Levo comp fork woes...

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I have a 2019 turbo Levo comp XL, love the bike just can’t get on with the forks, I’ve tried settings from the specialized website and got the sag right but is so hard and very little give, making my arms hurt on the trails. Is it worth trying putting a volume spacer in?
Or........ is it worth putting a decent set of forks in if so what ones and are they direct fit?
Thanks

nellyb

Sep 11, 2019
UK
I'm in the same boat, same bike... I picked up a new set of old stock Pike 2017 RCT3 from JE James yesterday for £404. They feel better out of the box but i'm going to fit a Debonair upgrade to them and put some TF Tuned seals in them before I fit them. I'll see if I can get them somewhere like before going full on with the latest forks. Was thinking coils, but for 400 quid I thought it's worth a try and stick with air for now.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I was thinking of going fox 36 if they fit without too much hassle, forks are a massive part of the ride (to me anyway) and I’m getting fed up with the standard rock shocks.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I have a 2019 turbo Levo comp XL, love the bike just can’t get on with the forks, I’ve tried settings from the specialized website and got the sag right but is so hard and very little give, making my arms hurt on the trails. Is it worth trying putting a volume spacer in?
Or........ is it worth putting a decent set of forks in if so what ones and are they direct fit?
Thanks

Try taking a volume spacer out.

simmo-mj99

Sep 7, 2019
West Sussex UK
Had the same fork for a year now no problems with the fork they come out factory with two volume spacers already fitted and had two spares with paper work when I picked up the bike,I took both spacers out and been very happy with the ride the only difference between the revelation and the pike is the damper so you could go and change the damper to a rc2.1 damper With high and low speed compression for about £350. As a lot of members have said on this forum it’s not a bad fork all depends how aggressive a rider you are and what type riding you are doing if it was me I would spend a bit of time setting it up. I saw you mentioned you got the sag right but is so firm with little give this might be a silly question but you have got the compression open.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Yes compression is open. I’ve been riding Mx and enduro bikes for years so normally had no problem setting forks up but these are a pain, didn’t know they had spacer in already tho.
Didn’t say also, I’m 16.4 stone if that’s makes a difference

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
This has been discussed before, Specialized went quite aggressive with their suspension setup (Heavier riders, big jumps) and fitted a couple of spacers and suggest a high pressure. What I did is remove all the spacer from the fork, set the initial pressure using the Rockshox app and also removed one spacers from the shock and adjusted to 30% sag. Mine is an expert but all seem to setup the same. Try it and I think you will like it

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It has taken me a while to get my Rev fork how I want it. Firstly, according to the Rockshox specs it should have 1 volume spacer fitted but mine had 2...presumably specced that way by Spesh. What I noticed going through various settings whilst removing first 1 then both volume spacers was that each spacer seemed to have a disproportionate effect on air pressure to achieve the same sag. I was left with the impression that each produced such a quick ramp up that there was no way a 25/30% sag would give a plush small bump feel. Go to 40% and its OK! With all spacers removed the ramp up is much more linear and 30% sag then works well. I am 77kg so the guys at 16 stone may find one spacer is required, but if the fork is set up like that I would suggest going higher on Sag than 25/30%...…...oh, and make sure rebound is fully fast when setting up.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Try taking a volume spacer out.
The Revelation on my ‘19 Comp had 2 tokens installed. Per Rockshox website the default is 1 and max is 4. I removed 1 and it seems a bit more compliant. I’ve been about 25 mm away from bottoming but I’m not catching big air or drops, at least not yet. Using the Specialized suspension calculator I’m at 20-25% sag depending on sitting or attack stance.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
You can get the charger damper upgrade kit for about £250 my lbs said they would fit it for about £40-£50 with a lower leg service but is an easy fit if your a competent home mechanic and they suggested extending the travel to 160mm for an extra £40 turns the revalation into something near a high end pike.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
You can get the charger damper upgrade kit for about £250 my lbs said they would fit it for about £40-£50 with a lower leg service but is an easy fit if your a competent home mechanic and they suggested extending the travel to 160mm for an extra £40 turns the revalation into something near a high end pike.
Use the rock shox trailhead app to find the upgrade kit for your forks by putting the number on the back of the fork crown into the app as there is a few different kits available.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I have the same bike and size. Initial setting with two tokens was way too hard with hardly any give, so they were both taken out and the pressure lowered. I'm 125kg and run the Revelations at 110psi - sag sits around 40%. Nice and plush, no bottoming - general trail and bike park riding.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I’ve taken out the two volume spacers in the standard forks. I’ve only had time to go out once since and it felt better, I’m hoping to get out at the weekend to test more.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The revelation sucks!
Life is short, go for the Kashima!

There is nothing wrong with the Revelation per se, it depends upon which one you've got. I have the Debonair air spring from new. I was not totally happy with the fork from the start and it fulfilled my expectations because I was used to a high end Pike fork. I was considering a charger damper to take it up to a Pike standard, but I left it for a while to see what I could do with the Revelation. Once I had spent some time experimenting with sag, rebound and compression damping I was still not totally happy.

I did only two more things.
I deflated the shock and started again following the instructions on the Rockshox website. I had been told that it is no longer enough to just pump it up! They were right!! :)
The second thing I did was to see how many tokens were in the air side leg. I removed the one that was in there because I wasn't getting anywhere near full travel and the fork felt harder than I wanted.

Those two actions in combo made a massive difference. I am now reconsidering spending the£200 + to fit the charger 2 damper.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks
If the fork is hard (ie ramping up too much) you need to remove spacer(s) not add them.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
:)
There is nothing wrong with the Revelation per se, it depends upon which one you've got. I have the Debonair air spring from new. I was not totally happy with the fork from the start and it fulfilled my expectations because I was used to a high end Pike fork. I was considering a charger damper to take it up to a Pike standard, but I left it for a while to see what I could do with the Revelation. Once I had spent some time experimenting with sag, rebound and compression damping I was still not totally happy.

I did only two more things.
I deflated the shock and started again following the instructions on the Rockshox website. I had been told that it is no longer enough to just pump it up! They were right!! :)
The second thing I did was to see how many tokens were in the air side leg. I removed the one that was in there because I wasn't getting anywhere near full travel and the fork felt harder than I wanted.

Those two actions in combo made a massive difference. I am now reconsidering spending the£200 + to fit the charger 2 damper.

Like I mentioned in my linked-to post above, I did all that before upgrading to the Charger 2.1 RC2. The upgrade takes it to another level, more than all the fine tuning combined.:) But it is expensive and maybe not worth it to everyone.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Make sure you follow the Rockshox manual and compress the forks numerous times during pumping them up.

If you dont do this correctly then the +\- air chambers will not be equalised correctly and the forks will be harsh.

bluemtrider

Oct 14, 2019
Oregon, USA
Like others, I found the Revelation to be harsh even after removing one of the Bottomless Tokens (spacers). In another thread it was mentioned that there were two known issues with the fork: 1. too much grease on the airspring side, 2. not enough oil on the damper side. I found both of these conditions when I did the 50 hour service; a thorough cleaning including the air transfer port on the inside of the stanchion and reassembly with appropriate amount of Rockshox Dynamic Seal Grease and oil made it ride great. It is the Debonair/Charger version and all thoughts of spending money on an upgrade are now in the past.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles