Sep 18, 2019
San Francisco, CA
IMG_9299.JPG

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
I love the bike rack!
My pedals are kind of generic. Am also surprised by how many peeps ride flats
My grips will seem weird (like my oversize tires)
funmamba.png
rip.jpg
--it's one grip wrapped around another--just like them to be fat

WLEBay

Sep 18, 2019
San Francisco, CA
I think there is definitely more control in rough downhill sections with clip pedals, i feel much safer.

I often have the same thought and then remind myself that world champion downhillers like Aaron Gwin race and win world championships on flats. So I think it comes down to preference.

As often as I might get bucked on flats I probably would also get stuck in my clips. So I view it as a wash.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Slightly off topic but thought I'd share my latest creation! I needed somewhere safe, secure and out of the way to store my Kenevo. This is what I came up with :) View attachment 19905 View attachment 19906 View attachment 19907 View attachment 19908 View attachment 19912 View attachment 19913 View attachment 19915

View attachment 19909

View attachment 19911

View attachment 19910

View attachment 19914

Sweet, looks good, did you TIG the rack, I would've just MIGGED it!

Bike looks kick arse too!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I often have the same thought and then remind myself that world champion downhillers like Aaron Gwin race and win world championships on flats. So I think it comes down to preference.
Aaron Gwin won Leogang World Cup DH in 2015 WITHOUT a chain when it tore off at the starting gate! His platform pedals were clip-hybrids but it’s hard to tell if his skateboardy shoes had latches underneath or not (from the YouTube video). At any rate he didn’t have power benefit from the upstroke (or down) but if clipped-in he may have been able to yank his bike into better postures. It made me wonder how red-faced the other riders were - not to mention the chain and pedal manufacturers... who may have had to request track designers to include pedally sections on DH tracks from that point onwards - to ensure their products remain essential and avoid the embarrassment.

I only know of Sam Hill who defies the status quo with elite rank DH and Enduro wins on true classic platforms throughout his career thus far.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have been riding with the stock plastic pedals since may, but I hate that I strike them into anything and everything. I have now ordered XT SPD pedals so I can resume riding with SPD pedals. The only time I would like to ride without spd is wintertime with warm boots.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but it’s hard to tell if his skateboardy shoes had latches underneath or not (from the YouTube video).
No they were clip in pedals and clip in shoes. Aaron pretty much always races in clips. all but 2 of the current top 60 WC DH riders do. He's an amazing rider whether on flats or clipped in. All pro DH riders are.
It made me wonder how red-faced the other riders were
TBF everyone expected Gwin to win. it's Leogang afterall. they were all astonished at what he did with no chain but none were embarrassed.
There are actually some advantages to be gained from not having a chain on a DH bike.
If you look at Commencal's latest DH frame you'll see they have tried to eliminate chain forces from the suspension action. With great success too.

Hill is pretty much the only flat pedal Pro Enduro racer

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
I just went with some Stamp 1s. Grippy, sealed and inexpensive at $40. Definitely going to need some thicker grips next, OEMs are too thin for my tastes

SmartSelect_20191015-223014_Gallery.jpg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I just went with some Stamp 1s. Grippy, sealed and inexpensive at $40.
I used to only use alloy metal platforms, but unless they're high-end fancy alloy, they're understandably heavy. I can't remember when, but some years ago I came across a plastic equivalent of my old go-to BMX pedal - Odyssey Twisted... and decided to try them out just to save some weight and a heavy bike I had. I thought when they broke or wear out, I can just keep replacing them like disposables. They'd still be cheaper than a decent metal pair. Well, I still have those pedals and even with plastic pins are still grippy. I've been using plastic platforms every since... some with replaceable metal pins tho.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I been riding clips all my life but on the ebike, hell no

The weight and speed on a ebike demands more movements, even a toe rotation helps. A good pins and sole combo is plenty of grip, personally I’m happy don’t need the 100% lock

I’m more confident and fast on flats on a ebike than clipped.

ryturn

Sep 12, 2019
Australia
Been on Crankbrothers for years , eggbeaters , mallet , candy's and mallet enduro
20191017_170549.jpg
20191017_171129.jpg
20191020_175809.jpg
20191021_113542.jpg
now on e bike couldn't use anything else the wife is the same guess it comes down to what feels right for you . l tried flats and soft soles years ago but it felt like riding without gloves.

Last edited:

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I took these out for their first ride Tuesday and love them. Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals. I thought it might be snake oil but man are they nice. Prior to that primarily used Race face Chesters.... Grips are OBD Troy Lee Designs....
IMG_2110.JPG

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles