Article Kindernay XIV internal gear

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Anybody using the Kindernay? I'm considering one for my winter riding mudfest. I cant seem to fit a rolhoff to my Trance, and this at least looks plug and play.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Anybody using the Kindernay? I'm considering one for my winter riding mudfest. I cant seem to fit a rolhoff to my Trance, and this at least looks plug and play.

Did you fail their test ? It's not what you know, it's who you know ! :)

Another option ?

www.amazon.com/Fallbrook-Technologies-NuVinci-Internal-Bicycle/dp/B07MQW7RKJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2I2BDUWNH068W&dchild=1&keywords=nuvinci+n380&qid=1576616903&sprefix=nuvin%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-2

Just reading and not sure if that's the right one .. was looking for the 380 .. but anyway, there's several here :

www.amazon.com/s?k=nuvinci+n380&crid=2I2BDUWNH068W&sprefix=nuvin%2Caps%2C260&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I think from past research, the 360 might have been stronger ? but was lacking something the 380 had, but can't remember what !! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How did you get on with it @knut7 ??

@Christian .. another one for you to try.. €1200 ish ... I think you can change gear when under power ? as with the N380 as linked above, which I guess you've already long ago looked into.

Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
How did you get on with it @knut7 ??

@Christian .. another one for you to try.. €1200 ish ... I think you can change gear when under power ? as with the N380 as linked above, which I guess you've already long ago looked into.
Yes looked into it, general consensus was that it wasn’t as solid and reliable as the Rohloff. Also availability was an issue I think.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Did you fail their test ? It's not what you know, it's who you know ! :)

Another option ?

www.amazon.com/Fallbrook-Technologies-NuVinci-Internal-Bicycle/dp/B07MQW7RKJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2I2BDUWNH068W&dchild=1&keywords=nuvinci+n380&qid=1576616903&sprefix=nuvin%2Caps%2C260&sr=8-2

Just reading and not sure if that's the right one .. was looking for the 380 .. but anyway, there's several here :

www.amazon.com/s?k=nuvinci+n380&crid=2I2BDUWNH068W&sprefix=nuvin%2Caps%2C260&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I think from past research, the 360 might have been stronger ? but was lacking something the 380 had, but can't remember what !! :)
Yea, it looks like the Trance dropouts are not thick enough by .8mm to qualify for the rolhoff. It's never been harder to spend 2K.

Kindernay responded to my emails quickly, the hub is a true through axle, and they will lace a wheel for you as part of the kit. All of this is good.

I just cant find any reviews of the thing other than our knut7 video and that seems odd to me.

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I don't have any experience with the Rohloff, but the Kindernay gear hub seemed very solid. I could shift under high load in Boost mode (I rode it with a Shimano motor). Of course the shifters was pretty hard to operate when shifting under high load, perhaps the Rohloff shifters feels a bit more precise, I wouldn't know. A few times I wasn't completing the shifts properly.

When dropping down to Trail and Eco, shifting was more pleasant and I pretty much always completed the shifts properly, without thinking about it. In these modes, the motor drops current further down when pedaling lightly, thus improving shifting feel. When riding without motor assistance it felt really smooth and precise.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I don't have any experience with the Rohloff, but the Kindernay gear hub seemed very solid. I could shift under high load in Boost mode (I rode it with a Shimano motor). Of course the shifters was pretty hard to operate when shifting under high load, perhaps the Rohloff shifters feels a bit more precise, I wouldn't know. A few times I wasn't completing the shifts properly.

When dropping down to Trail and Eco, shifting was more pleasant and I pretty much always completed the shifts properly, without thinking about it. In these modes, the motor drops current further down when pedaling lightly, thus improving shifting feel. When riding without motor assistance it felt really smooth and precise.
Thanks for the information. You still using it, or did you switch back to a derailleur?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Thanks for the information. You still using it, or did you switch back to a derailleur?
I borrowed it for the review, rode it a few months and returned it. Now I'm riding the new 12-speed XT. I really like the light action of the shifter when shifting under load. But having the derailleur getting slightly out of tune every now and then is annoying.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles