Article Kindernay VII internal gear hub review

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Late 2021, Kindernay introduced their new internal gear hub, the Kindernay VII. This is a 7 speed drivetrain. Watch our video for the long and illustrated version of the test, or keep reading.

Details

The Kindernay VII costs € 999. For that you get the gear hub, the shifter and a cog for the hub. You also get a “hub cage”. The rear wheel is built around this cage. You have the option to buy additional hub cages to build more wheels. The hub can easily be moved from one wheel to another. If you install the gears on a full suspension bike, you will need the chain tensioner as well. And you’ll need a chain, or a belt.

c02_DSC07015-1024x574.jpg

The gear with the chain tensioner and all other necessary bits is about 1.900g. This isn’t much for an IGH. The new ebike specific Shimano XT 11-speed drivetrain is about 1.700g with a steel...

Continue reading...

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
i like the idea, however no mention of difficulties having to run 2 cables through an internally mounted frame. I think if I did this it would need to be a wireless setup.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
i like the idea, however no mention of difficulties having to run 2 cables through an internally mounted frame. I think if I did this it would need to be a wireless setup.
Yeah, that was probably worth a mention. Routing the cabels into the frame should be easy enough on many bikes. There's often enough entry holes around the head tube, but exiting the frame and going through the chainstays could be more of an issue. The holes are big enough for a nice integration on the test bike though.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yeah, that was probably worth a mention. Routing the cabels into the frame should be easy enough on many bikes. There's often enough entry holes around the head tube, but exiting the frame and going through the chainstays could be more of an issue. The holes are big enough for a nice integration on the test bike though.
would it be feasible to run one cable throught the chainstay and the other fixed to the underside of the chainstay?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
a geared rear hub in place of cassette and rear mech is surely the way to go with an EMTB...........unless someone comes up with the gearing change as an integral part of a mid mounted motor. Belt rather than chain also looks like progress. One day.........

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
would it be feasible to run one cable throught the chainstay and the other fixed to the underside of the chainstay?
Yeah, that should work. I rode the Kindernay XIV with both hoses strapped to the chainstay, on a 2019 Merida e160.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles