Levo 19-20 Tyre thread

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
As the ultimate tyre thread is now 25 pages long of ramble, I going to take a risk and create a new one for the 29er Levo's. I'm not expecting anyone to give a Tim29 reviews, but just what are you running? What will you move onto, or will you 'stick' with what you've got?

I slapped a Muddy Mary on the front of mine from new, and am disappointed with my rear butcher, as I'm bashing the rim/rubbing the frame or flops about at anything lower than 30psi. As I don't want to run the tyre that hard, its going to be replace, so am thinking of an Eddy Current R.
Wot ya got?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Hmm, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I'm a new convert to FS, electric and 29's combined, so at present, I'll run the butchers until they need changing. Initial thoughts are that they are ok, however these are the first hoops I've ridden, tubeless. So I'm learning all about pressures, (stock) compound and patterns, however ultimately i guess it all depends on how and what terrain we all ride...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have used my bike in a variety of terrains ....from forest trails to rock gardens gravel and hardpack....everything except wet/mud.... using the standard butchers and they have both gripped well and worn well. I currently find no reason to change. I run with tubes and 26 up front 28 at the rear.....plus 4 on both for rocky terrain or jumping. No punctures. I think tyre pressure with the butchers is key. I am 77kgs so lighter than some but the overall load put on the tyres, both compression and lateral, by an ebike, make the lower pressures you might use on an analogue bike less effective.
I never see Butchers for sale so my next tyres will be different. At the moment my impression is the Shwalbe are overpriced and Maxxis primarilly aimed at the dry hard pack typical in a lot of the US market. So I would probably pick from Michelin or Continental. I also note the 2020 bkies have 2.3 rear tyres which could give more clearance on the chainstays than the 2.6 on 2019 bikes.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
I'm on E|ddy Currents F&R for the last 2 outings (last two Saturdays) I changed from the stock Butchers.
The front is the best tyre I have ever had- not challenged the rear with any mud or wet roots yet but fine on the dry loamy stuff in the Surrey Hills.

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
i'm a 89 kg rider without gear, I run 20 psi front and 26 back with the butchers in rocky terrain. you feel less grip than a DHF, but not that much. I'll change the front tire when is worn.

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA
I'm on E|ddy Currents F&R for the last 2 outings (last two Saturdays) I changed from the stock Butchers.
The front is the best tyre I have ever had- not challenged the rear with any mud or wet roots yet but fine on the dry loamy stuff in the Surrey Hills.
How well does the Eddy Current 2.6 clear in the rear? Any pics? I have one that I haven't yet mounted. Seeing as how tight the stock Butcher is, I was worried about the Current being even tighter. Wish they made a 2.4 rear of the Eddy Current

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I'm keeping an eye on this thread too, as I haven't decided on what shoes my levo will get once it arrives.

Had a look at the KENDA EMC E-bike rang that I found really interesting and would like to try out, especially the Hellkat ones, just need to find a reseller.

Otherwise I've always gotten along the best on Maxxis for my part for some reason. Assegai or DHF/DHR combo are the most likely candidates on that end for me. Currently running Minions front and rear on my analog for more gnarly stuff / BP

Tried a couple of schwalbes without too much success too, so will probably leave those for now.

Jason1

Jul 18, 2019
UK
I’m going to try a magic Mary up front and a butcher on the rear for now.
I’ve not had my Levo long but I find the front end very sketchy and has caught me out a few times on trails that I usually don’t have any problems on on my nukeproof mega.
It may be that I need to get used to the 29ers but after a bit of reading on here most people say that you can’t go wrong with the magic Mary up front, I may also change the rear to a eddy current in the near future.

Jason

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Front Minion DHF EXO+ TR, Rear Minion DHR II EXO+ TR.
Both tubeless with Cushcore.

I’m 128kgs in cycling gear. Run around 20psi front & back.
The grip is immense, very predictable. My go to tyre!
Lot’s of rocks & roots where I ride, so far.....so good! ;) I’m in Ireland, so wet muddy tracks make an appearance too!
Same tires but without cushcore.
I'm 75 kgs in cycling gear.
Around 22 psi

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Tried a variaty of tyres for our quite easy running terrain (old dune area, with roots).
Rekon Exo+ is super, for heavier terrain DHF EXO+ and DHR EXO+.
Did not like Magic Mary/Hans Dampf APEX, some weird unpredictable behavior.
Bontrager XR2 and Ikon lacked grip.

And I run 27,5x2,8" in our area, much faster handling

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk

Did you get 2.6

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
How well does the Eddy Current 2.6 clear in the rear? Any pics? I have one that I haven't yet mounted. Seeing as how tight the stock Butcher is, I was worried about the Current being even tighter. Wish they made a 2.4 rear of the Eddy Current

They are tight as a rear mudhugger didn’t fit anymore. However with a shorter fender it works. They ride great!

I will try to send you a picture tonight or tomorrow. Currently travelling for work.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

8FE2D773-E074-440B-BD9D-05C87BA0E2EC.jpeg

CE3F77ED-3EF2-4A34-A07B-3F9CCBAD7ED5.jpeg

2C921E0B-964D-4B26-B2CA-9A5AA8E998B4.jpeg

82AA36B8-D12A-40D0-B4C8-79FB882E1B8B.jpeg

I prefered a longer rear fender and bought a Mudhugger Front Race Long version. With the Butchers it should fit with the Eddy’s it does not. Tried to cut pieces of to avoid contact between the fender and tire but it didn’t work. If someone has a fender which does fot but which is longer than I am very interested.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Made my own .it mounts behind the chainstay cross member instead of between it and the tyre. All details are in the forum...do a search for best rear mudguard

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Made my own .it mounts behind the chainstay cross member instead of between it and the tyre. All details are in the forum...do a search for best rear mudguard

Found it thanks! Just hoping that there is also a not DIY mudguard available on the market which fits the combination of a Levo Comp with the Eddy Current 2.6 tires which is longer than the current one I am using today. (especially in winter time mud builds up on top of the chainstay and chain)

Osiris

Mar 6, 2019
Gloucestershire
I’m on Eddy Currents front & tear on my 2019 Levo, and I have to admit, that in my humble opinion, they are the best tyres I have ever had. Been running them since March, about once per week, from Lake District (UK), to Forest of Dean in all weathers. Outstanding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles