LETS SEE YOUR RIDE FOOTAGE

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Cheers. I didn't do that much riding there so my camera footage was limited.

I'm hoping to get race drone footage into my clips along with other stuff (POV gets boring). If i can get the right setup i reckon i should be able to produce some cool footage.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This was a clip of the rocky section which is on top of the mountain. This and the all mountain trail which was technical was my style of riding but not the greatest to watch as the speeds are much slower.

Trail reminded me a lot of Ft William red descent (same hill as the WC DH track but a longer descnt more suitd to trail/Enduro bikes) here in Scotland.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This is the first half of the trail across the field from the farm I live on, just shot off my phone gorillapod'd to branches and spliced together with the phone's video app.

It's bone dry at the moment

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
I'll pop some of mine up here as well if I may! Nothing fancy in terms of editing - I never find time! Few brief clips from Dartmoor and the Quantocks.

Hopefully going up again in next day or so so will be interesting to compare!

First runs on a 'downhill' type run....loved it.

Dartmoor:

Dartmoor - Scout Hut run

Dartmoor ebike...almost off!
- soooo close!

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
-3 degrees and everything is frozen but brilliant ride. 25 km and a 1000 ft in one hour smashing it around in Trail mode ?

79E03FCD-FB2B-47D4-A026-2628B778F901.jpeg

5F465761-CE72-4FF7-86C7-C7509A620DF2.jpeg

9DDBFEE6-8251-4308-B55B-1151A34DD701.jpeg

Karsten

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Here's my latest one, more of the same really although a bit faster. Also I have a potty mouth, need to try and stop that while filming. So don't watch it with volume up and kids around, soz.
Filmed in 2.7K but when I upload in Full HD it lists 4k, upload in HD and I only get 1080, dunno why. Either way the YouTube compression means it looks a good bit less sharp than the raw footage

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Krisj Finally got round to using Filmora (just the phone App) and it's a piece of piss even for me to get my head round using. Cheers for the recommendation!
I shot 4 full enduro tracks on the Gopro and a few shorter pretty rapid sections only to get home, upload it and realise I'd somehow chosen to film it all on 0,5s timlapse (I thinkthat's what it's called) instead of normal video. Anyway. I shot a few little sections to use with the (now useless) Gopro footage.
It's mad how flat camera's shoot bike trails. a few of the clips are shot on trails steep enough it's difficult to walk back up them and they're rough, rutted, rock strewn and muddy but they somehow look about as difficult to ride as a trail centre green route on video

Last edited:

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Strange it plays on mine technology does my f#cking head in ?there’s a clip on my Instagram gary try that
Try link again think I’ve sorted it

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Strange it plays on mine technology does my f#cking head in ?there’s a clip on my Instagram gary try that
Try link again think I’ve sorted it
Me too.
Whatever magic you did it works now.
Cheers!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nice vid Kris - you got the sense of speed across in that which always seems to be the hard thing, looks like you giving it the big un!

Was that on a chest mount?

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@R120 cheers matey yeah it was the chest mount with hero7 , I’ve tried under the visor mount and chin but it doesn’t seem to get the speed across or how much lean you get into corners. I also find it seems a bit too floaty with the helmet mount I like to see a bit of the cockpit violently moving around to give a more in depth feel of the ride.
Haha Yeah I was giving it some , I always go full throttle on all my runs I’m in a constant competition with myself to be faster and smoother, you can’t beat the feeling of riding on the outer limits of your on capabilities. ??
And at the ripe old age of 47 I’m constantly still chasing my youth ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Finally got round to playing with Filmora
struggled quite a bit (but got there in the end)
Not sure if I liked using it enough or not to buy it?
Couldn't work out how to get the odd line to the left of the titles to go away.
Seemed to be taking days to upoload/import to youtube at full res (so I cancalled and uploaded in 1024x720. is that still HD? (it looks shit on youtube :cautious: compared to the raw footage. should I be uploading at full resolution?
playing with Filmora made me realise why I was struggling with Devinci Resolve so I might still try using that again (it's free and has nowatermark)
Here's my first attempt. it's pretty poor I know and also sorry for the watermark and sound (haven't figured out how to edit that).

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Finally got round to playing with Filmora
struggled quite a bit (but got there in the end)
Not sure if I liked using it enough or not to buy it?
Couldn't work out how to get the odd line to the left of the titles to go away.
Seemed to be taking days to upoload/import to youtube at full res (so I cancalled and uploaded in 1024x720. is that still HD? (it looks shit on youtube :cautious: compared to the raw footage. should I be uploading at full resolution?
playing with Filmora made me realise why I was struggling with Devinci Resolve so I might still try using that again (it's free and has nowatermark)
Here's my first attempt. it's pretty poor I know and also sorry for the watermark and sound (haven't figured out how to edit that).

Looks good gary I would always go for best quality upload to YouTube
I thought I’m hardcore to cold weather been a ruff ass builder but dude you take the biscuit
No gloves and sleeves rolled up ?hardcore to the max
You must know your trails like the back of your bare hand at the speed you were going and in the summer months I bet there Mach 10 warp speed trails looks cool as fooook ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
cheers man.
Despite being the most ridden trail on that hill I don't actually know it very well at all (I prefer the more technical in the trees trails there, ) but it's a kinda groundhog day descent with corner after corner so when you get your groove you're cool to let it go. I rode fairly tentatively at the start but it actually turned out to be pretty grippy so you can see me get a little quicker throughout.
I actually wore gloves for most of the climbing but just can't ride properly in 'em anymore. I'm sort of a freak in that I don't get cold forearms ever so never wear a jacket. Randoms are always commenting on my lack of clothing ;)
Got quite a bit of decent footage that day so gonna try and stick something together using Devinci tonight to see if I can get my head round it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sort of beginning to learn my way round devinci resolve now (to my surprise) so did a re-edit of the above video from scratch. Think out oif the two I prefer devinci (despite all the extra options being somewhat daunting). Plus it's free ;)
Once editted and rendered it uploaded to desktop way quicker than filmora did desppite being a far larger file. then I uploaded from there to youtube (at full res 3840x2160) and it took 10 hours to upload!! (i'm in the middle of nowhere so around 4meg broadband max).
But now it's uploaded it only seems to be avaiable in 360p. Can anybody knowledgable help explain why this is? Or do I just have to wait for youtube to process it further for higher quality to be available?

anyway. here's the video is with no watermark

[EDIT] 1080p is now available but it still looks shit compared to the original footage :/

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
YouTube takes a while (sometimes 48 hours) to re-render your upload in to the other viewing resolution options. Check back later...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
YouTube takes a while (sometimes 48 hours) to re-render your upload in to the other viewing resolution options. Check back later...
Ah.. thanks
Is that why you can scedule your videos to go public at a certain time/date?
and is that what proper YooToobers do to can fire out their vids in full quality when they want them to air?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
"Is that why you can schedule your videos to go public at a certain time/date?"

One of the reasons, yes. I'll upload the video - might not even get around to the description or tags immediately - with the intention of publishing a couple of days later. So YT has plenty of time to prepare all the resolutions.

1080p looks 'poo' because You Tube reduces the bit rate quite a bit for that resolution: Lots of pixels, not many Mbps. And mountain biking videos have a lot of movement to encode, which strains the low-bit-rate stream even further. 4K looks much better, because YT up the resolution and the bit-rate for the stream.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Cheers @SquireRides
Total noob question but what resolution is 4k?
I uploaded at full res (3840x2160) will it eventually show in 4k?

S'pose I'm asking what's the best res to upload to YT?
all my footage was shot in 4k 25fps

Am rendering another 4min vid just now

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Cheers @SquireRides
Total noob question but what resolution is 4k?
I uploaded at full res (3840x2160) will it eventually show in 4k?

S'pose I'm asking what's the best res to upload to YT?
all my footage was shot in 4k 25fps

Am rendering another 4min vid just now

Yeah, 3840x2160 is 4K as far as YT is concerned.

For upload, use that 4k resolution, and a reasonably high bit-rate (but don't go crazy or it'll take forever to upload). 40/50Mbps for 4K is about right. Even though YT will munge it down to a much lower bit rate for streaming, give it plenty of information to work with...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks. Where do I get an option to choose bitrate?
the MOV file says total bitrate 11835kbps
I just chose the file from my desktop using youtube's uploader button

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Thanks. Where do I get an option to choose bitrate?
the MOV file says total bitrate 11835kbps
I just chose the file from my desktop using youtube's uploader button

Sorry, been a while since I have used Davinci Resolve. I know export bit-rate is there somewhere, but couldn't tell you where!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles