Levo 2019 motor noise

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Here's my bike which my dealer said was quite quiet. Please check the high cadence part at the end. What do you think?
And yes I'm wearing dress shoes riding in the rain on my way home.Sorry about video, one hand with phone, in the rain,
You’re doing alright. The S Works eplugs only add a few grams. Do you think the replacement motors will remain quiet or will they start squealing a month or several months later?

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
OK took my bike into the dealer and they were very nice. Took my bike to look at, but no promise of a new motor. I've taken their demo bike in the mean time so I did a comparison. Same place, pretty much identical rides. Same work clothes and shoes etc but a different colour helmet, so a very fair comparison I think.
What an incredible difference. Don't know what I'll do if they decide not to replace the motor. Check it out. I showed them my last video. Will also show them this one.

Last edited:

m1bjr

Oct 22, 2018
Plymouth, UK
My new motor is almost silent, everywhere. I can sustain a few hundred watts for half a minute myself, so its had a decent beating. A shame the major dealer in Saltash, Cornwall were so poor with the service. Hopefully they fitted the motor better than they serviced the bike!

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
OK took my bike into the dealer and they were very nice. Took my bike to look at, but no promise of a new motor. I've taken their demo bike in the mean time so I did a comparison. Same place, pretty much identical rides. Same work clothes and shoes etc but a different colour helmet, so a very fair comparison I think.
What an incredible difference. Don't know what I'll do if they decide not to replace the motor. Check it out. I showed them my last video. Will also show them this one.
They will replace your motor, if the dealer is hesitant just call Specialized directly or contact Specialized rider care here in the forum to get the help you need, your evidence is quite strong

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
They will replace your motor, if the dealer is hesitant just call Specialized directly or contact Specialized rider care here in the forum to get the help you need, your evidence is quite strong

Thanks for support. Problem is, in fairness to specialized nz, they won't see this video, they'll just ride it gently in a car park (bike shop initially tested mine in an enclosed, half full indoor garage) and they won't hear the issue. Anyway, that's me being negative, I'll wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
Thanks for support. Problem is, in fairness to specialized nz, they won't see this video, they'll just ride it gently in a car park (bike shop initially tested mine in an enclosed, half full indoor garage) and they won't hear the issue. Anyway, that's me being negative, I'll wait and see what happens.

I was told by Spec Rider Care that the faulty motor's were noisy all the time.... So I'm not sure a quick pedal will bring up the issue as mine starts after about 30 mins under load.

If the noise I'm experiencing is normal, I'm not sure what I'm going to do - can't sell the bike without warranty especially if the reason I'm selling it is due to me being unhappy with the motor. I'm embarrassed to ride it. With only 28 miles on the clock, money down the drain :cry:

robikinkela

Oct 11, 2018
Aosta IT
Good morning guys! Today I am a happy cyclist and I will explain why. After fifteen days of waiting they replaced the noisy motor of my bike and now I can finally ride on a perfect bike. The mechanic has also mounted the sponge and therefore I no longer fear the debris that could enter the engine compartment. I'm happy about how Specialized has arranged to fix the problems and I thank my dealer in Aosta (Lucchini cycles), Mr. Marco who assembled the pieces and specialized rider care who, here on the forum, helped me to resolve my doubts and problems. Today I did 45 km. and I came home with a smile on my face!:D:D:D

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Got my new motor installed last week and have given it a couple of good rides to test it climbing etc. Vast improvement, you can still hear it's there, but definitely more of a whirring the a whine, and the volume even in Turbo is ok.

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
Got my bike back today. I decided if mine was at least nearly as quiet as the demo bike I'd be happy. Another direct comparison. Shop demo bike, My repaired bike and my bike with faulty motor.
Great service and sales backup from both MEC (Mount Eden Cycles) and Specialized NZ.
Now had rear brake disk replaced and new motor.
VERY (yes shouting) happy chappy.

PS they lent me a demo bike while mine was away. Again, thanks.
Yes I spelt ridiculously wrong.

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Got my bike back today. I decided if mine was at least nearly as quiet as the demo bike I'd be happy. Another direct comparison. Shop demo bike, My repaired bike and my bike with faulty motor.
Great service and sales backup from both MEC (Mount Eden Cycles) and Specialized NZ.
Now had rear brake disk replaced and new motor.
VERY (yes shouting) happy chappy.

PS they lent me a demo bike while mine was away. Again, thanks.
Yes I spelt ridiculously wrong.
That's a good result, sounds like mine with it's new motor. Well done Specialized NZ also.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I’m brought mine into the shop after a long sustained climb with a friend on a 2017 yesterday. His comment was “man that’s loud” I was only on trail mode as well. It’s definitely not as bad as some of the videos on here but not nearly as quiet as the replacement ones. It was one of the first ones on the floor after they were released. Crossing my fingers because now that I hear it it’s bothering me. Worst case I’m only 40 miles from specialized in California

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I’m brought mine into the shop after a long sustained climb with a friend on a 2017 yesterday. His comment was “man that’s loud” I was only on trail mode as well. It’s definitely not as bad as some of the videos on here but not nearly as quiet as the replacement ones. It was one of the first ones on the floor after they were released. Crossing my fingers because now that I hear it it’s bothering me. Worst case I’m only 40 miles from specialized in California

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Had my bike in the shop since mid December but haven’t heard back from specialized. I ended up contacting specialized directly. I just sent them this video. This is just in trail mode and not the steepest incline. Anyone want to chime in that this seems abnormal?

Last edited:

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
Had my bike in the shop since mid December but haven’t heard back from specialized. I ended up contacting specialized directly. I just sent them this video. This is just in trail mode and not the steepest incline. Anyone want to chime in that this seems abnormal?

Hi!!
In my opinion, it doesn’t sound normal. I can identify the differences because the broken ones sound a bit like “having throat problems” (hoarse voice).
Mine is healthy. It also sounds loud (only at high cadence) but it doesn’t sound that rough or raspy.
I hope it helps!

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Hi!!
In my opinion, it doesn’t sound normal. I can identify the differences because the broken ones sound a bit like “having throat problems” (hoarse voice).
Mine is healthy. It also sounds loud (only at high cadence) but it doesn’t sound that rough or raspy.
I hope it helps!
Thanks for the input!

MattGLevo

Feb 21, 2019
Fresno Ca
My motor does not seem particularly loud, however I don't have much experience as this is my first eBike, and no other bikes to compare to. How can I tell if I have one of the Recalled Brose motors? Is there a serial number or something?

I have a 2019 Carbon Comp.

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
My motor does not seem particularly loud, however I don't have much experience as this is my first eBike, and no other bikes to compare to. How can I tell if I have one of the Recalled Brose motors? Is there a serial number or something?

I have a 2019 Carbon Comp.

Theres quite a few videos around on youtube albeit the sound is amplified from mic on camera.

Maxflint

Mar 1, 2019
Italy
Hi

Since yesterday I am owning a Levo Sworks 2019. But when I tried it in my garage I noticed emmeditately an electronic noice. Independently if it is eco or boost mode, with peddaling presure or without, there is always this electrical noice like a shimano?! It is not a tecnical noice but like the normal noice of the boost/turbo mode.

The dealer said that is normal because of carbon. But I can t believe, because my wifes levo comp 2019 is completely silence in eco & tour mode. In boost your hear the electric noise, but that is acceptable.

I tried another sworks before ordering, but there I did not noticed any noice in eco mode.

Please give feedback if someone confirms that carbon models are allways louder in eco mode than the halfpriced comp!

Thanks for your help

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
I had the first 2019 SW Levo in New Zealand, and picked it up in ~September 2018. I had replaced a 2017 Aluminum Levo Comp. Immediately I noticed a difference in noise. The new bike was louder with 2 distinct pitches to the noise. A deeper baseline noise with an intermittent higher pitch 'whine' that seemed to be more obvious at higher cadence. Without another 2019 to compare with, I just sucked it up as it had been explained that there was more noise transmission with the carbon frame + the Magnesium casing with the motor had less dampening. 2 months later, my wife's small S- works levo arrived, and wow, that was quiet! I'm a bigger guy (188cm, 95Kg) but I had to try her bike to see if it was my 'heft' causing the drag, but no, my size made no difference and my bike made the same noise for my lighter wife (65kg).

By that stage, the news about the motor noise recall was all around, so I got a new motor under warranty. Initially, I was happy (riding around the carpark at the LBS), but after my first ride on the trails, the same 'swarm of bees' noise was there, and I was embarrassed to ride past other clockwork bikes with any assistance on!

So, back to the LBS, and now I'm on my 3rd motor. This is just as quiet as my wife's now and I'm so happy... I can now sneak up on other riders without being self-conscious of the noise. It feels smoother too. I still have my aluminium Levo as a spare, and I think the noise is only slightly louder on the new 2019 carbon bike, but it should be insignificant. If yours makes a lot more noise, I'd suggest getting a motor swap...

They performed the foam insert recall / mod for the back of my motor casing, but the cover has 3 holes still. not sure what the 4-hole cover was supposed to do....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles