Kona Remote 160?

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
Hi guys, do any of you have any experience of the new kona 160? It fits my budget but id be disappointed in the basic suspension spec ! I would appreciate some feedback
thanks
David.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Mostly Specialized fanboys on here ? If it’s a Process with an e8000 motor you can’t go wrong.

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
Mostly Specialized fanboys on here ? If it’s a Process with an e8000 motor you can’t go wrong.
I was trying to figure if it was a lack of Kona fans or my obvious newbie-ness that was stopping folk from replying :-( Yea, apparently its a Process with a wee bit more travel and wee bit of assistance on the up bit. I haven't ridden one and was looking a little feedback. cheers for the reply.

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
It is a fine bike! Fits 29x2.5/2.6 as well, short stays, proper reach and stack height. A real trail bike like a Process 153 with an e8000

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
I’ve got a Kona process 153 29er and it’s a great bike,
I bought it this year to replace a 15yr old Kona Dawg
but my focus Sam2 easier on the uphills :)
Also got a 1997 kona Cindercone, so deff a kona fan
Would have be prob tried the Kona remote 160 if it had existed when I was ebike shopping, might try one out sometime

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
I’ve got a Kona process 153 29er and it’s a great bike,
I bought it this year to replace a 15yr old Kona Dawg
but my focus Sam2 easier on the uphills :)
Also got a 1997 kona Cindercone, so deff a kona fan
Would have be prob tried the Kona remote 160 if it had existed when I was ebike shopping, might try one out sometime

sparrow

Mar 22, 2019
Rivendell123
Cheers mate. Was thinking if i buy it id put a 29" wheel in the front. ?
Fits most 2.6/2.5 29er outback too! It’s a sweet machine. Surely a 600+ battery will be available for e8000 from Shimano sooner than later. And it sounds like e9000 will have that. Doesn’t matter much on 90% of my rides.

I’ll bet a higher spec 29er build will come out of the Remote 160, too.

I just wish Kona would’ve named it the Stink-E!!

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
what year is your "sam"? My LBS is trying to steer me towards one... are you happy with it?

This years model, 2019. It’s a great bike and I like flexibility’s of lighter bike with 378wh and TEC pack for longer rides.
Good handling bike, and handles gnarly trails well and big Scottish mountain days too.
Had issues with a snapped shock bolt, but think this isn’t resolved now after L S fitted new shock mounting hardware.

But now 600wh bikes are coming out, so envious.
But 378wh is enough for a 2hr -2.5 hr ride for me, and double upto 760 is with the TEC, pack, but the bike handles differently when TEC pack fitted so a comprimise.

Namrorrim

Apr 30, 2019
Australia
I did a shop test ride of a kona remote 160 last weekend, as soon as I sat on it I knew I wanted it. Will have it next weekend, will give more info after a proper ride.

I felt at home just sitting on it, I have a 2016 process 134 and a Honzo, bit of a fanboi but the 2019 Remote Ctrl didn't do it for me.

Also tried the Merida 160 9000 which also felt good, but not as familiar.

EbikeCurious

Aug 8, 2019
USA
I have had one for a little over 3 months now and have gotten somewhere around 450 miles on mine so far. Use it for a mix of commuting and cross country to enduro style trails. Really fun bike...feels like a bit of a beefier and slightly more capable Process 153 (I have a 27.5 version of the 153 too). Surprisingly fun on flat and green style stuff but really comes to life on fast, steep, techs stuff. Really good jumper (at least for my dodgy skills), and has handled drops up to about 7ish feet no problem.

If you get one, make sure and loctite every bolt. Had some back out initially but not since I had the loctite done.

It can fit up to 29 x 2.5 rear and has a 29/plus fork so will fit maybe up to a 29 x 2.6 front from what I’ve heard. I’m still running the stock 27.5 x 2.8s with no issues for now.

The shortish rear end is really nice for more playfulness (435 mm) but still feels stable. I’m a RS fan, so the suspension is fine for me....

Last edited:

David Dobson

Nov 9, 2019
Ireland
Thanks for the comments guys, i decided to pull the trigger on one and it has arrived with the LBS. Vigorously trying to gather up the money now. Have taken the "loctite" advice on board.
Cheers
David.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Hope you are enjoying your bike, l bought one of these a couple months ago (NOS 2020 model) and have already put around 350 miles on it.

The only issue l had with it, is the rear brake cable quickly rubbed the paint off the inside of the swingarm

You need to put a protective patch on there, although l guess you figured that out ages ago now.

l would be interested to know how you are getting on with the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles