lapierre overvolt ami627 charging problems

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
hi guys..
need some help from fellow overvolt owners
I have had a ami627 for over 6 months and have had charging issues from day one..
when I leave the carger on for a length of time say 24hrs the light is green so should be fully charged.. I disconnect the charger and re connect it and takes around an hour to go green again (full charge)??????
this does not happen when battery is out of bike.. I can leave it for longer than 24hrs and when disconect and reconnected it goes green in under 10mins....
if the battery is in the bike and I catch it going green or within an hr of it going green disconnect and reconnect its about 10mins .. but if I leave connected it seams to drain????
anyone else noticed anything similar???
PS..
Iv had on warranty a new battery, new charger, new wiring harness and new power button and problem still persists...

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've never tried charging my battery with it in the bike - I always remove it.

But I should be able to test it this weekend and see if anything similar happens for me.

fishcake

Sep 25, 2018
Yorkshire
Yeah I always take the battery out to charge. Never tried to charge on the bike.
Although when mine is fully charged the lights go out.

If you turn on the bike is it showing full bars, and does it show the range you would expect from a fully charged battery or is it reduced?

I wonder if it trickle charges when charged on the bike for some reason.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Yeah I always take the battery out to charge. Never tried to charge on the bike.
Although when mine is fully charged the lights go out.

If you turn on the bike is it showing full bars, and does it show the range you would expect from a fully charged battery or is it reduced?

I wonder if it trickle charges when charged on the bike for some reason.

Yes Budd.. it shows full bars but shortly after riding it drops a bar.. so I'd say it's probably about 85-90% full... If I disconnect the battery within an HR of charging or charge out of the bike it is 100% full...
Also have to edit my post to say from warranty IV had a new battery, new charger, new wiring harness and new power button and still problem persists ....

RRebikes

Jan 4, 2019
Norway
I have a friend with a 727 (2 months old bike) and we are experiencing big variations on the range on the Snake battery, he has also been experiencing variations on when the battery indicator goes down one bar, even riding the same route, in the same mode, there is a big difference when the indicator drops one bar.

after reading this thread today, he took out the charging cable from the bike (battery stays inside the frame) and put it back in, the charger went red, and it took approx 45-50min before the charger went green again.
the charger is rated 4 amps, and if it's charging 45-50min with 4 amps, that's a lot of power that has been drained from the battery/or the charger is cutting the charging to early.
he will now try to take the battery out of the frame for charging and see what's happening then.

But anyway, he is so happy with the bike, that is has ordered one ) 927 and have the 727 as a spare bike if something happens with the 927

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I have a friend with a 727 (2 months old bike) and we are experiencing big variations on the range on the Snake battery, he has also been experiencing variations on when the battery indicator goes down one bar, even riding the same route, in the same mode, there is a big difference when the indicator drops one bar.

after reading this thread today, he took out the charging cable from the bike (battery stays inside the frame) and put it back in, the charger went red, and it took approx 45-50min before the charger went green again.
the charger is rated 4 amps, and if it's charging 45-50min with 4 amps, that's a lot of power that has been drained from the battery/or the charger is cutting the charging to early.
he will now try to take the battery out of the frame for charging and see what's happening then.

But anyway, he is so happy with the bike, that is has ordered one ) 927 and have the 727 as a spare bike if something happens with the 927

Hi Budd...
Sounds like the same issues mate but it's not not reaching full charge it's just when it does reach full charge it seems to drain down to about 85% if charger cable is left in..... If cable is removed at the time of reaching 100% (when light goes green) it's fine but not if it's left in....
Doesn't do it if battery is removed from bike it seems to work as it should ??

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Any joy testing the bike Budd???

Just got back from a (windy!) ride and have it on charge now :) It was down to about 40% so I'll leave it charging in the bike until tomorrow morning which should be long enough to match your case I hope. Then I'll check what % the battery is at and report here.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Just got back from a (windy!) ride and have it on charge now :) It was down to about 40% so I'll leave it charging in the bike until tomorrow morning which should be long enough to match your case I hope. Then I'll check what % the battery is at and report here.

How you gonna check persentage???
U need to disconnect and reconnect the charger and see how long it takes to hit full charge again.. if more than 5-10mins there is a problem ??

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
How you gonna check persentage???
U need to disconnect and reconnect the charger and see how long it takes to hit full charge again.. if more than 5-10mins there is a problem ??

I have the EW-EN100 junction instead of the E8000 display on mine - with a Garmin Edge 1030 it displays the exact battery percentage, which I like. I was planning to check the percentage first and then reconnect the charger to see if it charges again for 10 mins or more like yours.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
I have the EW-EN100 junction instead of the E8000 display on mine - with a Garmin Edge 1030 it displays the exact battery percentage, which I like. I was planning to check the percentage first and then reconnect the charger to see if it charges again for 10 mins or more like yours.

Just looked at your post on that connector ☝️☝️looks interesting ..

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
OK ... charging my battery in the bike seems to work the same as yours! It charged last night and the light went green on the charger. I left it connected to the charger overnight and have checked it just now (approximately 12 hours after it first went green). The charger light was still showing green - I removed the charger cable. I checked the battery percentage and it was showing 89%! I plugged the charger back in and of course it went red and started charging again ...

So somehow it must be discharging the battery by leaving the charger connected to the bike. I noticed the bikes "power on" button stays lit the whole time, but surely that can't be draining 10% battery :ROFLMAO: Never experienced this when charging off the bike, so I'll keep doing it that way!

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
OK ... charging my battery in the bike seems to work the same as yours! It charged last night and the light went green on the charger. I left it connected to the charger overnight and have checked it just now (approximately 12 hours after it first went green). The charger light was still showing green - I removed the charger cable. I checked the battery percentage and it was showing 89%! I plugged the charger back in and of course it went red and started charging again ...

So somehow it must be discharging the battery by leaving the charger connected to the bike. I noticed the bikes "power on" button stays lit the whole time, but surely that can't be draining 10% battery :ROFLMAO: Never experienced this when charging off the bike, so I'll keep doing it that way!

Sorry budd.. but .Great news (for me)
Mine is actually going back to manufacturer for fault so maybe worth logging your issues with your dealership....
Also it's not the powerbutton/light as IV charged it with that disconnect and still does the same ... As iv stated it's got me scratching my head as IV replaced everything it could be ... But as horrible as it sounds I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues ...

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Please update Us on the outcome on the charging problem, Am very interested in the solution Lapierre find

Bike gone back.......my lbs can but the dealer can't replicate the problem (wondering if they are trying it the same way or its getting lost in translation???) ?? but checked the bike over and found a crack.. lapierre is sending a replacement in February .. but really need you guys to report the problems too as they have never heard of it ???.. funny as there are 3 of us on here .....
Thanks
Gareth

Last edited:

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
Guys, i am joining the snake battery issues club. I got a 2018 Overvolt 727i in December 2018 and over 4 rides i judged that the battery life just wasn't as good as a shimano battery (rode 4 times on my mates Merida in November and it would do 25+ miles on trail and boost before it tired). From January I have a 2019 727i and i have had good power range on 3 rides and a lousy range today, dropping a bar in 2.2 miles from setting off! Does the firmware update do anything to help this ?

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
Should i try charging the battery out of the frame and in the warmth of the house instead of in the frame in the garage that was minus 2 last night?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Shimano battery charges from flat to full in 3 hours. Do you guys really have to leave your charger on overnight? Or is that causing the problem?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Should i try charging the battery out of the frame and in the warmth of the house instead of in the frame in the garage that was minus 2 last night?
There was a lengthy thread on here a few weeks ago and it concluded that you should never try to charge a battery when the battery was below zero.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I always charge my snake battery out of the frame (apart from the test I did above) and never had any problems with charge dropping after reaching full charge. When I plug the battery back into the frame it always shows up as 100% or 99% at the start of the ride.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Thanks Mark, i might give that a try.
As mark has said.. it only has the issue when charging in the frame. . Mines still away at dealers as they are replacing the frame due to a crack .. gotta see if the issue is the same when it comes back at the end of February

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Although I am having problems with my charger when the battery (frame or TEC pack) has been exhausted. By exhausted I mean depleted until the motor turns itself off.
It has been accepted as a charger problem and will be replaced under warranty.

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Having the same issues - can deplete the battery in 12 miles, modes used are eco @40%, trail @40% and bOost @20%, ascent 700mtrs, I weigh 88kg so am hardly a huge guy. I have had the battery replaced (yesterday) under warranty and will monitor over the next week or so and let you know how I get on. If it is no better then I will be returning the bike and getting a refund... As it stands it is a great bike but with the battery range at 12 miles if falls way short of expected range of 30-100mile as advertised.

100 Cols

Mar 9, 2018
Côte d'Azur, France
Distance (range) might not be a suitable measure as it heavily depends on everyone's riding terrain and style. It could be easier to compare riding time, i.e. how many hours of riding one gets out of a fully charged battery.

I'm commuting quite a lot with my 827i and getting very consistent results battery wise. As a rule of thumb I'd claim 2 hours when mixed climbing/descending and using the assistance reasonably. Up to 4 hours when going easy eco. These times make sense when you consider that using 250 watts of assistance for 2 hours, that's 2h x 250 W = 500 Wh = empty battery. And 4h x 125 W (half of the motor's nominal power) = 500 Wh = empty battery. My personal record is 80 km with 1700 m climbing on tarmac, on mountain roads https://www.strava.com/activities/1904569773.

If you follow the colored graph on the Shimano display and keep the "bar" low in the horizontal part of the graph, you're riding economically. When the graph ramps up, you're starting to eat the current more heavily. If you keep the color in the graph hitting the ceiling, you're close to 500 watts of assistance, good for only one hour of riding, probably less. (Shimano claims max torque of 70 Nm. At 70 rpm that would be 513 W.)

It's also good to understand, that Boost and Trail can eat the battery as quickly if you've got strong legs: both modes can produce that maximum 70 Nm of torque, it's just that with Boost it's easier to reach that max torque.

PS. 18 psi sounds terribly low tire pressure energy wise.

AK 727i

Feb 2, 2019
London
100 cols, sounds like you have a bit of experience under your wheels. Can I ask what tyre pressures you recommend for a wet and muddy Epping Forest? I have been using 20 front and 22 rear and its nice and grippy. I tried 16 front and 18 rear at the weekend, but think its too low. What are your preferences? I cant seem to get my battery past 24 miles. I drop the first bar at different distances on the same ride in eco;- 2.2, 6 & 1.5 miles. it is so inconsistent. I get to the end of the ride and have one bar that gets me home (3.5 miles mostly downhill), my mates on Merida e bikes with the same shimano set up + shimano clip on batteries have 3 bars left! Trying a different battery tomorrow that has been charged out the frame to see if I can make a difference. I really want to get 30 miles out of the bike with strong battery management (me pedalling say 6 out of 30 miles as its flat or downhill)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles