Lapierre Overvolt - Frame Cracking

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Folks, thought it best to inform you that there is potentially an issue with the 2019 Lapierre overvolt and the seat stay cracking. I have had 2 overvolts 727i and a 927i over the past 6 months both of which have been sent back to LP/Raleigh due to the frame cracking at the weld in the seatpost stay.
Raleigh have been very good and have replaced the bikes - 3rd one is on the way as we speak, they have attributed it down to a batch of dodgy frames. Anyhow the bike details are below -

Overvolt 727i - size large - months owned 3 - miles travelled 390 - big crack at the seatstay weld - Frame number LPS7A-LG-B AV18110651
Overvolt 929i - size large - months owned 2 - miles travelled 214 - big crack at the seatpost weld - Frame Number LPS7A-LG-C AV18702419

I know there are a couple of others on here that have had the same - @gfunkmc and @Rich_F21316, if you have had any issues then please post pictures of crack along with bike details, model, size, months owned and miles travelled and frame number if you have it .
Cheers @Cheekychops1111

727i 1.jpg

727i 2.jpg

727i 3.jpg

927i 1.jpg

927i 2.jpg

AntRB

Sep 21, 2019
Italy
I found this forum searching in the web if I was lonely with the frame cracked... unhappy to see this!!! :-(

my bike as 4 months and 700km...

Your bikes have now a new frame? I'm waiting for...

IMG_20190907_155915.jpg

IMG_20190907_161326.jpg

IMG_20190907_163923.jpg

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Hi guys, any updates on this? I have discovered a very small crack in the same place on my 527i , wondering what to do? Im also having motor issues. Its over a year old now.
I ended up getting a YT Decoy. Take yours back to where you purchased the bike they will get in touch with lapierre and they WILL accept it as a warranty and offer you a replacement bike or frame. However I’d recommend getting a refund or pick a different bike.

Last edited:

coop69coop

Oct 11, 2018
Bristol
I ended up getting a YT Decoy. Take yours back to where you purchased the bike they will get in touch with lapierre and they WILL accept it as a warranty and offer you a replacement bike or frame. However I’d recommend getting a refund or pick a different bike.
Wow that’s pretty amazing , I have had my bike for over a year ! And I’ve ridden it a lot , but there is certainly evidence of small cracking which I guess is only going to get worse. I really like the bike as well. I have also upgraded it , and would actually be quite disappointed if they replaced like for like as it would technically be a downgrade. Do you think I should take all my upgrades off? Am I likely never to see the bike again ?

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Wow that’s pretty amazing , I have had my bike for over a year ! And I’ve ridden it a lot , but there is certainly evidence of small cracking which I guess is only going to get worse. I really like the bike as well. I have also upgraded it , and would actually be quite disappointed if they replaced like for like as it would technically be a downgrade. Do you think I should take all my upgrades off? Am I likely never to see the bike again ?
Same here I replace the brakes, fork, rear shock, bars, stem, chain ring an pedals not to mention frame protectors and tubeless kit all of which had to be removed and replaced with the original stuff before I sent it back. Originally Raleigh uk tolled me they accept it as a warranty but couldn’t offer me a replacement and my choices were pick a different bike or have a refund. They didn’t have anything els I wanted so asked for a refund, they then emailed me a week later saying they now have a replacement frame and asked me to take it to a Halfords to have it swapped out. No offence to Halfords but that’s not somthing I’d ever consider and tolled them i wanted a refund which I got.

Last edited:

coop69coop

Oct 11, 2018
Bristol
Same here I replace the brakes, fork, rear shock, bars, stem, chain ring an pedals not to mention frame protectors and tubeless kit all of which had to be removed and replaced with the original stuff before I sent it back. Originally Raleigh uk tolled tolled me they accept it as a warranty but couldn’t offer me a replacement and my choices were pick a different bike or have a refund. They didn’t have anything els I wanted so asked for a refund, they then emailed me a week later saying they now have a replacement frame and asked me to take it to a Halfords to have it swapped out. No offence to Halfords but that’s not somthing I’d ever consider and tolled them i wanted a refund which I got.
Ok well thanks for the heads up! It sounds like it could be a hit and miss experience, I will try to rake as many upgrades off as is practically possible and real with it from there I suppose. Cheers again

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Gents, well bike no 3 has been returned, another crack appeared.
TBH, the bikes have been shocking, build quality is terrible, all bearings went on the bike, single pivot shook loose, resulting in the back end practically falling off. Headset bearings were shot, went through 2 dropper posts, new motor as old one was binding, in fact the only thing that was good on the bike was the running gear di2, which performed flawlessly. All in all a terrible bike and experience, Raleigh have promised me a full refund but still waiting on it arriving in my account. I have now purchased a new fantic xf1 180mm travel with the brose motor, my god what a bike, build is excellent, battery range 47 miles compared to 18 on the LP.
LP should do a full product recall on all overvolt as there is a design flaw in the bike.
I have had 3 bikes in 11 months, all of which have cracked.... This is not bad luck or a coincidence, this is fundamental design issues . Rant over now off to ride the fantic. ??

coop69coop

Oct 11, 2018
Bristol
oK, an update on mine ....
My 527 went back to Raleigh as I explained previously, very small crack in the usual place. Raleighs customer service was very good and they did a frame swap , albeit with the higher model frame from the 727, which is still essentially the same frame. it seems they are now very short of these frames.
I feel I need to point out that I have no complaints with the bike at all (apart from the obvious) , I dont have any battery drain issues , infact I ride with a load of levos and kenevos and my battery range compares favourably with these models, at least as good. I never work out actual distance, just comparison to the guys im riding with.
i have had no problems with pivot bearings, I did lose a wheel bearing but it might have actually been my fault. A couple of the pivot bolts have worked loose but as far as I am concerned this is very common on all bikes and you should be checking pivot bolts as a matter of routine.

I have accepted the frame swap and they gave the rest of the bike a service including new chain and jockey wheels, all on the house. This was alll turned round in less than 2 weeks. I almost wanted to be angry but it was very hard to be when the service was very good! cycle republic have been awful though, always deal with Raleigh direct if possible, they dont like it but cycle republic are worse than terrible.

I am now going to keep a very close eye on the frame and I have already stated to them that if there is a similar problem in the future, I will not accept the same model frame back. I purchsed my original 527 16 months ago.

Watch this space ........................

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Weird. That's the first time I've heard anything other than positive reviews about them.

Glad you got it sorted in the end though.

Overtvolt

Dec 15, 2019
Scotland
Hi just looking at the last picture this does not look like a design flaw - more like poor welding technique/set-up. If you look closely you can see there is no weld penetration to the frame tube - the weld is just sitting on top of the tube. The weld is meant to fuse/melt the tubes together. There is no tearing/cracking of the tube material in this picture the weld looks like a bead of mastic on the surface of the tube. I just took delivery of a 927i - hope the welding issues have been sorted !!!
seat post tube.jpg

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Hi just looking at the last picture this does not look like a design flaw - more like poor welding technique/set-up. If you look closely you can see there is no weld penetration to the frame tube - the weld is just sitting on top of the tube. The weld is meant to fuse/melt the tubes together. There is no tearing/cracking of the tube material in this picture the weld looks like a bead of mastic on the surface of the tube. I just took delivery of a 927i - hope the welding issues have been sorted !!!
View attachment 23022
i think that just a dowel on which the outer tube slides over

coop69coop

Oct 11, 2018
Bristol
Well lets see what happens, they said it was a batch issue, which suggests they may have resolved it? I guess they would say that anyway!!

It is a bit strange how they have clearly stopped production , and actually gone away from shimano altogether. For me, the intergrated downtube is one of the best on the market in terms of size, especially considering the designs a few years old now, I think the design is better than many 2020 bikes let alone 19.

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Well lets see what happens, they said it was a batch issue, which suggests they may have resolved it? I guess they would say that anyway!!

It is a bit strange how they have clearly stopped production , and actually gone away from shimano altogether. For me, the intergrated downtube is one of the best on the market in terms of size, especially considering the designs a few years old now, I think the design is better than many 2020 bikes let alone 19.
Yes, let's hope they are sorted, as mention 3 bikes in 12 months all snapped, frame size large on all of them. I am 95kg soaking wet so not the heaviest of people. Good luck

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
just thought I'd revisit this post to see if anyone else is having issues which it looks like they are!! anyway, my second frame is ok so far but the Seatpost was sticking Raliegh and Lapierre were hopeless in advising me how to service it so I took it out to fit a new cable. while the post was out, I took a pic of inside the seat tube. Does this look like quality workmanship to you?

Edit: just comparing my photo with the frames that cracked off completely, it looks like my fame had an offset washer shaped thing in there and not a collar?

IMG_20200209_155011.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles