Left hand rear brake

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
Has anyone swapped their brakes over to the UK standard? i.e. left hand rear, right front. Having the left brake cable enter the down tube from the left looks like it would be too cramped. Has anyone modified the entry for this cable to the right side?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
On what bike ? They are all a bit different with cable routing . Left rear rh front is normal in uk , I’ve never seen anyone here using the opposite . My commencal came the other way round , bloody dangerouse if you don’t know and not used it before , but I just swapped the levers over and left the cables as they were , it worked ok with the code r brakes but wouldnt with some other makes .
all motorbikes are rh front brake so really I feel that should be the standard for safety reasons alone

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
On what bike ? They are all a bit different with cable routing . Left rear rh front is normal in uk , I’ve never seen anyone here using the opposite . My commencal came the other way round , bloody dangerouse if you don’t know and not used it before , but I just swapped the levers over and left the cables as they were , it worked ok with the code r brakes but wouldnt with some other makes .
all motorbikes are rh front brake so really I feel that should be the standard for safety reasons alone
It's on an eOne Sixty 800. SLX brakes are coming straight off and being replaced with CODE R's. Just looks like the left lever not entering the right side of the down tube will be too cramped, especially if/when I take an off and the bars spin.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Don't tell me you also have the brake levers on the wrong side in the UK? :)
No uk has the normal front right rear left , bikes from Europe seem to be reversed . Why I don’t know , I can’t see a logical reason for it , especially as many riders come from a motorcycle background ,

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It's on an eOne Sixty 800. SLX brakes are coming straight off and being replaced with CODE R's. Just looks like the left lever not entering the right side of the down tube will be too cramped, especially if/when I take an off and the bars spin.
If your changing the brakes anyway it’s wont matter anyway , just re route the new hoses ?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I think its to do with the ability to brake safely whilst signalling and crossing traffic. we cross oncoming traffick to our right elsewhere they cross oncoming traffic to the left, the rear brake is apparently a safer brake to use when steering and braking one handed

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think its to do with the ability to brake safely whilst signalling and crossing traffic. we cross oncoming traffick to our right elsewhere they cross oncoming traffic to the left, the rear brake is apparently a safer brake to use when steering and braking one handed
Has to the best and only reason or explanation I have heard , but what a feet up arse idea . I wonder how many accidents it’s caused

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
I'm from The Netherlands, but I want my brakes set up the UK-way ;)
And that is indeed because I've been riding motorcycles for fourty years and cannot get used to the front brake on the left hand side. That's gonna end in a crash for sure :eek:

So I did the left-right swap with the brake hoses (Merida E-Onesixty 900 with Shimano brakes). I didn't change the routing so the rear brake hose enters the frame on the left. No problem, it just doesn't look that tidy. Maybe I'll change it some day, but I'm not sure if the hose is long enough if it comes from the right.

You'd also have to swap the cable clamps left-right because one has three holes (brake, rear mech and electric cable) and the other one has one hole (dropper post). And that means re-routing the electric cable as well.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
So what does the rest of world have , are USA Nz Aus bikes all reversed levers ?

I thought the reason for rh front brake was because most people are right handed , hence it’s become a standard across the world , on every vehicle I can think of we brake with out right side be it hand or foot Except for the rear brake on most motorcycles .

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
I'm from The Netherlands, but I want my brakes set up the UK-way ;)
And that is indeed because I've been riding motorcycles for fourty years and cannot get used to the front brake on the left hand side. That's gonna end in a crash for sure :eek:

So I did the left-right swap with the brake hoses (Merida E-Onesixty 900 with Shimano brakes). I didn't change the routing so the rear brake hose enters the frame on the left. No problem, it just doesn't look that tidy. Maybe I'll change it some day, but I'm not sure if the hose is long enough if it comes from the right.

You'd also have to swap the cable clamps left-right because one has three holes (brake, rear mech and electric cable) and the other one has one hole (dropper post). And that means re-routing the electric cable as well.
This is exactly the issue. If the cables are just a bit untidy and don't fold if the bar spins then I'll probably just live with it. As you say we could swap the clamps over but then the dropper would really have to go on the right hand side of the bar so the cable entry was left hand downtube. Another solution would be to remove the right hand clamp and drill a new hole in it to take the rear brake cable.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
So what does the rest of world have , are USA Nz Aus bikes all reversed levers ?

I thought the reason for rh front brake was because most people are right handed , hence it’s become a standard across the world , on every vehicle I can think of we brake with out right side be it hand or foot Except for the rear brake on most motorcycles .
I know Canada is opposite to UK because I recently hired a bike at Bromont bike park in Quebec and had to get them to reverse the brakes on the bike I hired. I always understood the difference to be as ccrdave explained. Regardless, it is what it is and it ain't changing any time soon.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
@Billy, you could just swap the cable clamps when re-routing the brake hose.
The clamp with three holes goes to the right for the rear brake hose, dropper cable and electric cable. The one with one hole to the left for the rear mech cable.

That's the way I would want to have it, so maybe I'll do the effort on a rainy day soon... :)

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
@Billy, you could just swap the cable clamps when re-routing the brake hose.
The clamp with three holes goes to the right for the rear brake hose, dropper cable and electric cable. The one with one hole to the left for the rear mech cable.

That's the way I would want to have it, so maybe I'll do the effort on a rainy day soon... :)
Good point and thanks! That will work if the dropper and mech cables are the same diameter (I would have thought they are) as the holes in the clamps are different sizes. What a load of messing around. I just want to ride the thing!

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
All sorted!

20181005_164150.jpg

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
It came with the bike. There's a matching rear guard too. This one has been replaced as it's too small and doesn't protect the fork seals.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The bike was imported to the UK from a Spanish retailer.
Two mates have just just bought two Meridas , Iam sure they came from Spain , I’ll ask what they did there’s no way they would ride them reversed being bikers .

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
To be honest they're rubbish. You're better off buying a Marsh Guard or equivalent. The ones on Evans are pretty good.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Two mates have just just bought two Meridas , Iam sure they came from Spain , I’ll ask what they did there’s no way they would ride them reversed being bikers .
Yes they did swap them over , Merida e900 shimano brakes I think was a bit fiddly I think had to buy a new cable clamp on the frame ? But the hoses re routed ok and are long enough

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles