Levo 2019 motor noise

Wuttkea

Aug 17, 2019
Mannheim
It all depends on the amount of load. Try using a higher cadence(lower gear) and/or increase the pedal assist setting on your eco mode. It is quite possible to maintain speed in most terrain with very little rider torque but increased cadence and the motor will be virtually silent. There is then the added benefit that you are putting the least strain on the motor and drivetrain.
No. In line with what many others have said before, on my 2020 (!) Levo I also have it that it becomes louder when I use it in higher cadence. Only when I shift up the gear it comes somewhat quiet.

Wuttkea

Aug 17, 2019
Mannheim
No. In line with what many others have said before, on my 2020 (!) Levo I also have it that it becomes louder when I use it in higher cadence. Only when I shift up the gear it comes somewhat quiet.
As several of you mentioned that their bikes behave in the same way:
I just came back from my (capable, trustworthy) dealer and all three guys there took turns driving the bike and all three concur that this buzzing\whining\fizzing at high cadences is, unfortunately, typical for Specialized and doed not yet count as defect as defects sound differently.
This is too bad because my Bulls AM 4 with the exact same engine was almost silent when going in Eco (the Levo isn't). The dealers said this may be due to the Specialized's partial integration of the motor Into the frame (the Bulls has it appended onto the frame kind of).
I would have hoped for a new, silent motor but it is also somewhat comforting to know that this is simply how it is. Otherwise a great bike. (And constant whining is still better than ticking, scratching etc)

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
to update you.... i got in touch with Berkshire cycles where i bought my bike. I sent them a video and they agreed its loud, so replaced my motor today. My god its quiet now. This is how i expected it, i honestly can't hear it...... i mean a tiny bike but hardly there. If you guys are saying yours sound the same then i would assume you also have the loud motors that need changing....

very happy now.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
to update you.... i got in touch with Berkshire cycles where i bought my bike. I sent them a video and they agreed its loud, so replaced my motor today. My god its quiet now. This is how i expected it, i honestly can't hear it...... i mean a tiny bike but hardly there. If you guys are saying yours sound the same then i would assume you also have the loud motors that need changing....

very happy now.
Thing is I got mine from Berkshire as well so they must test ride it before customer collects so ??? . I have not a problem with noise as i cant compare being new to ebike . I would have thought 700 miles I would have problem but who knows. Hopefully not as 500 miles to Berkshire cycles for me.

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
I finally rode with another Levo member and it was hilarious. My bike was soooo loud. Ended up bringing it to LBS to get replacement. Recorded mine under load and the new bike same gear under load....night and day difference. Mine sounded like the on recorded in this thread...it was embarrassing.

Cant wait for the replacement.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I finally rode with another Levo member and it was hilarious. My bike was soooo loud. Ended up bringing it to LBS to get replacement. Recorded mine under load and the new bike same gear under load....night and day difference. Mine sounded like the on recorded in this thread...it was embarrassing.

So replacement just because of noise. 1200 miles now just got new power cable small crack in it whether that effects occasional non start due to washing. As I said can't compare met 3 ebikes since June no Levo. Time will tell

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My 2020 Levo Comp has become considerably noisier in the Turbo mode under load. Annoyingly noisy. It’s got about 1000 miles on it. Great bike but it needs to go to the LBS for a fix.
My new motor a lot quieter on the flat hard to say
My 2020 Levo Comp has become considerably noisier in the Turbo mode under load. Annoyingly noisy. It’s got about 1000 miles on it. Great bike but it needs to go to the LBS for a fix.
My 19 was always loud, no increase when motor finally went. New one lot quieter on flat and slight climbs same. Probably same as old motor when steep

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles