Kindernay XIV my experience so far

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Hi,

So, I actually bought the Kindernay for another bike, but since i have a new one i decided to try it out with that.

I was about to get a Rohloff but Rohloff does not allow the online Sale of the hub you can adapt to 142/148mm.
They are only to be sold localy and the dealer needs a certain toolkit from Rohloff to measure out what adapter you need.
Have no Rohloff dealer anywhere near so Kindernay was basically the only option.

I bought it from Kindernay Shop was the only dealer i found within the EU.
The owner André gave me great support and also provides a wheel-building service.

If you are interested in Kindernay this Thread : DIY Kindernay XIV gear hub installation - EMTB Forums
by TPEHAK might be a useful resource.

General Information:

Kindernay has two hubs one for 135,142 and 148mm and a Fatbike Version.

The hub can be converted by changing the endcaps kits available by Kindernay.

One side is the black part of the actuator of the shifting unit can be easily changed by unscrewing a torx head screw
– just press it together because it has springs inside.

The other side needs a puller tool (included in the Conversion Kit).
Once you got the endcap off you can also change the torque Arm.

Kindernay has two sizes of torque arms the longer (black) comes standard with the 216mm disc.
Depending on the mount it can be to long.

kinder22.jpg

There are also two torque arm adapters one for 148 and the other for the rest.

The kindernay hast 14 evenly spread out gears with 543% range.

It comes with a 16t sprocket but can be used with 14,15,16 or 18t sprocket.
(Shimano CS-MX66 for BMX)

Since we are used to cassettes these are the equivalent numbers:

14T is equal to a 9.5-51.5T cassette.
15T is equal to a 10-55T cassette
16T is equal to a 10.8-58.8T cassette
18T is equal to a 12.1-65.9 cassette

95830670_3446748612006938_4235203173968510976_n.jpg

source Kindernay/Facebook

Kindernay offers 3 Swap cages 28,32 and 36 spokes and a 32 for the fatbike version.
Swap cage is hold by 7 bolts that also hold the disc rotor.

Kindernay recommends 10 or 11x chains. 12x could be to narrow for the cog and 9x are probably too wide since there is not a lot of room between the cog and the actuator, apparently a Gates belt is possible too.

Documentation:

Information is certainly out the accessibility could be better, some is outdated.
Personally did not know that there are two sizes of torque arms (its certainly needed but I did not think about it)
another adapter etc.
Kindernay has a youtube channel online documents and printouts that come with the products.
However the printouts where outdated or wrong
(said hub comes with 14t cog – is thankfully a 16 now also in the 148mm adapter Kit it says the torque arm is included – it is not.
The Kindernay youtube video for the oil change also left out the flush ride the user should perform according to their own guideline.
So there is quite some room for improvements.

Installation:

If the configuration is correct installation of the hub is pretty easy, its a little different as with cassette but not a big deal.
Since you need to pull off the actuator you need some extra length to get the hub out of the first and than detach the actuator.
Internal routing in the downtube was pretty easy on my bike just had to drill a hole in the motor cover.

I had a Disc mounted magnet for the speed sensor, so I just tried to mount a magnet on the kindernay disc.
With the torque arm adapter you have limited space for the magnet. Although my 10x3 magnet looked good at home
had a couple of problems with the speed sensor while riding. Turned out that this was because the magnet was too far
away from the sensor so I did offset the sensor towards the disc and it runs just fine since then.

kinder21.jpg

Shifting/Operation of the Kindernay hub

The HYSEQ shifting unit is a hydraulic shifting system with one lever on the left side and one right.
This will collide with shifter style seatpost remotes. PRO has one also found KS which is compatible with the ODI lock on grips I use.

Since the shifters are Hydraulic so you don't have the clicks built in to the shifters but you will get the feedback directly from the hub.

You can shift three gears up or down. Shifting under load is possible higher-gear shifting is good lower-gear shifting can be really hard
up to impossible under motor load. However you can shift standing still anyway.
Shifting is basically instant and under load it sometimes sounds like injected.

Usage / Break in phase

Kindernay recommends an oil change after the break in phase of 500km.
I did 575km than a flush ride of 56km and 215km since then.
I think there is two things happening:
the hub will work itself in and gives you smoother operation also noise levels get lower over time and after oil change
and the learning curve of the user when how to switch etc.
And not to switch gears if you want do lower you're seatpost – did not take long to get fully used to this.

Its possible to shift half a gear did this a couple of times think that this gets better from the break in and user learning curve.
In the break in period I had two spontaneous shifts into half a gear could be from/ to the same gear but I dont know for sure.

The noise will go down during the break in phase and after the oil change, noise level/ sound depends on the gear.

I personally really appreciate the feedback directly from the hub when shifting, instant shifting and shifting standing still.
Have less problems with the chain eating things
yummy.png

The 58t cog equivalent is pretty nice.

I personally dont see myself going back to a derailleur.

kiner.jpg

Like this look aswell.

Wasnt sure if this works in reviews so i posted it here.

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
Interesting a little cheaper 7 speed 428% range and 200g lighter.

Link to hub:

New shifter:

I planed to buy a second Kindernay XIV this year but since i'm used to the two shifters i'll
stick to that. But i'm sure the new shifter will be an attractive option for
people looking for a gearhub.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I waa looking at it and ttying to find the weight and range. Weight sounds like thats right around the weight of a decent hub and deore 12spd drivetrain and possibly lighter. Not sure how the gear range % stacks up though. I think thats also close. 7spd sounds perfect. This is sounding really really good. Price difference is about 2x the price of an slx drivetrain with a decent hub. Ez to see it lasting atleast twice as long and having way less maintenance in that time period

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Id like to get one. At the top of my list to get over the winter. Im on the fence between the 2. Im not sure if the 428% range will be enough? Maybe it is? I use my 34 x 50 quite a bit for steep climbing and 34 x 15 a fair bit in the bike park and occasionslly 34 x 13 and im thinking of swapping to a 32t chainring for bigger alpine trails with steep climbing. In that case 32 x 13 and 32 x50 should cover things. Is that less than 428% ? The weight is very attractive if its as durable and maintenance/adjustment free S i think it is

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
The vii with 20t cog is similar with 10t to 43.8t and with 22t cog 10.6t to 45.8t. I used 50t once in blue moon so I’m thinking of not needing 50t. In the rare occasion I need it I can always switch to turbo.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The vii with 20t cog is similar with 10t to 43.8t and with 22t cog 10.6t to 45.8t. I used 50t once in blue moon so I’m thinking of not needing 50t. In the rare occasion I need it I can always switch to turbo.
Is there a chart to show the gearing for different rear cogs? Looks like a 28t would roughly equate to 14t - 52t but my marh could be flawed

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Unfortunately we weren't able to test it before they went to Eurobike. Hopefully we'll get to ride it within a couple of weeks.
Waiting for this. My main concern at this point is the speed sensor magnet and rotor replacement and strength

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

This is one of the better articles I've found on the new 7 comparing weight, and some decent postulates concerning the big jumps in ratio, when and where this works and when or where it won't.

I've committed to one of these, with the help of my LBS, for my Trance×~. For better or worse I'm in.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Im not sure if the 428% range will be enough? Maybe it is? I use my 34 x 50 quite a bit for steep climbing

This is where I am at as well. I'm already using a 32CR and I'm considering a 30T, becuase I wear out first gear on cassettes. But unlike yours, my riding involves almost nothing above 20MPH, so the total range of 428% is good, it just need to be low enough. I finally came around to the fact that 428% is a larger ratio than the Shimano 11speed which I've always found sufficient.

The gaps are almost double what I'm used to, but the article referenced in my previous post suggests that-for my billygoat style of riding- the large gaps may not be too bad. Hope springs eternally!

Also the website claims the disk for the 7 as a IS-standard 6 bolt. But the wordering? on the website sounds almost as if there may be options in cage choice, pertaining to the disk required, though nothing on the order form allows for it....spoke number was the only option we could find when ordering the cage.

Kindernay could do better, and would sell more, if the ordering process was built around providing complete kits based on bike models. Rather than order and cross your fingers.

We will see once it all arrives and only God knows when that will be.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
This is where I am at as well. I'm already using a 32CR and I'm considering a 30T, becuase I wear out first gear on cassettes. But unlike yours, my riding involves almost nothing above 20MPH, so the total range of 428% is good, it just need to be low enough. I finally came around to the fact that 428% is a larger ratio than the Shimano 11speed which I've always found sufficient.

The gaps are almost double what I'm used to, but the article referenced in my previous post suggests that-for my billygoat style of riding- the large gaps may not be too bad. Hope springs eternally!

Also the website claims the disk for the 7 as a IS-standard 6 bolt. But the wordering? on the website sounds almost as if there may be options in cage choice, pertaining to the disk required, though nothing on the order form allows for it....spoke number was the only option we could find when ordering the cage.

Kindernay could do better, and would sell more, if the ordering process was built around providing complete kits based on bike models. Rather than order and cross your fingers.

We will see once it all arrives and only God knows when that will be.
Thats some good intel. I rarely use the 2 smallest cogs on my 11-50 cassette. Its sounding good. 6 bolt rotor mounting standard would make the decision ez

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Thats some good intel. I rarely use the 2 smallest cogs on my 11-50 cassette. Its sounding good. 6 bolt rotor mounting standard would make the decision ez

At a glance, their SWAP Wheel Shell locks in using their proprietary 7-bolt disc. Looking at the photos it is unlikely there is any way to use an industry standard 6-bolt pattern.

Having the ability to use the same gear hub on multiple wheelsets offsets concern on my part over being locked into using their rotor. I don't think I've ever had to replace a rotor in several decades of riding. (though I have gotten skilled at tweaking them back into shape)

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
At a glance, their SWAP Wheel Shell locks in using their proprietary 7-bolt disc. Looking at the photos it is unlikely there is any way to use an industry standard 6-bolt pattern.

Having the ability to use the same gear hub on multiple wheelsets offsets concern on my part over being locked into using their rotor. I don't think I've ever had to replace a rotor in several decades of riding. (though I have gotten skilled at tweaking them back into shape)
Good point. Murphys law says i should have a spare rotor because as soon as i commit ill pooch a rotor. Workable though. That leaves the dpeed sensor set up. A lot of new bikes have the sensor attached to the rotor and the rear dropout. They should make sensor adapters to adjust the sensors in the dropouts to line up with a sensor mounted to their rotor bolt size

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
This was from the press release for the K7 and is the only reference I can find to the IS 6-bolt disk.

20211019_231706.jpg

I told my shop to try for the 6 bolt, but get one coming regardless. The shop says they have a shipper, and the K7 is on the way.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles