Levo 2019 motor noise

m1bjr

Oct 22, 2018
Plymouth, UK
I took mine from the shop knowing it was a little noisy. They noticed it on the PDI.
I have nothing to compare it with and I don't find it intrusive.
It's right between the two videos above actually - audible but not like the Bosch.
The deal was mine to walk away from - but they promised to swap it for a new drive once one came into the shop.
No problem for me, I got some great riding in some great weather here in UK.
As promised the motor arrived in a couple of weeks.
It's hardly a 'stopper', and the bike was in for a 6w check anyhow.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
Great service from Spesh UK today. Motor changed for a much quieter one (won’t get to fully test until tomorrow, but was much quieter on a quick ride near Spesh). They also fitted foam blanking for the motor case ‘hole’, and checked the motor cover fit where future Levi’s will have a 4-bolt cover - no gap on mine so not urgent to change it.

How’s that for service - all done within 1.5 days of reporting it!

Simon
It must be very embarrassing for Specialized that some incompetent dealers keep handing out defective bikes to customers. Why on earth don’t they test ride the bike before giving it to the owner?

Karsten

My first motor was indeed tested by the LBS before my collection. A quick 2 minute street ride revealed nothing other than a quite motor. The next day and 12 mins into a 4 hr forrest ride all hell broke loose. For me it seemed to be related to heat and torque. Since replaced.

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
Just an update.
Today I did the first hard test with the Levo on new motor, all I can say is that to me it’s now a very, very silent bike.

We were riding in super tough conditions, with technical uphills in turbo at high cadences, and I think I was the quietest or among the quietest bikes. Yes, you will hear it obviously.

I now consider the noise level of the 2018 Levo one of its cool features.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Great service from Spesh UK today. Motor changed for a much quieter one (won’t get to fully test until tomorrow, but was much quieter on a quick ride near Spesh). They also fitted foam blanking for the motor case ‘hole’, and checked the motor cover fit where future Levi’s will have a 4-bolt cover - no gap on mine so not urgent to change it.

How’s that for service - all done within 1.5 days of reporting it!

Simon

A 50Km + ride today and those angry bees have been banished. There is a slight whistle, barely noticeable, and it’s doesn’t get louder with trail or turbo modes, or when climbing steep hills. Certainly no louder than the 2017 Levo in Turbo mode.

Happy customer here, as the bikerides very well - quite a few PRs over the same trails as I have ridden the old Levo quite a few times.

If any of you think their motor is at all noisy, get it replaced - Spesh have plenty in stock, so they are ready for you!

Simon

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
A 50Km + ride today and those angry bees have been banished. There is a slight whistle, barely noticeable, and it’s doesn’t get louder with trail or turbo modes, or when climbing steep hills. Certainly no louder than the 2017 Levo in Turbo mode.

Happy customer here, as the bikerides very well - quite a few PRs over the same trails as I have ridden the old Levo quite a few times.

If any of you think their motor is at all noisy, get it replaced - Spesh have plenty in stock, so they are ready for you!

Simon

if you roll on high cadences does it make any noise?

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
No, the noise (or quietness) is much the same whatever the cadence, load or power mode .
interesting because I am pretty sure my engine starts resonating around 80 rpm (cadence) under that, virtually silent. over that not so much.

funny thing that without this "brosegate" I would just approved the sound as normal. Now I am listening the engines every pedal with my fine absolute pitch ear ;)

SergeB

Nov 12, 2018
CHILE
i do have a bike with this noise issu and i believe the probleme is due to the heating motor probleme, mine stay i between 41°c to 48°c when i use it on the street and i try last year model this weekend and the temperature never when over 33°c... and super silent!

HateClimbs

Nov 3, 2018
Cardiff
interesting because I am pretty sure my engine starts resonating around 80 rpm (cadence) under that, virtually silent. over that not so much.

funny thing that without this "brosegate" I would just approved the sound as normal. Now I am listening the engines every pedal with my fine absolute pitch ear ;)

My new motor is also quiet regardless of the cadence

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
If we do not take the bike in to the shop to fix the issue with the “Specialized replacement Recall Sponge and new motor shroud” to keep out all the small rocks, grass, dirt, twigs and other junk that is now collecting in your motor compartment (see Levo owner’s thread) in a squished mass around the bottom of the motor after it comes in the gap by the rear tire, will the motor get even quiter?

mikie711

Sep 18, 2018
Scotland
I have had a few rides on my 2019 expert and with my wife on the 2018 carbon comp I can say the 2019 does make slightly more noise than the 2018 bike. That said it is only when you start to really work the motor in trail or turbo with high cadence, all other times there is no discernible difference between the 2 bikes noise wise.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
The new motor is silent on the flat; one comment "is that a stealth motor" :)

When climbing it's on par with my old 2018 Levo

Happy days

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
if you roll on high cadences does it make any noise?
I did an extensive test today, and at a cadence of around 100 rpm the noise level increases, but only when I ride in the local forest (flat terrain, single tracks with a lot of tight twists and turns), not on a flat road, not even at 120 rpm. It seems independed on the support level. It will be a point for the shop when I bring the bike for its first maintenance.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
I did an extensive test today, and at a cadence of around 100 rpm the noise level increases, but only when I ride in the local forest (flat terrain, single tracks with a lot of tight twists and turns), not on a flat road, not even at 120 rpm. It seems independed on the support level. It will be a point for the shop when I bring the bike for its first maintenance.
That is what I’m hearing also, just sometimes. Much quiter but with the occasional loudness at around 100 rpm maybe.

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
This is very frustrating. I've been passed by several spec ebikes & couldn't hardly hear them. I'm embarrassed to use mine, although not horrific. Bike shop says it's fine so that's the end of it. $7600nz & disappointed. None of this nonsense should ever have arisen. Not a word about sponges or replacement covers in Nz. Think they're hoping the issue will disappear. My third specialized but perhaps the last. Ps and its noisy & vibrates at high cadense.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
This is very frustrating. I've been passed by several spec ebikes & couldn't hardly hear them. I'm embarrassed to use mine, although not horrific. Bike shop says it's fine so that's the end of it. $7600nz & disappointed. None of this nonsense should ever have arisen. Not a word about sponges or replacement covers in Nz. Think they're hoping the issue will disappear. My third specialized but perhaps the last. Ps and its noisy & vibrates at high cadense.
Get someone from the shop to go riding with you to hear it under load, ideally with a video. There are replacement motors and sponges in NZ and I should be getting both this week. Sounds like your shop just want it all to go away - for that much money I'd make a point of going in store, getting on their facebook page etc

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
That is what I’m hearing also, just sometimes. Much quiter but with the occasional loudness at around 100 rpm maybe.
Today I discovered it is also on the flat starting around 100 rpm, but not always. Shift up 1 or 2 gears and quiet again. I tried revving up above 150 rpm (can't hold that for a long time), and sometimes the noise disappears around 130 rpm.

Last edited:

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand
Here's my bike which my dealer said was quite quiet. Please check the high cadence part at the end. What do you think?
And yes I'm wearing dress shoes riding in the rain on my way home.Sorry about video, one hand with phone, in the rain,
My appologies, the reason trail is not to loud is that my bike trail setting is actually only 15%. not 30%

Last edited:

vannibombonato

Sep 14, 2018
italy
Here's my bike which my dealer said was quite quiet. Please check the high cadence part at the end. What do you think?
And yes I'm wearing dress shoes riding in the rain on my way home.Sorry about video, one hand with phone, in the rain,

100% faulty, mine was like this.

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
Question for those who are getting or already replaced their engine, is your bike bought pre or post delivery pause?

Just thinking was there some kind of quality control/test on the post pause bikes.

Or did they just release the pause and hope that customer notices the problem ( or even better , does not notice even if there is a problem ).

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
About the high cadence noise, I think even the replaced ones squeal from time to time ( from youtube videos). Not sure though.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Question for those who are getting or already replaced their engine, is your bike bought pre or post delivery pause?

Just thinking was there some kind of quality control/test on the post pause bikes.

Or did they just release the pause and hope that customer notices the problem ( or even better , does not notice even if there is a problem ).
Post!

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

Post as well

Glen

Nov 19, 2018
New Zealand

post, had it about three weeks

sylvain rollet

Dec 3, 2018
Dijon
Just watched Robs London to Brighton vid and was surprised about the noise of the motor. Has anyone else with a 2019 noticed the increase in noise from the 2018? Or are some motors louder than others?
Hi, I rode my new Swork turbolevo last WE and I can confirm, it is much, much, much.... more noisy than the 2018
may be I was lucky with my 2018 witch was really soundless.
very quickly I will go back to my shop to change this motor.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Mine in Trail (50%) sounded like yours at 75%. New motor being installed today, so test ride up decent climb after work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles