Levo 2019 motor noise

jimmyjam

Sep 10, 2018
Surrey Hills, UK
Funny you say that, mine is whisper quiet. Then after about 10 miles hard riding it is noticeably more audible. Either the heat or gunk build up effects the noise.
Yes - I did notice it got louder after 30 mins of riding but luckily not as loud as before. Specialized customer care have been very good and are keen to make sure I’m happy, so peace of mind if it gets worse.

Last edited:

Colin228

Nov 16, 2018
Brisbane
Funny you say that, mine is whisper quiet. Then after about 10 miles hard riding it is noticeably more audible. Either the heat or gunk build up effects the noise.

Mine is absolutely louder after a period of time, maybe 2-3km. Honestly Specialized, this is ridiculous, how many people are affected? I'm not happy about you selling me something that you knew to be faulty - Google British Leyland, it didn't work well for them!

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
So how many of you think your 2019 Levo is cutting off power before 20 MPH? Do you think yours is going to be getting louder as time goes by? With no speed odimoter, its hard to tell but the bike seems to be cutting off power at way slower than (what felt like) 20mph of the louder version, perhaps the quiter one does not have the consistent power either of my previous loud version because the new quiter one seems to jump in and out of power (learching while pedeling at steady pace) instead of remaining in power through the entire candace. I had a friend with a speed odimoter ride beside me and his bosch motor kept giving power while my Levo cuts out at 16mph.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Power cutting off at 16-17mph, is your doing that and if so is there a firmware update for that? You have to ride along someone with a speed display to know.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Had my motor replaced on Friday from a very noisy Expert. New motor is now pretty much as quiet as my MY2017 model, even in turbo mode. Rode with @Simon_t and the difference between his noisy motor and my new one was staggering

Finally got around to phoning dealer (who is on the other side of the country from me). Initial discussion was helpful, and ultimately led to me being offered a much closer motor swap at Spesh UK, tomorrow, as well as temporary foam fix for the large aperture in the motor cover. Pretty good service so far, and hopefully a quiet bike this weekend.

Simon

HateClimbs

Nov 3, 2018
Cardiff
Finally got around to phoning dealer (who is on the other side of the country from me). Initial discussion was helpful, and ultimately led to me being offered a much closer motor swap at Spesh UK, tomorrow, as well as temporary foam fix for the large aperture in the motor cover. Pretty good service so far, and hopefully a quiet bike this weekend.

Simon
Hopefully a quite one indeed! Last week, everyone could hear you coming!

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
It's louder than my friend's bosch motor! And quite frankly, embarrassing.

Currently speaking to my LBS

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
No its not normal. I rode with another 2019 Levo that had a motor swap due to noise, and the new motor is as quiet as previous models, barely noticeable even when heavily loaded.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK

Simon
Great service from Spesh UK today. Motor changed for a much quieter one (won’t get to fully test until tomorrow, but was much quieter on a quick ride near Spesh). They also fitted foam blanking for the motor case ‘hole’, and checked the motor cover fit where future Levi’s will have a 4-bolt cover - no gap on mine so not urgent to change it.

How’s that for service - all done within 1.5 days of reporting it!

Simon

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
After they stopped them!!
It must be very embarrassing for Specialized that some incompetent dealers keep handing out defective bikes to customers. Why on earth don’t they test ride the bike before giving it to the owner?

Karsten

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
It must be very embarrassing for Specialized that some incompetent dealers keep handing out defective bikes to customers. Why on earth don’t they test ride the bike before giving it to the owner?

Karsten
Specialized are replacing the motor

In the car park, it sounded ok'ish, it wasn't screaming like the others. It's when the motor is working hard uphill, it sounds horrendous.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Specialized are replacing the motor

In the car park, it sounded ok'ish, it wasn't screaming like the others. It's when the motor is working hard uphill, it sounds horrendous.
I agree - first quick test on mine when I got it I didn’t really notice it. When it’s ridden a bit harder, in Turbo after a good few miles up a steep hill that’s when the volume increased considerably.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles