knee pad recommendation?

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
Personally I use RaceFace Ambush D3O knee pads, I chose them because they're one of the few pads which go on/off without needing to take your shoe off and they include 'proper' armour (same stuff you get in motorbike gear). Only downside is that the D3O isn't removable, so you can only machine wash them a finite number of times before they're toast - but I expect they'll have worn out before that happens in my case :)

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Looking for a knee/shin pad combo, anyone want to recommend what they're favorite is? Thought about the G-form.
It all depends on how much protection you need. The RaceFace pads probably have more protection than most though they are bulky for that reason. i Tried on four different brand from online shopping before settling.
i thought the ixs carve evo pads had lots of protection, were comfortable, but not to bulky. Though you MUST go a size larger than normal. They would be ideal for potential hard collisions.
for lighter pads I ended up going with 7 Protection - Sam Hill Knee They don't slip and have long coverage. You don't notice them on and are great for pedalling, but they are for trail riding mishaps and not for tree collisions!

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’ve tried so many pads, including the race face. Love the fact that they can be worn without taking off shoes. But damn they are hot. Might be perfect for winter use.
I ended up with Leatt airflex pro. It doesn’t protect shin, so I got TSG shin protection separately that I can use if I feel I need to. The Leatt airflex pro is probably the best in comfort and cool. I’ve also tried POC, among other brand. However, POC recently released their air VPD that I haven’t tried.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Troy Lee Designs 5450 Long Knee Guards : for general rides
Raceface ambush d3 : for uplift days !

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
I'm currently using the IXS Carve Evo+, fairly light and well ventilated, forget that I'm wearing them on rides where we've pedaled 20+ miles.
IXS uses their own version of the 3DO foam material that hardens on impact. They have decent coverage on the sides of your knees and cover the upper portion of your shins.

Only drawbacks are it is a sleeve style kneepad so you'll have to put them on before your shoes and the mesh material behind the knees is not as robust as the rest of the materials used on the kneepad. I've managed to put a small tear in the mesh after about 2 months of use.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles