Knee replacement and knee pads.

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
I'm getting a full knee replacement in three weeks. I intend to carry on riding once I've recovered from the op and want to get some knee pads to give the knee some protection. Is there anyone out there who has had this op and what kneepads, if any do you use. Recommendations please.

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
I'm getting a full knee replacement in three weeks. I intend to carry on riding once I've recovered from the op and want to get some knee pads to give the knee some protection. Is there anyone out there who has had this op and what kneepads, if any do you use. Recommendations please.

I had a replacement 2years ago and wear a thinner pair of Daianase (sp) for general riding and wear a heavier pair of Race Face for quicker or rocky areas.
The knee recovered well although was taking ages with the first physio who had a very gentle ‘don’t go into pain’ theory. I change physio to a guy pushed it more but made much better progress.

Good luck with the op.

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Thanks for the info. Always a bit scary not knowing what the outcome will be but I fully intend to be back riding within a reasonable time limit.

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
Thanks for the info. Always a bit scary not knowing what the outcome will be but I fully intend to be back riding within a reasonable time limit.
I think to get the best results you have to put time into the physio. You’ll be back before you know it.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
My son, who has raced DH has tried many different kneepads. He rates ION pads and bought me a pair as he thinks these are most comfortable, stay in place well and have the sort of foam that is soft but goes harder on impact. I had a knee replacement 5 months ago and I wear them all the time. Although I can sometimes feel the scar it’s not painful at all. I also have a Troy Lee pair with hard plastic exterior. These also work well and protect the lower leg better but they don’t stay in place as well as the ION ones. Incidentally, mountain biking (on my Kenevo) is one of the things I can do best after my knee replacement - knee feels very stable standing in the pedals going downhill, even in rocky and technical terrain. Only drawback is I can’t easily pedal with seat in lower position (I think I have about 120 degree of flex now) - I have to raise it but fortunately with dropper post this is easy. I still can’t walk very far without knee aching and still need the occasional pain killer. Everybody is different and you can’t really compare your recovery with others. And it is normal to hurt! For many for quite a long time. Patience, not overdoing it and a good physio really helps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles