Levo cuts out at 17mph (27kph)

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
I recently have been paying attention to my Levo speed while peddling and noticed the electric assist cuts out around 16.5-17mpg (~26-27kph); it is a 2018 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp. My tire diameter is set to 2255, and even tweaked the diameter using the Mission Control app to set the tires smaller thinking it will fake the Levo into increasing the max speed of the assist, but I didn't notice any significant change.

I called the Specialized HQ in California and they said the Levos are tuned according to rules set by each country, which I already knew. She said the only suggestion was to contact the dealer. I know here in the states (USA) the cut off is 20mph for a class 1; the Levo of course is a class 1.

So I contacted the dealer I bought my bike from (I got it on Jan 20th this year) and the top most knowledgable guy there said they purposely cut out the speed before the max required speed. I told him cutting out at 3mph before the legal cut off seems like a pretty big gap. His response was that to try and peddle faster than 17mph, say 19mph, let up a little and try to peddle again. If the assist kicks in then things seem normal. I tried that and I don't get any extra assist. So it seems 16.5-17mph is my max cut off and that kind of disappoints me.

I want to point out I am not whining about it, the bike is a blast and I love this thing, but it bothers me a bit if the cut off is 20pmh I should at least get close to that before it really cuts out. Has anyone come across the this same thing? Any thoughts for the Levo owners out there? I plan to bring my bike in to have the bike shop look at it, but would be interested to get feedback to share with them before I do.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I recently have been paying attention to my Levo speed while peddling and noticed the electric assist cuts out around 16.5-17mpg (~26-27kph); it is a 2018 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp. My tire diameter is set to 2255, and even tweaked the diameter using the Mission Control app to set the tires smaller thinking it will fake the Levo into increasing the max speed of the assist, but I didn't notice any significant change.

I called the Specialized HQ in California and they said the Levos are tuned according to rules set by each country, which I already knew. She said the only suggestion was to contact the dealer. I know here in the states (USA) the cut off is 20mph for a class 1; the Levo of course is a class 1.

So I contacted the dealer I bought my bike from (I got it on Jan 20th this year) and the top most knowledgable guy there said they purposely cut out the speed before the max required speed. I told him cutting out at 3mph before the legal cut off seems like a pretty big gap. His response was that to try and peddle faster than 17mph, say 19mph, let up a little and try to peddle again. If the assist kicks in then things seem normal. I tried that and I don't get any extra assist. So it seems 16.5-17mph is my max cut off and that kind of disappoints me.

I want to point out I am not whining about it, the bike is a blast and I love this thing, but it bothers me a bit if the cut off is 20pmh I should at least get close to that before it really cuts out. Has anyone come across the this same thing? Any thoughts for the Levo owners out there? I plan to bring my bike in to have the bike shop look at it, but would be interested to get feedback to share with them before I do.
Strange. Definitely running US firmware?

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs

Do a google search and you'll find a youtube video on how to get rid of the cut out. Best mod so far, the cutting out was annoying.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've felt assist at an indicated 16+mph, but it was on very rough terrain and the speed was fluctuating a bit.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@mtbdreamin - your dealer does not seem to be very well informed.

The 2018 Levo Comp Carbon bikes mrs levity and I purchased December 2017 here in the U.S. also cut out around 16mph as delivered. This was said to be due to the early U.S. bikes shipping with firmware which was set to limit the assisted top speed to meet Euro regulations . Our dealer installed the U.S. firmware update immediately, and the bikes now provide assist to 20mph. They're worked fine now for 4 months (speeds, distance, etc. confirmed with Garmin GPS).

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

The 2018 Levo Comp Carbon bikes mrs levity and I purchased December 2017 here in the U.S. also cut out around 16mph as delivered. This was said to be due to the early U.S. bikes shipping with firmware which was set to limit the assisted top speed to meet Euro regulations . Our dealer installed the U.S. firmware update immediately, and the bikes now provide assist to 20mph. They're worked fine now for 4 months (speeds, distance, etc. conrimed with Garmin GPS).
I thought that I’d read in a few places that lots of US bikes had EU firmware installed. Makes sense that @mtbdreamin will have one of these. But what is pretty poor is that both Specilialized HQ AND the dealer didn’t offer this suggestion.

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
I thought that I’d read in a few places that lots of US bikes had EU firmware installed. Makes sense that @mtbdreamin will have one of these. But what is pretty poor is that both Specilialized HQ AND the dealer didn’t offer this suggestion.
I am going to bring it into the dealer tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it is a 2 hour drive, about 110 miles, only because that was one of the few dealers in Florida that sold Specialized eBikes. No worries, I want to get at the bottom of this. I rode the eMTB again today for 12 miles and can confirm that I can't get any faster than 17 mph before it cuts out. I will follow up and update this thread what the dealer tells me for the benefit of others.

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
Do a google search and you'll find a youtube video on how to get rid of the cut out. Best mod so far, the cutting out was annoying.
I know what you are referring. lol For now I don't want to do any jail breaking, but I may be tempted. ;-)

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US

The 2018 Levo Comp Carbon bikes mrs levity and I purchased December 2017 here in the U.S. also cut out around 16mph as delivered. This was said to be due to the early U.S. bikes shipping with firmware which was set to limit the assisted top speed to meet Euro regulations . Our dealer installed the U.S. firmware update immediately, and the bikes now provide assist to 20mph. They're worked fine now for 4 months (speeds, distance, etc. conrimed with Garmin GPS).

@levity this makes total sense. I just wrote a long email to the bike dealer I bought from. They are actually a big shop and have a good reputation so I know they will try to get at the bottom of this. I will post a follow up and let everyone who reads this thread know for the benefits of others. Thanks for the tip.

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
So frustrating, can’t stand when a business elects to baffle you with bull#%\ instead of just telling you they don’t know and let us get back with you after we do some research. Thank goodness for forums like this to get real info about issues such as this. I will be checking this for sure when my bike finally arrives. Good work guys!

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
I knew there was a problem like this. I took a kenevo out for a demo and it cut out around 16mph The dealer had no idea. I don't mind the cut out but it should just cut the motor off, does your allow you to pedal and go faster? mine the motor would slow me down, i would think the assist would just kick off over the limit and when you drop below it should kick back on.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My levo tapers the assist of gently so you almost dont know its gone, it does not restrict unassisted peddling at all. Did you see the mission control app settings? It can make a big difference as to how they are set

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My levo tapers the assist of gently so you almost dont know its gone, it does not restrict unassisted peddling at all. Did you see the mission control app settings? It can make a big difference as to how they are set
Mine too. The pedal assist should feel very natural when the level of assistance stops.

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
I am following up with my 17mph (27kph) investigation by the dealer. First of all the dealer was great. Their top eMTB mechanic flashed a new firmware, then tested and thought it seemed normal. Then I took it out and still saw the same issue. So they actually took a Cateye speedometer off the shelf and hooked it up to my bike, then I let them use my iPhone with the Mission Control app and the mechanic tested it. He confirmed between the two they only differed by 1/10 mph. His conclusion was that it cut out maybe around 18mph, but I tested it again and I feel the peddle assist stops at 17mph max. A couple of the main bike shop guys talked to me and said they got my email and showed a Specialized rep. So they are going to forward the email to Specialized. I will see how it goes from there. I guess I don't expect anything though it would be nice if a Specialized rep called me. I don't want to sound like a winer, but if a Specialized rep says the Turbo Levo is a class 1, and in the US a class 1 gives assist up to 20mph, then I think I should get that. See these links What Are Electric Bike Classes and Why Do They Matter? and Class 1 Electric Mountain Bikes, Why They're Allowed More Places. I would be interested to know if anyone in the US with a Turbo Levo gets the same cut out as I do or do they get assist all the way up to 20mph before it cuts out like advertised?

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
So went around the block on a levo again. with iPhone app open it cut out at around 17mph. Now it does the same thing the kenevo was doing. if i pedal with assist on and go above 17mph it would actually feel like it was braking to slow me down. when you get to the cutoff point does it feel like slowing you down when you try to pedal harder?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
So went around the block on a levo again. with iPhone app open it cut out at around 17mph. Now it does the same thing the kenevo was doing. if i pedal with assist on and go above 17mph it would actually feel like it was braking to slow me down. when you get to the cutoff point does it feel like slowing you down when you try to pedal harder?
Anytime you cut power on an E-bike it will feel like someone put on the brakes or deployed a parachute behind you. You're just accustomed to the level of power assist you've been using. You can convince yourself of this by dropping power from Turbo to Trail or from Trail to Eco. The Sprag clutch in the Brose motor gives almost no drag.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m in Australia and our cut off is supposed to be 25kph, but the assist on my 2018 Levo cuts out at 27kmh according to my mission control app. However my Garmin watch says i’m Doing 25kmh and the mission control app tells me 27kmh.
Have changed the wheel dia to 2000mm and to 2400mm but the speed on the mission control is always out by 2kmh compared to my Garmin.

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
I forgot to say when I was at the dealer they tweaked my wheel diameter in the Mission Control app. It was 2255, but the mechanic measured the wheel diameter and then tweaked the diameter in the app to 2260. I believe changing the diameter of the wheel in the app only helps calculate the speed. If you make the diameter larger it should adjust your speed faster. Be sure to measure your wheel diameter in mm and then adjust.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Smaller wheel setting in the app = higher cut off point set your wheel size to 2000 which is the lowest you can go and then ride and see where your cutoff point is. Measure your speed by the app and also by an independant device

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
Smaller wheel setting in the app = higher cut off point set your wheel size to 2000 which is the lowest you can go and then ride and see where your cutoff point is. Measure your speed by the app and also by an independant device
I see the Turbo Levo has a magnet on the rear that works to measure speed, but doesn't the wheel diameter setting in the Mission Control app determine how it calculates the speed? If not, where are the settings to determine the speed?

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I see the Turbo Levo has a magnet on the rear that works to measure speed, but doesn't the wheel diameter setting in the Mission Control app determine how it calculates the speed? If not, where are the settings to determine the speed?

I believe you are correct. The work around allows the app to increase the wheel size beyond the original options in the app.

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
I believe you are correct. The work around allows the app to increase the wheel size beyond the original options in the app.
I dropped the diameter of the wheel in the Tune settings of the Mission Control app from 2260 to 2000. Then I peddle up to 17mph and it seems to pull back at that point, so it didn't make a difference. My theory is that the algorithm to cut back is part based on speed. So adjusting the wheel diameter has no net effect. I am tempted to use the Lightblue app to tweak the output. ;-) However, I don't want to do anything just yet and am going to try and see of the Specialized rep comes back with anything working with my dealer.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
If you look at the lightblue app or the zworks or the german instruction on how to alter the wheelsize via a bluetooth havk they all reduce the wheels size in fact the bluetooth hack even gives you a table to wheel size vs cutoff speed. There is an app called eplus to remove the speed restriction in that app it just sets the wheel size to about 720 at that size the cutoff point is about 45kph maybe the specialized allowed parameters are not enough to make difference

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
My US spec Meta Power assist cuts off at 18 mph. Verified speed with phone gps. Seems odd that Shimano and Brose have the same speed limit. At some point, I will follow up with Commencal.

Dominic

Jun 4, 2018
Concord, ca
I dropped the diameter of the wheel in the Tune settings of the Mission Control app from 2260 to 2000. Then I peddle up to 17mph and it seems to pull back at that point, so it didn't make a difference. My theory is that the algorithm to cut back is part based on speed. So adjusting the wheel diameter has no net effect. I am tempted to use the Lightblue app to tweak the output. ;-) However, I don't want to do anything just yet and am going to try and see of the Specialized rep comes back with anything working with my dealer.
I did this mod. Only a few hundred miles since then but it makes a huge difference. It’s not that I need to go so fast all the time; I was just bumping into that TopSpeed too often where it was. By bumping it up I just feel like I rarely encounter that now. I am more careful though about how long I push the motor hard for

mtbdreamin

Founding Member
Feb 14, 2018
Florida US
Actually that is not the case. I tried several combinations and it did not effect the cut off. I believe that setting is only to determine the proper speed in the Mission Control app based on the diameter of the tire on the bike. This is similar to how all Cateye Speedometers work.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland

Remove the speed limit then if you can't live with it. ( the truth is out there )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles