• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Kids emtb

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
Hi all, I want to get my nephew who has cerebral palsy an ebike. Hes 9 years old and apart from a few problems with his legs and slight balance is a very normal and bright child. I'm sure it's easy enough to get a little ebike but it's the stabilizers that he would need which are the issue. As you know ,when you corner at any reasonable rate with those things it can be dangerous. are there any that kind of allow the bike to lean in corners but not so much that wont help when not moving?

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
Cheers but hes quite a tall 9 year old so will probably be looking more towards a 24" wheel size. Its certainly on the right track though. He had a trike with a massive " granny " gear on it and his legs were flying around. I also seen him topple that thing and crack a bone in his elbow. Hence the stabilizers that flex.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Hi all, I want to get my nephew who has cerebral palsy an ebike. Hes 9 years old and apart from a few problems with his legs and slight balance is a very normal and bright child. I'm sure it's easy enough to get a little ebike but it's the stabilizers that he would need which are the issue. As you know ,when you corner at any reasonable rate with those things it can be dangerous. are there any that kind of allow the bike to lean in corners but not so much that wont help when not moving?
I know this may be a bit off topic and perhaps overly optimistic, but I like the idea that on this forum we support each other in situations like this. Maybe you can get a little crowdfunding going and maybe with that you can even get a producer like Cube or someone similar to create something specific to help, as it is good PR. I will throw in 20 quid to help out. If we get enough people together and Rob does a quick video, all of a sudden we have positive publicity for emtb's abd the chance to help. I know there may be other (more?) worthy casues, but I like the idea of getting a smile on a kids face based on something I love...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
These have some flex but not sure if they would be up to the job?

EZ Training Suspension Stabilisers

That is a nice and simple idea. I get that they are too small, but go with the idea. I'm sure that there are many workshops out there that could produce a bigger version just for your nephew. It's a long time ago now, but when I was at school doing metalwork (in the sixth form, so I was allowed in there without supervision), I used to make all sorts of stuff. I am certain that I could have made a set of those without much difficulty. In fact now I've thought about it, do any of the local senior schools still teach metalwork and could make a set for you? It would be a great project for some of the students to tackle, good press etc. Or maybe the local Technical College, anyone with a workshop. Going with this.... How about local engineering companies? The small ones may help out anyway, but I was thinking of the larger ones that might have an Apprentice Training School. The one I went to had incredibly well equipped workshops.

Contact the local newspaper, give some details and ask the readers if anyone can make a larger set. Nice human interest story.

Good luck! :)

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
That is a nice and simple idea. I get that they are too small, but go with the idea. I'm sure that there are many workshops out there that could produce a bigger version just for your nephew. It's a long time ago now, but when I was at school doing metalwork (in the sixth form, so I was allowed in there without supervision), I used to make all sorts of stuff. I am certain that I could have made a set of those without much difficulty. In fact now I've thought about it, do any of the local senior schools still teach metalwork and could make a set for you? It would be a great project for some of the students to tackle, good press etc. Or maybe the local Technical College, anyone with a workshop. Going with this.... How about local engineering companies? The small ones may help out anyway, but I was thinking of the larger ones that might have an Apprentice Training School. The one I went to had incredibly well equipped workshops.

Contact the local newspaper, give some details and ask the readers if anyone can make a larger set. Nice human interest story.

Good luck! :)
I love that idea. I'm also a toolmaker by trade and sure I could knock something up given enough time( I've been away from it for 20 years) In my head I've a fox shock at an angle on both stabilizers if you like with maybe just short travel to allow for cornering and taking a few knocks. Has to look cool

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
I know this may be a bit off topic and perhaps overly optimistic, but I like the idea that on this forum we support each other in situations like this. Maybe you can get a little crowdfunding going and maybe with that you can even get a producer like Cube or someone similar to create something specific to help, as it is good PR. I will throw in 20 quid to help out. If we get enough people together and Rob does a quick video, all of a sudden we have positive publicity for emtb's abd the chance to help. I know there may be other (more?) worthy casues, but I like the idea of getting a smile on a kids face based on something I love...
I love all of what your saying and I thank you sincerely, however I really couldn't be the person to even think of doing anything remotely like that. But, again thankyou.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I love that idea. I'm also a toolmaker by trade and sure I could knock something up given enough time( I've been away from it for 20 years) In my head I've a fox shock at an angle on both stabilizers if you like with maybe just short travel to allow for cornering and taking a few knocks. Has to look cool

Now you're talking! But that could be expensive! :eek:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I also would not consider a 24" bike as the options are few and he will grow out of it too soon, I faced the same dilemma with my son so bought a 27.5" in small and fitted 26" wheels and a shorter stem it is now back to original after 2 years. Moving the seat forward helped as well but I wished it had a dropper post as this would have made it easier for him at the time.

Welshrobinireland

Patreon
Mar 24, 2018
Ireland
I also would not consider a 24" bike as the options are few and he will grow out of it too soon, I faced the same dilemma with my son so bought a 27.5" in small and fitted 26" wheels and a shorter stem it is now back to original after 2 years. Moving the seat forward helped as well but I wished it had a dropper post as this would have made it easier for him at the time.
I was thinking of an xs womens bike also. They dont all have pink and stuff decals.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles