Knocking sound from within the Decoy frame

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Has anyone experience of a knocking/ clunking sound coming from within the Decoy frame? It’s definitely louder if the battery is removed, I’m wondering if it’s the cables hitting the frame. I’ve wrapped three sections of cables in the down tube with a Lizard Skin but this hasn’t improved matters. I’m still thinking it’s a cable rattling against the carbon frame, but I can’t locate it. Unfortunately I can’t upload a video file to show the noise.
Any suggestions from someone who may have fixed a similar issue would be greatly appreciated

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
On mine it was the main battery cable clunking about in the down tube above the battery slot. There is a kind of wire frame truss above the slot which i pushed some foam through to wedge the cable which cured it.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I posted about a mysterious noise and on my frame it turned out to be 2 dry pivot axles and locking cap (#21 & #25 in drawing), added liberal amounts of grease and the noise stopped. Mine sounded more like a high pitched pop than a clunk though
decoy_pivot_axles.png

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
I’ve had two issues with noises on the Decoy. First, was the headset. It was cut so close that the top cap was bottoming out on the steering tube. So, even though it’s tight, it still had a little play in the headset. Which would only make noise on the choppy stuff. Second, was exactly what Squeegee pointed out on the diagram. Creaking and popping noise while under heavy pedaling load. Remedy by removing pivot bolts and greasing. Although, I did think I was starting to hear it again already.

bryancls

Sep 2, 2019
California
Has anyone experience of a knocking/ clunking sound coming from within the Decoy frame? It’s definitely louder if the battery is removed, I’m wondering if it’s the cables hitting the frame. I’ve wrapped three sections of cables in the down tube with a Lizard Skin but this hasn’t improved matters. I’m still thinking it’s a cable rattling against the carbon frame, but I can’t locate it. Unfortunately I can’t upload a video file to show the noise.
Any suggestions from someone who may have fixed a similar issue would be greatly appreciated

I had the same concern when I was building up my decoy from the box, my friend check the fork and head tube and looks like that is were the sound is coming from. We were able to tighten it and the sound is gone.

Maybe something to check just incase its the same issue I had.

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
Just wanted to say that I was getting a creak after about 1000 miles and tried squeegees advice and the creak is gone.

One tip that would have helped me: to remove the pivots you first unscrew the hex cap screw, then use a larger driver to unscrew the pivot.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
Do you know if the grease in the sachet that comes with the decoy is suitable for putting on these pivots?

Last edited:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Do you know if the grease in the sachet that comes with the decoy is suitable for putting on these pivots?
Not sure what grease it is you refer to because mine did not come with grease, but, would recommend a synthetic and waterproof grease such as Maxima/Motorex/Triflow/Slick Honey, brand does not matter, but avoid lithium grease or anti slip paste.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
ah yes its anti slip paste that comes with it. What is that stuff for?

Ill get some grease thanks! Which areas do i want to be applying it to from the diagram above?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
parts with arrows pointing to them, reread post as well. Anti-slip usually for seatpost but have not used myself

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Just wanted to say that I was getting a creak after about 1000 miles and tried squeegees advice and the creak is gone.

One tip that would have helped me: to remove the pivots you first unscrew the hex cap screw, then use a larger driver to unscrew the pivot.

yes, for each axle first remove the M5 (metric 5mm) bolt, then the cap (#21 and #25) using a 5mm but pry it off because it is not threaded (insert 5mm wrench on cap an pry laterally). Then the axles themselves take an 8mm wrench. After grease application reinstall and follow torque specs for M8 axle and then M5 bolt (yes you need a torque wrench with metric head sockets). Diagram and torque specs are on YT website. "Torque wrench" that comes with bike only has up to 6mm.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
On the axles or caps? or both?
yes, for each axle first remove the M5 (metric 5mm) bolt, then the cap (#21 and #25) using a 5mm but pry it off because it is not threaded (insert 5mm wrench on cap an pry laterally). Then the axles themselves take an 8mm wrench. After grease application reinstall and follow torque specs for M8 axle and then M5 bolt (yes you need a torque wrench with metric head sockets). Diagram and torque specs are on YT website. "Torque wrench" that comes with bike only has up to 6mm.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
On the axles or caps? or both?
if you mean where to grease both caps and axles, even apply to frame to make sure you have grease on all surfaces. I like to use a grease brush. If you see loctite on M5 bolt threads, be sure to reapply new.

Brunoj

Jul 16, 2020
Uk
I had the same concern when I was building up my decoy from the box, my friend check the fork and head tube and looks like that is were the sound is coming from. We were able to tighten it and the sound is gone.

Maybe something to check just incase its the same issue I had.

Hi what did you tighten to get rid of the noise? Mine does this knock or rattle noise when the front wheel is lifted and then dropped.
It’s probably the forks but it’s worth a check.
(Brand new out of the box)
Please check the video:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi what did you tighten to get rid of the noise? Mine does this knock or rattle noise when the front wheel is lifted and then dropped.
It’s probably the forks but it’s worth a check.
(Brand new out of the box)
Please check the video:
[/QUOTE

Check headset and cables behind the battery.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
It’s probably the cables rattling on the inside of the frame. I bought some fish tank filter foam and stuffed it behind the battery terminals. This prevents the cables from moving about as they are held against the frame. Rattle has now gone

Brunoj

Jul 16, 2020
Uk
It’s probably the cables rattling on the inside of the frame. I bought some fish tank filter foam and stuffed it behind the battery terminals. This prevents the cables from moving about as they are held against the frame. Rattle has now gone

thx I’ll try that! On the top right?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've had a similar noise from headtube area several times in the past. Has always been dust accumulation or dirt that seeps in. Happens in wet/muddy riding conditions and also when very dry and dusty. What works for me is removing fork to clean and grease headset bearing cups and race, I go fairly heavy with the grease and wipe away excess after reassembly.

Brunoj

Jul 16, 2020
Uk
I've had a similar noise from headtube area several times in the past. Has always been dust accumulation or dirt that seeps in. Happens in wet/muddy riding conditions and also when very dry and dusty. What works for me is removing fork to clean and grease headset bearing cups and race, I go fairly heavy with the grease and wipe away excess after reassembly.

the bike is brand new out of the box, I haven’t ridden it yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles