Knocking/Clicking noise from the motor

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
My 2019 S-Works Levo has just developed a strange knocking noise that seems to be coming for the crank and motor area. When peddled under load the clicking/knocking noise is quite audible. At first I thought is was the chain rubbing or the cover etc but none of these. The frequency of the knocking is quite fast and suggest its inside the motor. I will be taking it in to the local concept store soon but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue? It's been brilliant up to a week ago and this is quite frustrating. It make the noise with the motor on and off!

Zbolena

Oct 10, 2019
United States
I purchased my 2019 Levo Comp about 3 months ago and it now has about 883 miles on it and it has developed a knocking/clicking noise coming from the motor but only when it is on. I have tested this several times where as soon as I turn off the assistance the knocking stops so I know it is coming from the motor. Sometimes when I back peddle the knocking may stop but starts back up after a while.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
my bike did that with 1750 miles on it, it happened one morning and was not really rideable with the motor turned on, felt like the belt slipping, needed new motor

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Check the chain guide has not slipped down. It will look right, but move out of the way to eliminate.
Pedals can click too, so pedal with one foot to isolate either side.
I’ve also broken a rear inner wheel axle and that can click too.

Zbolena

Oct 10, 2019
United States
Check the chain guide has not slipped down. It will look right, but move out of the way to eliminate.
Pedals can click too, so pedal with one foot to isolate either side.
I’ve also broken a rear inner wheel axle and that can click too.
Thanks for the recommendation but the noise cuts out as soon as I turn the motor off while peddling. I’ve tested this several times to make sure it was the motor.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the recommendation but the noise cuts out as soon as I turn the motor off while peddling. I’ve tested this several times to make sure it was the motor.

Exact same thing happened to me and I ended up with a new motor

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I was replying to the Op but now I check the date I see you have dug up an old thread. ?‍♂️

Master_G

Oct 13, 2019
Gloucester
Mine was rear wheel hub bearing, nipped it up a tiny bit and it's been fine since.. the wheel would rock left to right almost an unnoticeable amount but you could feel it and hear it

Alpman

Oct 21, 2019
Annecy France
My 2019 S-Works Levo has just developed a strange knocking noise that seems to be coming for the crank and motor area. When peddled under load the clicking/knocking noise is quite audible. At first I thought is was the chain rubbing or the cover etc but none of these. The frequency of the knocking is quite fast and suggest its inside the motor. I will be taking it in to the local concept store soon but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue? It's been brilliant up to a week ago and this is quite frustrating. It make the noise with the motor on and off!
I have the same thing on my 2020 S-Works Levo. Discussed and demonstrated it to the bike shop and they assured me it is normal. The sound is hard to describe. Not exactly knocking or ticking - more like coffee percolating.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
@Zbolena, I have the exact issue. Did it end up in a failure, or did you have the motor replaced?
I've put a good 200 miles since it started, but I'm afraid of a total failure.
I do not feel anything in the pedals
Mine is exactly as you describe. I happens exclusively when the motor is on.
It comes and goes during my rides.
This video here is about as bad as I've heard it.
For diagnostic purposes, I've tried my spare wheel, cassette, chain etc.

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
Turned out to be a worn chainring in the end! It did sound like it was the motor though. The noise was caused by ’chain suck’ and the the links then releasing from the worn teeth. I replaced it with an inexpensive Hope one and problem solved. Note to self, check for chain wear more frequently!

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
Turned out to be a worn chainring in the end! It did sound like it was the motor though. The noise was caused by ’chain suck’ and the the links then releasing from the worn teeth. I replaced it with an inexpensive Hope one and problem solved. Note to self, check for chain wear more frequently!
Hmm, in my case, I have a new Woolf Stainless Steel chain ring, and the sound goes away when I turn off the motor.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
So my motor let go today. It free spins and offers no support. This would be my 4th motor. This particular bike is a warranty replacement bike I got at the end of Jan and has 800 miles on it. My 1st bike had lost 3 motors before it was completely replaced as a result of a few simultaneous problems.

Silver Lining: I still Love the bike and Specialized is pretty awesome about warranty repair.

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
@Zbolena, I have the exact issue. Did it end up in a failure, or did you have the motor replaced?
I've put a good 200 miles since it started, but I'm afraid of a total failure.
I do not feel anything in the pedals
Mine is exactly as you describe. I happens exclusively when the motor is on.
It comes and goes during my rides.
This video here is about as bad as I've heard it.
For diagnostic purposes, I've tried my spare wheel, cassette, chain etc.

I have a similar problem in my 2021 sworks levo.. Wth??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles