Knee and Elbow pads - help!

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I would take a visit to your local bikeshop and try some on as they differ quite a bit depending on the brand. I'm a midget but run medium or large pads due to my calves. I think in the past i've run pads on the tighter side, and they do get very uncomfortable if they are too small. Fox fit me well.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You can look on the internet like I did and procrastinate for hours or just order a few pairs of what you like the look of, keep what fits and send the rest back.
What fits and is comfortable for one person might not be any good for you.
For what it’s worth I settled with Ion K-Pact zip knee pads and Poc vpd 2.0 elbow pads. I love the knee pads, they’re really easy to get on and off because of the zip and they’re comfortable enough to make me more likely to actually put them on. I generally only use the elbow pads for bike park days.

Both wife and I have POC Joint VPD 2.0 knee and elbow. Can't fault them.

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
IXS are the best and most comfortable pads IMO. Everyone has move to them in our crew.

Which model did you choose?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm still looking for elbow pads. I've been doing some research. So far what I've found is that soft pads on elbows don't stay in place when they are needed. This seems to be just with elbow pads. Lots of feedback out there from people who have come off, and so far it isn't brand specific (many different brands). This isn't just for mtb; e scooter and e unicycle as well. The following video is pretty typical of what I've found - the pads move.

Last edited:

milkandrelish

Nov 29, 2022
Arcata, CA
I'm still looking for elbow pads. I've been doing some research. So far what I've found is that soft pads on elbows don't stay in place when they are needed. This seems to be just with elbow pads. Lots of feedback out there from people who have come off, and so far it isn't brand specific (many different brands). This isn't just for mtb; e scooter and e unicycle as well.
I ended up getting a SixSixOne Reacon Advanced long sleeve instead of elbow pads. It's quite comfortable and light, and has strong elbow, shoulder and back protection and a bit of chest/rib padding.

Not cheap, but a nice piece of gear that's easy to slip on and off.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I ended up getting a SixSixOne Reacon Advanced long sleeve instead of elbow pads. It's quite comfortable and light, and has strong elbow, shoulder and back protection and a bit of chest/rib padding.

Not cheap, but a nice piece of gear that's easy to slip on and off.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in summer now; I think with some elbow pads I'll be fine. I always have a day pack with water and other stuff so my back is always covered - I know this works from experience :oops:. I've never hit ribs etc; just knees, shins (pedals), elbows and hips.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles