LBS damages bike

Rail7David

Sep 22, 2020
Tahoe
While replacing the speed sensor on my Trek Rail 7, the bike fell off the repair stand at the LBS. The paint was chipped down to the aluminum frame and is a little larger than the size of a dime. Unfortunately the damage is in a very noticeable location
IMG_1515.jpg
. What compensation should I expect from the bike shop?

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
accidents happen, an apology and no charge for the speed sensor work would be nice. I imagine your annoyed, but keep it in perspective. It has no impact on the bike functionality.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
While replacing the speed sensor on my Trek Rail 7, the bike fell off the repair stand at the LBS. The paint was chipped down to the aluminum frame and is a little larger than the size of a dime. Unfortunately the damage is in a very noticeable location View attachment 44785 . What compensation should I expect from the bike shop?
I would expect to pay for the work . Then pay for them to fix it . I try to avoid mechanics like the plague. Cars/bikes . Yet I'm happy to pay for work when I'm unable to fix myself . U win some u lose some . A nice young mechanic got my bike on the road the other day . When I was unable to do the work myself . I suppose if you value there service you will cop it on the chin . A good mechanic shouldn't be dropping bikes though. So yeh ur call . Get angry or move on .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’d be furious if that was my bike and I’d want it fixed. I suspect getting the paint matched will be a real PITA though.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The shop should do a very nice repair to the painting even if it results much more expensive than the service they did.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Any reputable shop would make this right for you.

Also, Trek should be able to provide you with the color specification, and you can find many places who can make a bit of touch-up paint for you.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Get down there, slap them around a bit, hang him by his testicles using cheese wire & ask him politely.. Please fix my bike.

Seriously. As said, any LBS worth their salt would certainly offer to make it good again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It all depends upon your relationship with the LBS. Are they miserable bastards who you wouldn't care if you never saw them again, or do you want to stay friends because they are good at what they do (except for this unfortunate accident). I will assume the latter.

No point in losing your temper, it won't get them on your side. What would they do if it was their bike, or if you had damaged one of their showroom models? So, discuss with them what would be a reasonable fix. I would prefer them to fix it and I would be happy with a reasonable repair. As long as it wasn't noticeable from 10 feet away I'd be happy. The alloy needs protecting from corrosion as a minimum. Lets face it, if YOU had done the damage, you'd probably just cover with as close a paint job as you could, and then put a sticker on top of it if it still shouted.

In advance, work out what you want them to do in an ideal world? (New frame - forget it!). What is your bottom line? (They give you money and you fix it yourself- how much do you need to do what quality of job) Bear in mind that it will be cheaper for them to fix it than to pay you to get it fixed to the same level. Be clear in your own mind what you would settle for and walk away content, if not happy. Don't just argue until you both fall out with each other.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
If the bike has no other damage I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask them to have it resprayed. In the end it will affect your resale value.
If the bike has previous damage then at least a professional touchup.
The shops usually have their own paint shop anyway so it wouldn’t cost them a great deal.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
would like to know from rail7david what they have to say/offer in 1st place to repair /compensate .

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
Initially I would be very disappointed. A good positive professional approach is what I would take. At the least, a proper touch up and perhaps a free future service coupon.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Personally, I would rather NOT have the bike shop repair the paint, as that's not likely their specialty, and don't you really just want to ride the bike? I would purchase some touch-up paint that is an exact match (have the LBS get the color code from Trek), and ask the LBS to credit you that amount towards the work they did. Maybe they can even source the paint if Trek stocks touchup, otherwise you can have some made for a reasonable amount.

The bike *IS* going to get more dings and chips. 100%. Get a verbal agreement for something like the above. Ride your bike. Be happy.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
What does a bike mechanic earn per hour?

I'd rather have a few scratches on my bike than my bike mechanic have their wages docked for the cost of repair. Or lose their job.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
If a car dealership had chipped your brand new car down to the metal would you be happy with some touch up paint?

It's not a car. If it was my dirt bike, yes, I'd be fine with that and an apology. If it was my mountain bike, yes, I'd be find with that and an apology.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
A year in the life of a mountain bike:

I get purchased by somebody who loves me.
I get photographed on my first ride out. My owner clearly loves me.
My owner takes me on the second ride. I like my new owner, they take me on easy routes.
My owner took me in the car today. My owner fell over with me. I have a scratch on me.
My owner has taken me for a few more bike rides. Rocks and stones do not like me, they throw themselves at me, scratching my paint a bit more.
My owner has used me for 6 months now. I look like shit. Half of me has been sold and replaced. The rest is scratched all over.
My owner has used me for a year. I have scratches all over me. I do not think my owner loves me anymore.

A year in the life of a mountain biker:

I purchased my new bike today, it was very expensive !
I took photographs on my first ride out to share on social media. I love my new bike.
I took the bike out on its second ride. I am now confident it has been put together correctly by the bike shop and has no faults.
I went to a trail center today. I love my new bike.
I have taken my bike out to a few places with my friends. My bike is fantastic. It makes me a better rider.
I cycle my bike a lot. I have upgraded some parts to make me even faster.
I need a new bike.

Last edited:

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
A toyota hilux is as expensive as some cars, but like a mountain bike I would not expect it to look perfect with use.

If I purchased a sports car I would expect it to look perfect with use.

A road bike is like a sport car.

A MTB is like a toyota hilux.

I guess some people expect their toyota hilux to always look perfect, but not sure that is a reasonable expectation.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Agreed, but I assume that you expect to impart all the damage yourself, rather than collect it from the dealership pre-dented?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the answer to this is that the shop should do whatever it takes to make you feel better about the situation. Its a big mistake to make, but bike shops are mostly small business, if it happened t me I would want want a new frame or a respray covered, but I would also know thats not realistic, so maybe a couple of hundred quids worth of vouchers or similar.

Whatever happened the important thing to me would be to walk away feeling the bike shop had done enough to make me not think of them as dickheads.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
Agreed, but I assume that you expect to impart all the damage yourself, rather than collect it from the dealership pre-dented?

I guess your take on this situation depends on whether your expect the bike to get dents in its life or not.

I expect mine to get dented. I would much prefer them to be done by me. I would be very annoyed for a couple of days if a LBS did one. However, life is too short to get annoyed for long about an accident if you recognize that it will get more dents in future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles