-road electro sport. The 45 km/h s-pedelec standard has been neglected both as efficient transport but also a logical extension that on private or remote land, there's no reason for the 25 km/h limit.

A 45 km/h / 28 mph Levo SL would go off the Richter.
Also no OTA updates makes sense, eliminating the potential of lots of people either bricking or hacking their bikes.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I want to point out that in my case, the largest Specialized retailer in California charged me US$50 (and 7 days of the bike in their possession) for a recommended firmware update.

An OTA update would have been very welcome in this case.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Specialized said it will never let motors to be updated OTA by users, its too risky for such expensive component to go something wrong and to be honest I understand them. These bikes are not sold in milions like smartphones and software as such is not that deeply tested to avoid every bad scenario. However charging that amount for just an update and being so long without the bike is unacceptable for the brand. I would defenetely avoid this shop in future.

Last edited:

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
I want to point out that in my case, the largest Specialized retailer in California charged me US$50 (and 7 days of the bike in their possession) for a recommended firmware update.

@Specialized Rider Care Are you allowed to weigh in on if there are situations in which Specialized expects firmware updates to be considered warranty items?

I understand that shops are doing work when they apply an update, same as if they swapped a motor, and should be compensated, but I would expect this compensation to come from Specialized, not the bike owner.

Does specialized have a policy here to determine when a firmware update is covered by warranty and when it is not?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
@Specialized Rider Care Does specialized have a policy here to determine when a firmware update is covered by warranty and when it is not?

Hi @speedkills - good question & hard to answer 100% with a single blanket answer, however I'm sure most would appreciate there is a difference between a rider visiting their retailer with a fault vs a rider wanting the latest feature release.

If a fault/bug occurs within warranty and is resolved with a firmware update, we wouldn't expect any cost to be borne by the rider - it's between us and your retailer to ensure you're looked after. Local warranty policy is here in case you're wondering.

For transparency we don't charge our retailers for firmware and the actual component-update itself usually takes around 5 mins - however, on balance we support our stores covering their time for non-warranty cases. They rarely "just plug it in", usually there's admin/diagnostics to cover and good stores wouldn't take your bike in without providing a basic overall health check/tune-up.

We have started to provide incremental updates via Mission Control with this in mind - please see Mission Control app now allows you to update your bike - EMTB Forums for more info.

Last edited:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020

Sounds like they ripped you off!

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Forgive the noob question: I know I need an update (my motor is one major revision back).
How do I do it w/o OTA? Do I just go to my LBS? Thanks.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My Turbo Levo is running ok is it advised to get the update :unsure:
Lots of opinions on this one! Mine is this: if you are satisfied with your motor's performance, leave it alone. Updates can break something that used to work well enough (walk mode!).

The exception is motivation such as 'you'll get another year or two of warranty coverage if you update'. Many people here have said that's not the case with the Turbo Levo motor excitement, so I'm happy with my 'obsolete' firmware.

The best case scenario is riding a similar bike that has the update. If you like it better, do the update. If you don't, don't.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
You shouldn't skip update released in July:

What firmware improvements have been made to the 2.1 motor?
Recently we identified an issue with 2.1 motor firmware that has contributed to reduced belt-life. Based on specific riding styles & terrains, some riders have experienced ultra-short periods where torque was significantly higher than component tolerance levels – accelerating belt failure. To address this we’ve released optimized motor firmware that removes these “spikes” without affecting bike performance.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I did update it, my advice would be: If you do not need walk assist to clear very technical bits go ahead, otherwise think twice as pulling that heavy bike uphill is no fun at all!
I should have skipped the update...:cry:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I've got a 2019 Levo and deliberately have not had any software updates since it owners realised the the updates knocked out walk mode.

Not had any problems with the bike in year I've had it and don't want to lose the walk mode as I use it more than I thought I would.

My understanding is that the firmware does not have to be updated for the 4 year warranty.

If future updates bring the walk mode back to how mine is now, I'd definitely update the firmware, but not until then.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
So the update gets rid of walk assist
No. The update greatly reduces the power of walk assist and increases the time before it engages. However I still think that's better than ruining your belt and being without a bike :)

Specialized is aware. The claimed they had to do this for regulatory reasons. They are working on improvements.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I thought you have to have the update so you get your 4 year warranty

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles