Kenny G1 knee pads and the bike industry

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After a 30 year break I've recently returned to cycling, initially with a cheap mountain bike - but I couldn't keep up with the OH on horseback. So then EMTB....

A few months ago I went along on an evening ride from the local bike shop. Wearing a fleece and work trousers with knee pads in, I was the only person there who looked like they'd come to collect pizza.

Realising it was time to get something more appropriate and easier to ride in, the next day I went in and ordered a kenny mtb top, shorts and G1 knee pads. Three days later, they should be in ...

Two weeks later .... my things arrived. Being a small shop I can only guess he waits until he has several orders to save on postage and doesn't believe in the theory of under promise, over deliver.

The top and shorts are great. Much cooler and more comfortable than completely inappropriate clothing. :)

The knee pads were another story. They were "L" rather than the "M" ordered and the insides were hairy ! The left thigh section appeared stretched and the right thigh section was huge, 25% larger than the left one. I gritted my teeth and tried them. ok on the calf's . Bearable, but loose, on the left thigh and huge on the right thigh. My conclusion was that they'd either been tested by a hairy gorilla with a limp - hence the one larger leg. Or worse, an eco-Gigolo wore them on the back after a hard days work and there was more than just a thigh tucked in the right one and that wasn't just leg hair..

So I re-ordered a pair of size M. Three days later, they should be in ...

Two weeks later ... they arrived. Again they were extensively stretched and had no elasticity left.

I gave up with the Kenny's and ordered some Sam Hill's in size M. Three days later, they should be in ...

After a week I was getting quite impatient and popped in every few days in the hope that they'd arrived and he'd forgotten to tell me. Alas no, "this afternoon or tomorrow" ...

Three and half weeks later I'd had enough and e-mailed him to cancel the order. "No, it's not possible, they should arrive this afternoon or tomorrow" .....

I went in the next day to ask if they were ever actually going to arrive ... they'd arrived that morning ..

Fortunately, they're great. I'm new and fall off a lot, so they've already been well tested (twice on the way home) and have been faultless. The inner plastic panel sometimes feels like it pinches a little when you put them on, but after 5 minutes once they've warmed up, you don't know you've got them on.

For the kenny stuff, I guess they have a little office dealing with small order bike shops and they just send back out their returns. It's a shame, I quite like their stuff but won't be ordering anymore on principle.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I've finally made it to fully qualified cantankerous old git ? or is this just normal in the modern bike industry ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles