Lapierre EZesty

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting, not as light as it may have first seemed, but still looks like pretty positive review of the Fazua system in an enduro type platform. I will be keen to see some reviews of the the Bulls Wildflow.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

anybody got a link to geometry chart of this?
And how powerfull is the Fazua in comparisson to the Shimano?

thinking it's gotta be easier sending a broken slot in and out motor back to France in a jiffybag than sending a 50lb bike back to Ireland every 5 months

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester

And how powerfull is the Fazua in comparisson to the Shimano?

thinking it's gotta be easier sending a broken slot in and out motor back to France in a jiffybag than sending a 50lb bike back to Ireland every 5 months
That's a fair point.

Would the small battery also be below the limit for air transportation, opening up travel alternatives to driving

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK

And how powerful is the Fazua in comparisson to the Shimano?
Looks pretty much on the money to me - chainstays are short at 435mm...

1551811187819.png

The Fazua puts out 60Nm of torque, so not hugely less than the Shimano or Bosch. Given how often you ride with yours off ;) it might suit you nicely...

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Really need to stop looking at this thread, could be expensive and hard to explain a new arrival in the garage.
well... when a mummy bike and a daddy bike love each other very much, they go on a very special ride together and nine months later the stork (ups van) brings a brand new bike to live with them. If there is extra special electricity between mummy bike and daddy bike then a ebike is born.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Does anyone know the max rider weight of this?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
well... when a mummy bike and a daddy bike love each other very much, they go on a very special ride together and nine months later the stork (ups van) brings a brand new bike to live with them. If there is extra special electricity between mummy bike and daddy bike then a ebike is born.

And I call it Zesty, I’d prefer a much shorter gestation period.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Looks pretty much on the money to me - chainstays are short at 435mm...
Yeah. I'm definitely a fan of shorter stays on most bikes. a few of mine have sub 400mm stays. But I'm not sure properly short is what I'd want on an emtb. BB could be definitely be a fair bit lower but it's not exactly high.

The Fazua puts out 60Nm of torque, so not hugely less than the Shimano or Bosch. Given how often you ride with yours off ;) it might suit you nicely...
Yeah. with only a 250wh battery it'd definitely need to be ridden switched off for part of every hilly ride. The fact that I can drain a 504wh battery in an hour in some of the steeper terrain I ride this means it's a bit of a dealbreaker TBH. If only it came with a 500wh battery option :(

The bike comes with space for a bottle and mounts. I really wouldn't ever carry a bottle (and don't ever carry a pack). Would be cool if an extra 250wh pack could be fitted instead?.
Lapierre-E-Zesty-AM-News-15-von-25-810x540.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why is the bike not featured on Lapierre's website?
I thought someone on here already had one?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
A quick comparison using the BH Carbon bike used on the same track and the LaPierre as per the tests on that site shows a significant difference in performance. While the LaPierre is 10lbs. lighter it is slower with less range/elevation gain and in fact several time it was mentioned that it lacked uphill strength whereas the BH was listed as not lacking at all.

Zesty:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.11.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.09.27 PM.png

12.8mph @ 15.5wh/mi

BH:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.10.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 5.10.51 PM.png

15mph @ 24wh/mi Above climbing says 3 ft. but should be 3450' of elevation, twice as much as the Zesty.

Not surprising given that the Fazua system is not as powerful as the Brose M and the battery a third of the wh's. You could carry extra batteries to extend the range of the Zesty but unfortunately you can't add more watts of power.

Plenty of other factors, especially overall expectations of handling, involved and I am sure the OP likes his bike and wish him the best of trail miles with it. I ride eBikes for their ability to substantially overachieve my personal efforts, climbing especially, so I don't think the Zesty would be the bike for me.

Minikeum

Oct 29, 2020
Switzerland
Hi guys,

could any eZesty owner share their thoughts and experiences on this bike? I’m interested in purchasing one, as my first ebike!

I live in Switzerland, and the climbs here are steep and long. Most of my ride consists of one long painful climb on a boring mountain road, followed by one long descent. im having more and more difficulty finding motivation to suffer for 1 hour or so for less than 10min descent.

Anyway, the objective of that bike is more to ease my ride, rather than going further and faster. Sure if I can do that it would be nice, but it’s not the main objective.

Before anybody mention them: I am not interested in a Specialized Levo SL or Orbea Rise! ;)

cheers

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Hi guys,

could any eZesty owner share their thoughts and experiences on this bike? I’m interested in purchasing one, as my first ebike!

I live in Switzerland, and the climbs here are steep and long. Most of my ride consists of one long painful climb on a boring mountain road, followed by one long descent. im having more and more difficulty finding motivation to suffer for 1 hour or so for less than 10min descent.

Anyway, the objective of that bike is more to ease my ride, rather than going further and faster. Sure if I can do that it would be nice, but it’s not the main objective.

Before anybody mention them: I am not interested in a Specialized Levo SL or Orbea Rise! ;)

cheers

I have a current eZesty AM9.0 (with many upgrades). For comparison I also have two Shimano E8000 bikes (E160-900plus a hardtail) and a Cairn 01 e-Gravel bike with a Fazua motor. One of the main reasons I chose the LaPierre was because I already had a Fazua bike and could share batteries. My only accoustic MTB is a Trek Fuel EX8 that I haven't ridden in two years (since I got my e160).

I really like the bike. It's not a full Enduro bomber but it's a great alrounder. You'll definitely get up hills a lot easier than an accoustic. It'll halve your climbing time at least. Just be aware if you turn it all the way up it will eat through the battery. At lower power it lasts a couple of hours.

You can't change the rear shock to something with a piggy back. You will use the lockout switch on the rear shock on long climbs. Fazuas current remote is clunky (there's a new slimmer version coming). You can only customise the bike using a PC (but it's very customisable). The 125mm dropper on the medium is too short.

The motor is super quiet. There's almost zero drag above the assist cutoff. Power delivery feels more like a perfect tailwind than a motor. It's more agile than my full fat EMTB. It only fits a 450ml water bottle.

I really like my e-Zesty.

Gordon

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
E zesty looks sweet. I'd like one for ripping around my xc haunts with the occasional alpine excursion. For long steep climbs getting good dh laps i think i'd want my full powah emtb though. I'm finding that i'd like a touch more torque than my e8000's tourque as well. Just a touch more for tech climbing sections so i can feather the output use the "trail" or "emtb" tourque sensor reliant modes and still have full power when i need it. Currently i'm needing boost one moment then needing more power modulation the next moment or the tire spins out in the super slick conditions. I use my rear brake to modulate the full power in boost . Full power emtb's give you more options i think. Not that i don't want a light/sl type emtb but that would be my secondary emtb. Full power with atleast 160mm rear travel covers a lot of terrain

Minikeum

Oct 29, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for the feedbacks!

Can I ask what upgrades you did on your eZesty?

the shock, and suspension system more generally, is actually my biggest concern. Apparently there is too little support, quite a lot of wallowing, and pedal strikes. Reading this I would suspect a compression setting too light, which could be fixed by a custom tune (I had similar issue with my mtb and a custom tune helped a lot with poor support and pedal strikes). Have you ever considered this?

also, reviews mention creaking noise from the rear suspension on wet and muddy rides. Have you ever experienced this?

in any case, I will wait for the end of November, for the now canceled eurobike. You can find online the 2021 Lapierre range, but the eZesty has not been updated since its presentation at eurobike 2018, not even the components. So I’m wondering if Lapierre had an update planned for eurobike.

thanks!

Minikeum

Oct 29, 2020
Switzerland
Apparently the suspension platform is good, and the problem is the shock:

good anti squat, medium kickback, low brake squat, and slightly progressive suspension.

so really we need to find a replacement shock :)

EDIT: I’m wondering if the Ohlins TTX air wouldn’t fit? The piggyback is not so big. How close is the shock to the frame when the suspension is compressed?

Ohlins-ttx-air-ammortizzatore1.jpg

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks for the feedbacks!

Can I ask what upgrades you did on your eZesty?

the shock, and suspension system more generally, is actually my biggest concern. Apparently there is too little support, quite a lot of wallowing, and pedal strikes. Reading this I would suspect a compression setting too light, which could be fixed by a custom tune (I had similar issue with my mtb and a custom tune helped a lot with poor support and pedal strikes). Have you ever considered this?

also, reviews mention creaking noise from the rear suspension on wet and muddy rides. Have you ever experienced this?

in any case, I will wait for the end of November, for the now canceled eurobike. You can find online the 2021 Lapierre range, but the eZesty has not been updated since its presentation at eurobike 2018, not even the components. So I’m wondering if Lapierre had an update planned for eurobike.

thanks!

Upgrades. Where do I start?
* Full AXS X01 drivetrain.
* 160mm Lyrik ultimate 2021.
* A pair of older AM Classic Smokin Gun wheels.
* AXS dropper.
* XTR 4 pot brakes.
*EDC headset tool.
*Fidlock bottle cage.
*Oury fat grips.
*Renthal 30mm Carbon riser bars.
*Praxis 160mm carbon cranks.
*Aggressor on rear. Assegai on front.

So, basically everything except the rear shock. I may swap that out for the Factoy version (I have the AM 9.0 so I have the lower version shock) and get a tune. There are no local tuners so it is a bit of a trek to get it done though. Always wanted to do a *dream* bike build. This is it. Happy with every decision so far.

I don't hate the shock. (Didn't hate the fork either but wanted 160mm and I can service Shram myself). I't what I'd call, Very plush. :) With my riding I don't bottom out a huge amount (techy XC and gravity tracks but not full on enduro or downhill) and the rear grip going down hill is really good. It just lacks some support in the mid stroke and is pretty average on long bumpy uphill climbs. I haven't even stuck a token in it yet though. Need to do that. A lot is to do with the seat angle. When I'm out of the saddle it feels good. I like plush. I'm getting older..... When I'm seated a lot I want that switch closed...

Had a creak/click. Drove me bonkers. Eventually found that one of the links on the rear triangle had loosened a bit. Greased, torqued and some thread lock and my bike is very very quiet. I hate noisy bikes. If you back pedal the BB clicks. Sometimes also a couple of clicks when you stop pedaling (I don't think it's as bad as Rob did in his video). Mostly it's a very quiet bike.

Haven't ridden much in muddy conditions. I'm in Oz. Not our natural riding conditions. Dust, rock and sand is more my riding.

Gordon

Minikeum

Oct 29, 2020
Switzerland
Sounds like a dream build for sure!

I could very well be wrong, but I don’t think there is any difference between the factory Fox DPS and the performance one, beside the Kashima coating.
maybe the tune differs?

what do you think about the wheelset on the AM 9.0? Good quality? Not too heavy? Stiff enough? Good engagement of the freewheel?
by the way some people have mentioned that the rear tire can rub on the stays, when flexing too much. Do you have any trace of that? I’ve got bad experience with such phenomenon on my first and only carbon bike: the tire rubbed enough to dig a hole in the carbon... I don’t want that to happen on a 6000€ bike!

thanks

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The original wheels are sturdy but heavy(ish). About 2250 grams for the set from memory. The NX casette is 630 grams so it adds up to a burly back wheel. My current wheels are 1700 grams for the set so the heavy NX cassette doesn't bother me too much. However I might eventually try a lighter cassette to see how well it wears. Freewheel is fine. Remember there's a bit of play in the Fazua BB by design so engagement isn't the fastest. But it doesn't bother me.

No problems with rear tyre rubbing, for me. I did have to re-torque all the bolts on the rear triangle, twice as they loosened a bit. Keep an eye out for that. Some thread locker fixed that. It is a compliant rear end though.

I'll try a couple of tokins before I change the shock. That may be all it needs.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles