LBS damages bike

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I guess your take on this situation depends on whether your expect the bike to get dents in its life or not.
I expect that I will damage my bike when riding it. I also expect that anyone I pay to do work on my bike will take a lot more care of it than has been displayed here and if not I would expect them to fix it. It may be inconvenient or expensive for them, but that not my problem.
If your brand new bike had that damage on the downtube when you went to collect it for the first time would you expect a discount?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I can flipping guarantee, as a plumber if I dropped my blowtorch or spilt black radiator water on your carpet, as a customer you would still be livid and not at all interested in the argument that your carpet would only end up stained and knackered in the end..
I have insurance just in case this happens.
the bike shop will also be insured
there is no argument, they need to sort it in whatever way satisfies the customer and im sure they will..

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I can flipping guarantee, as a plumber if I dropped my blowtorch or spilt black radiator water on your carpet, as a customer you would still be livid and not at all interested in the argument that your carpet would only end up stained and knackered in the end..
I have insurance just in case this happens.
the bike shop will also be insured
there is no argument, they need to sort it in whatever way satisfies the customer and im sure they will..

But as a plumber , if you have to dig up the ground to get to some pipes do you expect to pay a landscape gardener to repair and trenches wider than the pipe?

More importantly, as a customer how do you feel having elevated insurance premiums increase the cost of a service because a paint chip needs a frame repaint? Because if that's the standard of care we expect, prices go up. Just look at the cost of medical care in yhe us compared with the rest of the world

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's as expensive as some cars. You appear to have lower expectations of your LBS than I do.

Nah. I just know that I'm going to beat the sh*t out of my MTBs and dirt bikes. A KTM dirt bike comes with a 30 day warranty. Why? Because 99.9% of the stuff that will wreck it is out of their control. Same with an MTB. In this case, clearly the shop made a mistake. And I agree with you that they should be on the hook for some level of responsibility. But I'm of the "sh*t happens" mindset in this case, and a fair deal would be for them to either get the paint and do their best, or give me the paint so I can triage it and have some paint for the 50 other dings I'll inevitably put on the bike. Cheers!

Rail7David

Sep 22, 2020
Tahoe
This is an update on the LBS paint damage. It has been really interesting reading the varying opinions. I left it up to the bike shop to do what was fair. Their decision was to repair the chip the best they could. The LBS got the paint code from Trek and had some touch up paint made. The repair isn't quite factory, but it certainly looks much better. I was also given a credit towards future service work. All in all, I was very satisfied with the outcome and felt that I had been treated fairly.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
T
This is an update on the LBS paint damage. It has been really interesting reading the varying opinions. I left it up to the bike shop to do what was fair. Their decision was to repair the chip the best they could. The LBS got the paint code from Trek and had some touch up paint made. The repair isn't quite factory, but it certainly looks much better. I was also given a credit towards future service work. All in all, I was very satisfied with the outcome and felt that I had been treated fairly.
Thats good news for you. (y) I think it’s important to have a good LBS. I move about the country with my work and travel so never have a LBS so have to rely on recommendations from other mountain bikers like on this forum etc depending what area I am in. Glad you got it sorted.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
If your Happy with that then fair play...I had a similar issue a few years ago with my orange that turned up with something similar..shop said its to be expected,so I contacted orange direct...long storey short,they offered me a upgraded frame painted in-house to the colour of my choice and upgraded forks which then needed new wheels..nothing was a problem...that's the short version

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
But as a plumber , if you have to dig up the ground to get to some pipes do you expect to pay a landscape gardener to repair and trenches wider than the pipe?
I dont dig up the ground, im a plumber and thats a builders job. how on earth is this relevant ?

More importantly, as a customer how do you feel having elevated insurance premiums increase the cost of a service because a paint chip needs a frame repaint? Because if that's the standard of care we expect, prices go up. Just look at the cost of medical care in the us compared with the rest of the world

I didn't say it needs repaint, I said it needs to satisfy the customer and if that means a repaint then get that insurance claim in, thats why we have it.. yea prices will go up along with the care in the approach to your job..

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
What about the “mobile chip repair” people. They work on site (yours) and are pretty good from what I have heard.
Ask for a quote and see if the LBS’s insurance will accept it.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
While replacing the speed sensor on my Trek Rail 7, the bike fell off the repair stand at the LBS. The paint was chipped down to the aluminum frame and is a little larger than the size of a dime. Unfortunately the damage is in a very noticeable location View attachment 44785 . What compensation should I expect from the bike shop?
Get a quote from a reliable Auto Paint Shop to repair the damage. (Don't expect to get a full respray job).
Take the quote back to the LBS and ask if they are prepared to meet you halfway. Remember, it was an accident. Be prepared to compromise.
If it was me, I would repair it myself. After all, it is an MTB, and unless you are a pussy, it is going to have a hard life.
Life is too short - move.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands

At least you’ve come to an agreement which works for both parties, you have now built a relationship with your LBS which will work well when you need advice.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Its an interesting one. I'm very fussy about may cars bodywork, but dont really care about my bike. Not that I want it damaged, I just accept its going to get dinged. I hate damaging my stuff though.

When I got the bike it came with 2 small chips in the paintwork. Ended up with £100 off a cycle computer. Was a bit annoyed, but doesn't stop me enjoying the bike in any way.

Different people have different views and expectations.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles