Leaving Vitus due to CRC's poor customer service

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I meant he's going OTT by buying a new bike because he is worried that something may go wrong with a perfectly good one.

I totally agree that CRC's customer service has been shocking over the last 6 months or so (I had only had good experiences with them up until my issue) and that would put me off buying from them again, but the fact is the only part on an EMTB I really care about is the motor, I can pretty much fix anything else myself, and you can warranty the motor via your LBS, and get CRC to cover any labor charges. My LBS charged me 70 quid to deal with the warranty, taking bike apart and putting back together.

TBH I dont trust any bike unless its been PDI'd and put together by someone I know and trust. When I get any new bike I pretty much take it apart and put it back together when I get it, for two reasons - One so that I know the guts of it if something goes wrong on the trail, and two to make sure its put tougher right and deal with any issues like cable routing that I am not happy with out the factory.

The issue with the Vitus's are the motors going, and from what I have seen that has nothing to do with how they are installed, if done correctly - on mine the internal torque sensor went. I know a lot of people are now getting issue with the Shimano about a year into ownership.

For me its still the best EMTB out there, it takes an hour to drop the motor, tidy up the cabling, stick some Moto foam above it, and bolt it all back together.

I have ridden more EMTB's than I care to remember, and nothing has come close to it for hard charging, but its definitely a bike designed to be pushed hard to get the best out of it, for me it comes alive when gong fast down technical stuff, where it flies over drops, rocks and jumps whilst retaining a playfulness and manoeuvrability that other bikes in the same category just dont have.

If that's not your riding style or you dont ride anything too technical, then its not going be as fast as a more conventional trail bike (I am faster on my hardtail round my local trails), because the beauty of the E-Sommett is you really can push to the edge and beyond on demanding terrain, and a bike you can trust will have your back when you are travelling at mach 10 through the rough stuff.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I meant he's going OTT by buying a new bike because he is worried that something may go wrong with a perfectly good one.

I totally agree that CRC's customer service has been shocking over the last 6 months or so (I had only had good experiences with them up until my issue) and that would put me off buying from them again, but the fact is the only part on an EMTB I really care about is the motor, I can pretty much fix anything else myself, and you can warranty the motor via your LBS, and get CRC to cover any labor charges. My LBS charged me 70 quid to deal with the warranty, taking bike apart and putting back together.

TBH I dont trust any bike unless its been PDI'd and put together by someone I know and trust. When I get any new bike I pretty much take it apart and put it back together when I get it, for two reasons - One so that I know the guts of it if something goes wrong on the trail, and two to make sure its put tougher right and deal with any issues like cable routing that I am not happy with out the factory.

The issue with the Vitus's are the motors going, and from what I have seen that has nothing to do with how they are installed, if done correctly - on mine the internal torque sensor went. I know a lot of people are now getting issue with the Shimano about a year into ownership.

For me its still the best EMTB out there, it takes an hour to drop the motor, tidy up the cabling, stick some Moto foam above it, and bolt it all back together.

I have ridden more EMTB's than I care to remember, and nothing has come close to it for hard charging, but its definitely a bike designed to be pushed hard to get the best out of it, for me it comes alive when gong fast down technical stuff, where it flies over drops, rocks and jumps whilst retaining a playfulness and manoeuvrability that other bikes in the same category just dont have.

If that's not your riding style or you dont ride anything too technical, then its not going be as fast as a more conventional trail bike (I am faster on my hardtail round my local trails), because the beauty of the E-Sommett is you really can push to the edge and beyond on demanding terrain, and a bike you can trust will have your back when you are travelling at mach 10 through the rough stuff.
Yes .... I DO agree, it is a fantastic bike!

But ... I don't expect to have to ho through the engineering that you're suggesting to get by. WE have to call CRC out in this and not simply look for fixes .... they MUST be held accountable for the poor design and even worse customer service.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I agree and disagree - the issue IMO is not the design, its the fact they rush out the bikes without putting them together with enough care and attention - the first ones they put out had very few issues, but we started seeing a fair few of them put together badly, and package badly for delivery as time went on.

If the cabling, and the cover plates/grommets for the steps systems haven't been done tidy and correctly it will lead to problems pretty soon.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I agree and disagree - the issue IMO is not the design, its the fact they rush out the bikes without putting them together with enough care and attention - the first ones they put out had very few issues, but we started seeing a fair few of them put together badly, and package badly for delivery as time went on.

If the cabling, and the cover plates/grommets for the steps systems haven't been done tidy and correctly it will lead to problems pretty soon.
Sorry .... I can't agree with that.

Because I've had my replacement motor fitted by the shimano service Centre and cabling rerouted .... and I've had the same problem happen again. As have most of the Vitus owners in the club.

There is a fundamental flaw with the bike and it isn't the poor assembly, although having dealt with CRC I wouldn't be surprised if that happens anyway.

Having said that .... I can accept technical issues but not repeated technical issues and the fact that CRC and Wiggle have stayed hidden in the background and NOT stood up and be counted, but in fact had the brazen balls to launch a "2020" bike that is the exact same design and the same exact motor. I don't expect anything to change regarding the issues and to not steer people away from them would be as bad as them.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I'd love to see the respond but having had about 6 or 7 bikes in our club go through the same issues I won't hold my breath as they have all tried the same.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What is the problem in your instance? I cant see how the design cause a problem?

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
What is the problem in your instance? I cant see how the design cause a problem?
E10 issue .... new motor on warranty. Second E10 and waiting on new motor.

The design flaw is obvious. At the top of the motor ... left open for water and dirt to collect along with badly routed cabling.

If it's not a design flaw then it's an unbelievable coincidence

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interestingly on mine the official report from Madison said they couldn't find a fault with the motor, only that the fault code would come up no matter what they tried and nothing obvious when they took it apart (when you send them the motor they hook it up to a test rig as well as taking it apart) and they sent out a replacement motor anyway. My LBS reckoned it was torque sensor as that's the most common problem they have had with them. Slightly worrying conclusion

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Interestingly on mine the official report from Madison said they couldn't find a fault with the motor, only that the fault code would come up no matter what they tried and nothing obvious when they took it apart (when you send them the motor they hook it up to a test rig as well as taking it apart) and they sent out a replacement motor anyway. My LBS reckoned it was torque sensor as that's the most common problem they have had with them. Slightly worrying conclusion
That's not a torque sensor issue then. E10 is an undetermined fault that results in no power. It can be anything.

If it was the torque sensor then that would be a specific error code. But the most worrying conclusion is they have started rejecting warranty claims ... that's the big worry.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No the torque sensor gets the E10 code followed by W013 - that's what mine did, but then reverted to just showing E10 and not showing any other code.

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
My motor was sent to Madison from my LBS as had same error. Madison couldn't find any issues, LBS refitted motor and tested it. Failed again. Whole bike has now gone to Madison. Hoping to hear something end of this week / middle of next week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles