Levo Gen 2 Levo Coil shock issues

KirkRichards

Apr 20, 2020
Nottinghamshire
So the almost brand new Fox DHX2 rear coil shock snapped on me a few days ago. Hopefully it’s under warranty although when I too it back to the shop that fitted it he mentioned for the first time that after he had ordered mine, Fox issued advise not to fit these shocks to certain Levo bikes although apparently my bike wasn’t one of those bikes or my shock length or something vague. Anyway, presuming Fox do replace my shock I’m concerned about the same thing happening again. Has anyone got any advice regarding fitting coil shocks on Levos. Mines a 2020 Levo comp. I’m really keen to keep to coil as it transformed the bike.
AB6DAE16-B257-445E-B997-0542613E8C18.jpeg

nobbyq

Feb 17, 2019
jersey
common problem on all makes of coil on a levo , its the yoke/frame design stressing the shaft too much , either go back to air or run the risk of it happening , ive been lucky but not really a hard rider so maybe thats why , do u jump etc with it ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup plenty of threads on here covering the issue, cant remember the specific thread but if you do a search you will see that a few members have gone in to a lot of detail on the construction of various coil shocks and which ones are the best bet to put on a Levo

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Also, FWIW, Fox uses one of the smallest diameter shafts of pretty much everyone, only 9mm. So while the yoke may put a lot of load on the shock, I would also say they have the least robust design.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
It's been mainly the Cane Creek double barrel iL shock that have had such an issue. This is the first fox I've seen snapped.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Have recently fitted a DBAir on my SL and noticed that when I took the shock off and tried to move the yoke in an up and down direction it wouldnt move very easily! So I thought OK bearings must be seized, I'll have em out and replace but lo and behold when I took the yoke off the bearings run sweet as you like, put it back together and its binding again! Has anyone else had this, could be the reason for shock shafts breaking, I am taking it up with my LBS.

KirkRichards

Apr 20, 2020
Nottinghamshire
common problem on all makes of coil on a levo , its the yoke/frame design stressing the shaft too much , either go back to air or run the risk of it happening , ive been lucky but not really a hard rider so maybe thats why , do u jump etc with it ?
Don’t really jump anything massive on it. I AJ have a DH bike for bike parks etc. I only use it round trail centres, local woods and Peak District. I’ve read about some bearings that can be fitted to relieve some of the stress applied so might try that with a different coil. Spoke to PLUSH and they recommended the OHLINS coil as opposed to the DHX2. So think I’ll be selling the DHX2 when it’s replaced and doing that.

KirkRichards

Apr 20, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Was that a short spring or did you have a ton of preload wound on?
I just had the spring which the bike shop fitted. I presume it was the correct length. Although after looking at you comment and the picture again there does appear to be a lot of pre-load applied. I’m hoping this just worked it’s way down in between the shock snapping and the walk back to the van but going to check the spring length

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Don’t really jump anything massive on it. I AJ have a DH bike for bike parks etc. I only use it round trail centres, local woods and Peak District. I’ve read about some bearings that can be fitted to relieve some of the stress applied so might try that with a different coil. Spoke to PLUSH and they recommended the OHLINS coil as opposed to the DHX2. So think I’ll be selling the DHX2 when it’s replaced and doing that.

Ohlins collaborated with Spesh a few years back and made dedicated coil shocks for Stump Jumpers .

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
It's been mainly the Cane Creek double barrel iL shock that have had such an issue. This is the first fox I've seen snapped.
I recall seeing the old post warning that older DB Coil IL shocks did not have solid shafts.

My DB Coil IL’s are not Stumpjumper/Levo specific, so they have to be mounted upside down to clear the frame.

Since my IL’s are mounted upside down, I’m wondering whether I would even have this issue since the shaft end is at the upper shock bolt...and the stronger portion of the shock is now near the bottom shock mount where the shafts snap.

I also realized I was not torqueing the lower shock bolt to 23 nm...so I wonder if under-tightening could contribute more stress on the shaft.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles