Kneepads-What a minefield

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'm looking for recommendations before I waste any more money. I have been using a pair of Dakine Slayers for almost a year. They were perfect with regard to fit and protection, unfortunately the compound inside the knee area has shifted making them both bulky and uncomfortable. I replaced them with a pair of ION K-Zip but they simply did not suit me. I found the zip annoying to use and when standing upright a cavity was formed between the patella and the pad making it feel very insecure and too big. They were also very warm so I sold them on. I now have a pair of Fox Launchpad's but these too feel a little warm and bulky but not as bad as the ION's. I've looked at the lighter Fox pads but these seem to offer very minimal protection. I ride mostly blue and red trails so not too hardcore so I'm thinking D30 rather than a hard outer shell. I know I'm asking for the holy grail but I want something unobtrusive, light and airy but offering a reasonable amount of protection. IXS carve seem to be well thought of but the light grey colour looks very impractical.

Al

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Let me know when you find something decent ..as mentioned on a previous thread stay clear of the latest Dainese Trail Skins ..what used to be an excellent pad now spoilt ..

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Have a look at the Bliss Arg Minimalist pads, both elbow and knee.
The bright blue colour puts me off a little but they do seem to get good reviews with regard to comfort so I will keep them in mind. The blue of the Bliss and the grey of the Carves are not show stoppering features but I would prefer black.

Al

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I. IXS carve seem to be well thought of but the light grey colour looks very impractical.

Al

The newer ( grey) ixs carve seem tighter at the calf than the older ( black) ones from 2/3 years ago. I'm fairly sure it's not just me being used to my older / floppy set and then disliking the fit of a new product . It's definitely not my quads getting bigger . Pitty, they were great knee guards

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've had the POC joint air VPD one's for two years now and can't fault them , I've washed them numerous times but never go out of shape ? saved my knees quite a few times with big impacts ? they can get a wee bit sweaty but not really noticeable

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I've used POC's which are as comfy as hell but ended up wanting some hardshell protection, but without being bulky/uncomfortable. I ended up with Leatt 3DF 6.0 which I have to say are utterly brilliant.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All my armour is Leatt. My kneepads are the zipped ones which I prefer so they can be put on and taken off without having to remove shoes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles