Levo Gen 2 Levo 2019 Roval-Formula rear hub fix clip/tutorial

Miru

Oct 23, 2020
Romania
Hello everybody,

Just thought i would share the small tutorial clip i made about sleeving the inside of the rear Roval/Formula hub of my 2019 base model Levo.
Since one of the bearings needed replacement( was feeling rough) i went ahead and ordered 2 NTN new ones(since the XERO ones felt "cheap"). While searching for info as to what bearings i needed i came across a post from a user over here that was suggesting to put a small sleeve/tube(53mm wide, 17mm inner diameter and 21.5 mm outer diameter aluminium tube/sleeve) inside of the hub between the bearings as the the axial force applied to the bearings, while tightening the axle enough as to get rid of any play would put pressure on the inner races of the bearings pushing them towards the inside, leading to the shortening of their lifespan.
So i took matter into my own hands to do this fix for myself, "documenting" the process along with it.
Hope it's helpful for others!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do not see why it is needed. The non drive side adjuster and associated lock nut should remove any play without applying any preload on the bearings.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I dont mind being corrected, but its my understanding that any compression by the QR or Hex bolt is applied to the axle and not the bearings, any side loading on the bearings would destroy them in one ride!! I would imagine the more rapid wear is caused by a heavier payload on the bearings than with an analogue bike.

Miru

Oct 23, 2020
Romania
You are right but the problem is that the current design(without any sleeve between the bearings ) make you juggle a fine line between overtightening the nut-locknut which is pressing directly against the inner bearing race or having play in the bearings/wheel

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have never had that issue on my bike. I tighten the adjuster until I can just feel a little resistance on wheel rotation the back it off about a quarter turn.

Miru

Oct 23, 2020
Romania
Well in my case the bearings had to come out for replacement anyways so while i was at it i said i would just add the sleeve as a "reinforcement" to make sure, in any case, there is no way to add lateral preload on the bearings. It also cost me peanuts to have the sleeve made out of aluminium.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles